Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
naw I will...just a little

I was one of the only few that suggested that Cassidy get a shot =P

Yeah, I was not one of them.

I didn’t like the way it ended in Washington for him the first time around (he was very young) and I thought that the stress of being a head coach might be a bit too much for him (I heard that he was always much calmer and more measured in an assistant’s role).

He obviously went back to work on his game after his failed first HC job. I was told that he’s a brilliant X’s and O’s guy, but his people skills were sometimes lacking. I can see that a bit, but I think he’s done a great job since taking over. Better than I ever would have expected.

Reactions: Thrive

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Washington at that time was inexperienced, now this is approximately the same era when Nashville took Poile as their GM and took Trotz from Portland, even though now, the Capitals seem to have reversed course.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Cassidy is a tremendous coach. The thing for me is i think the players love the guy and would skate through a wall for him. Plus being in the organization for so long helps him and the whole process run smoothly from player to player. Plus he played the game.

He will be here for a long time i think.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Cassidy is a tremendous coach. The thing for me is i think the players love the guy and would skate through a wall for him. Plus being in the organization for so long helps him and the whole process run smoothly from player to player. Plus he played the game.

He will be here for a long time i think.

Are there any NHL coaches that didn't play the game?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It was a good call. I didn't know much about him when we hired him except that he had been HC at Prov and was on Clode's staff. I liked him from the get go, and glad that was the move we made rather than hire another NHL re-tread. Gallant probably would have been a good hire, had he been available and interested, but I am more than happy with the guy we got.
I don't think Gallant would have the same success here with the Bruins, and if Cassidy had been hired in Vegas, I don't think he'd have the same success there. I think they are both in their right spots. Vegas needed that veteran structure with so many players that don't know each other. And the Bruins needed a breath of fresh air and a coach that trusts them to play their game.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I don't think Gallant would have the same success here with the Bruins, and if Cassidy had been hired in Vegas, I don't think he'd have the same success there. I think they are both in their right spots. Vegas needed that veteran structure with so many players that don't know each other. And the Bruins needed a breath of fresh air and a coach that trusts them to play their game.

I think it helped Cassidy to have been a part of the organization and work with many of these players before as well

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I read what Cassidy says sometimes and wonder if its too "frank"

Prior to game 3 he said Acciari has done a good job centering the third line... but he is not as good as passer as Riley

Today he stated that, Nick did a good job bringing out the puck himself out of the defensive zone zone, but Grz is better at it (along these lines)

While these things are true... I dont think he should pin point it the way he does sometimes

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Prior to game 3 he said Acciari has done a good job centering the third line... but he is not as good as passer as Riley

Today he stated that, Nick did a good job bringing out the puck himself out of the defensive zone zone, but Grz is better at it (along these lines)

While these things are true... I dont think he should pin point it the way he does sometimes

This doesn't seem like anything to me.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

These guys are professionals and have been playing the game a long time, they don't need anyone else to point out when someone else is better at a particular thing. They already know it. The head coach acknowledging it isn't gonna change that.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Game 7 is big for Bruce I'd think. Doesn't want to start his playoff career 0/2 with a big 3-1 series choke.

I think at this point I take my chances with Donato if I'm him...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Are there any NHL coaches that didn't play the game?
At least half the coaches in the league never made it to the NHL as a player (including Babcock, Cooper, DeBoer, Maurice, and Trotz, who are all still in the playoffs)

Pat Burns was a policeman before deciding to try coaching.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Game 7 is big for Bruce I'd think. Doesn't want to start his playoff career 0/2 with a big 3-1 series choke.

I think at this point I take my chances with Donato if I'm him...

I either do nothing.

OR I maybe put Donato and Heinen in together. You have to pick someone other than Wingels to sit.

Kuraly and Acciari have been too good to be considered of course but I can't say the same for Schaller.

First line
DeBrusk-Krjeci-Donato
Nash-Nash-Heinen
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes

That looks better than what we did tonight to me?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Overall I think Cassidy has done a very good job this series

My take is the Leafs won the eyeball test in one game (4) and ironically they lost it

Easy to blame cosch or goalie

Rask gets an A last night

Cassidy in series gets two thumbs up so far

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Overall I think Cassidy has done a very good job this series

My take is the Leafs won the eyeball test in one game (4) and ironically they lost it

Easy to blame cosch or goalie

Rask gets an A last night

Cassidy in series gets two thumbs up so far

Wingels in game 6 though. Must have come from above. I don’t believe he did that.

Leafs players look like they are buying into Babcocks leadership. Cassidy seems to be tuned out

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Donato
Rick-Kuraly-Backes
Heinen-Riley-Acciari

I don't know what the answer is, but why the heck not go for it, Bruce? :rolly:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My lineup is the one that got them 112 points

Heinen back in

63-37-88

74-46-43

61-20-42

4th

Do Not pull McQuaid- I'll lose it

I feel extremely confident this game

Reactions: KrejciMVP

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wingels in game 6 though. Must have come from above. I don’t believe he did that.

Leafs players look like they are buying into Babcocks leadership. Cassidy seems to be tuned out
No way

Wingels blocked 4 shots in game 4 and was solid with Sharks in their run

Heinen - I Love- but he's been a bit nonexistent and Cassidy went with Wingels

As a coach I 100% would have knocked this around

Zero chance it came above

Heck we talked about the lineup yesterday at lunch and how good Wingels was in Toronto game 4

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No way

Heck we talked about the lineup yesterday at lunch and how good Wingels was in Toronto game 4

Wingels in the 3rd or 4th line sure but on Krejcis line in a game 6 is up there with the Malcom Butler move. It’s the riskiest move I’ve seen in years. Wingels would be probably 5th on the depth chart for that spot

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
hard to criticize a guy who`s played a huge role in providing this fan with some real fun hockey however, he`s got to STOP over thinking things.

Wingles didn`t cost the B`s the game last night but there is no reason to take Heinen out of the lineup for him. The ONLY move I would have made if I felt like I had to do something is put a guy like Gionta in the lineup with hopes the vet can score an ugly one but still, I stated leading into this game that making a move like this sent the wrong message to the team

This is the same group that popped plenty of goals over the first two games, no reason they still can`t but I gotta tell ya, don`t at all feel good about game 7

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No way

By solid you mean the whole 2 goals in 22 playoff games.

Wingels is a plug, and has zero business on a scoring line.

I'm disappointed in Sweeney and Cassidy. Sweeney for giving Cassidy plugs like Wingels to dress, and Cassidy for dressing plugs like Wingels. I thought Cassidy was smarter than that.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Wingles for Heinen was a smart choice. Heinen is invisible. And worse, he is soft invisible. Wingles gets involved. He is a physical force as well on the forecheck and has speed. Breaking this down Heinen for Wingles and thinking it made a difference is grasping at straws.

For me, this is on Marchand and Pasta and Bergie. They are minus 17 in games 3-5 and 6. Maybe Bergie is really hurt ? But it is almost amazing how this line has disappeared. They seem to not understand that scoring comes harder in the playoffs and when you dont score....You need to play defense. These guys are not playing 200 foot hockey. Bergie included.

Rick Nash has done great things except score. It is hard to score in the playoffs. But times up.

Rask has also been outplayed. As per usual. RASK supporters will never blame him, But the whole hockey world knows now that Rask is not a big time goalie............Yet that can always change and we can always hope.

Cassidy has been afraid to match Babcocks changes.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wingles for Heinen was a smart choice. Heinen is invisible. And worse, he is soft invisible. Wingles gets involved. He is a physical force as well on the forecheck and has speed. Breaking this down Heinen for Wingles and thinking it made a difference is grasping at straws.

For me, this is on Marchand and Pasta and Bergie. They are minus 17 in games 3-5 and 6. Maybe Bergie is really hurt ? But it is almost amazing how this line has disappeared. They seem to not understand that scoring comes harder in the playoffs and when you dont score....You need to play defense. These guys are not playing 200 foot hockey. Bergie included.

Rick Nash has done great things except score. It is hard to score in the playoffs. But times up.

Rask has also been outplayed. As per usual. RASK supporters will never blame him, But the whole hockey world knows now that Rask is not a big time goalie............Yet that can always change and we can always hope.

Cassidy has been afraid to match Babcocks changes.

What a really poor view of what's happening. Bergy's line had 12 shots on net,they are dominant,a lot! But because they are down low,controlling the game so much,they get caught if there is any giveaway or mishandle or simply losing the puck. Their offensive zone time is absolutely dominant. If they were converting at 15% (season average) they would have 4 goals in the last 2 games. The problem is they are not converting at their average,not that they are not playing good defense. Now,here we go with Krejic who has been awful,7 shots on net in 6 games and he and his linemates have totaled 30. Bergy's line has 64 with 7 hit posts. Why are the Bruins losing? Inability to convert the last 2 games by the first line, and then everyone else,not poor play.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad