Bruce Boudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Will he coach another team before calling it a day?
It's sad that Lindy Ruff keeps getting coaching jobs and yet Bruce Boudreau is still without a job. Ironically, if Bruce does what Lindy did, he could be back as a coach, as in take an Assistant Coach gig somewhere for a year or two and bide his time. Although at his age and maybe his health? He might want to just call it a career in coaching and move into some management or that cushy "scout" role that allows him to stay where he wants to stay and scout the area.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Naw, he’s almost 70 and not in good shape. (Not that he ever was)

He’s on NHL Network and I don’t claim to be a genius but i disagree with his analysis very frequently. Outdated, simplistic views

Hard to see him reaching young guys in the league these days

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Doubtful, the guy is a dinosaur. Time to retire

If this crusty old wanker can get a gig as a coach again when he really shouldn't, Bruce should have at least gotten a few calls. Ruff is a terrible coach.

He’s not a good coach (anymore).
Funny Canucks fans say this, he never coached an actual full season in Vancouver. He came over after Green was fired, had a .649 win percentage, then had a rough half season the next year and was canned.

Edit: Bruce is 69yrs old, even at 64 for Ruff that's pretty up there in age and Hitchcock knew when he needed to call it quits so for Bruce's sake at his age, the travel, stress, etc he should be looking at a head office job somewhere really. I know a lot of his ex players love the bloke, he's a very well liked coach so I am shocked he hasn't gotten a job somewhere in a different capacity. Even Jacques Martin didn't really want to coach, he is 71, the last thing he wanted was to be thrown back into coaching.

Coaches are being hired younger with "older coaches" now being in their early 50's. It's funny when Bylsma was hired he was very young and now he's returning at 53. Carbery, a fantastic coach imo, spent over a decade learning as a coach before he got his head coaching job at 42 and blokes think he's young (Dan was 38 with less experience, which is crazy to think about now).

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I mean, the Sabres aren’t exactly known for intelligent coaching choices. What’s he supposed to do, say no?
Oh I'm not saying it's Ruff's fault at all. Him being hired is Buffalo doing its desperation bid by hiring a clueless coach that a decade ago, was someone they used to respect as a coach. Ruff's ego wouldnt let him retire, it's not his fault someone still offered him a job instead of hiring someone better (Gallant, McLellan, Woodcroft, Nelson...)

Brunette inflated his 2022-23 season and then Ruff lost him to a head coaching gig and was so out of his depth he was asking what he should do lol. Somehow he's a bloke the Sabres hired to help them. Bruce is a better coach. But at this age, Bruce is likely better off retiring from coaching and go be a scout and just relax.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

If this crusty old wanker can get a gig as a coach again when he really shouldn't,

giphy.webp

Reactions: Voight

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Always thought he was decent head coach but he did a bad job with that Vancouver team in 22-23, zero structure or accountability

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
What does shape have to do with it for a coach?

One of the reasons DJ Smith wasn't fired earlier last year was because Jacques Martin is too old and has minor medical conditions. It's difficult/dangeorus to have him on the ice, which a coach kinda has to do in practice. It got a point where the Sens had to do something, so Martin filled in the rest of the year but was always going to be stepping back once a true replacement was hired.

I'm not sure if this applied to Boudreau, but I figured I'd answer your question as it seemed at least somewhat relevant.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sullivan is a top coach in the league, but every coach has an expiration date. His players don't play hard for him and his message is stale. It's difficult to take a coach seriously after so many years of being yelled at when you realize that it means nothing and there's no consequences for poor play.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I have a feeling that he doesn't want to coach anymore. He's getting up there in years, his style doesn't work anymore and I don't think he would have the time or patience to learn and implement structure that he lacked.

He said that, when he got hired in Vancouver, that one of his dreams was to coach a Canadian team and he got that. I bet that his fan adoration during his time here, to when everyone knew he was done, would have been his swansong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad