Bruce Boudreau replaces Randy Carlyle as coach of the Ducks

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Time to fire Bruce and bring back Randy? This team needs some discipline.

No. Hell no.

There are things I liked about Carlyle as a coach, but the team has definitely moved on from him. Firing Bruce and hiring Carlyle would be, in my opinion, a step backwards. A big one.

I do think Bruce needs to prove he can adapt and put together a better game plan in the playoffs, and I've pretty consistently felt he's been out coached there, but even if we reach the point where he needs to go(and failing to get anywhere in the playoffs this season may be that point), Carlyle is absolutely not the guy we need to be bringing in to replace him.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
If the Ducks make an early exit from the playoffs again, I hope BM makes a hard pitch for Babcock.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I would love Mike Babcock but weren't not going to be able to throw the type of coin at him that we'd need to in order to interest him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Agreed on all counts. I'm also hoping that he's trying something new. The opposing defense is reading our team like a book. Virtually every shot is telegraphed. Little in the way of East-West play. It's all so frustrating, especially with the man advantage.

Edit: Haha, well, I should have noticed that this thread rose from the dead. DVM's comments above do reflect my current feelings about our offense, though.

I was reading it going "when the hell did I write that?"

:laugh:

And yet still an accurate comment. That's depressing.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I would love Mike Babcock but weren't not going to be able to throw the type of coin at him that we'd need to in order to interest him.

If BM can make a case for Babcock, maybe the Samuelis will open up the purse strings and the budget.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Babcock would definitely be my dream coach. I'm not blind to the fact he has faults, but any coach does, and I still think he's one of the top coaches in the league.

I just really have an issue with Boudreau's insistence on rolling the lines, and it seems to be something he wants to do regardless of the situation. It's something that, I feel, has cost us in the playoffs, and I'm afraid it will continue to. I just wish it felt like he matched lines intelligently when the situation calls for it. That and the prevent defense, combined with the team not seemingly giving it full effort until they are behind(though, to be fair, this could also be a personnel thing, since it seemed to happen under Carlyle too). The special teams issues are just frustrating.

All in all, I like a lot of things about the team, but I can't shake the feeling that they could be better if Boudreau made a few tweaks, and was smarter about a few things.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Babcock would definitely be my dream coach. I'm not blind to the fact he has faults, but any coach does, and I still think he's one of the top coaches in the league.

I just really have an issue with Boudreau's insistence on rolling the lines, and it seems to be something he wants to do regardless of the situation. It's something that, I feel, has cost us in the playoffs, and I'm afraid it will continue to. I just wish it felt like he matched lines intelligently when the situation calls for it. That and the prevent defense, combined with the team not seemingly giving it full effort until they are behind(though, to be fair, this could also be a personnel thing, since it seemed to happen under Carlyle too). The special teams issues are just frustrating.

All in all, I like a lot of things about the team, but I can't shake the feeling that they could be better if Boudreau made a few tweaks, and was smarter about a few things.

Boudreau would make a great assistant coach. Motivating, soothing hurt egos. I'd prefer a smarter man with a clearer vision as head coach.

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
I would love to get Babcock here too but so do like 10 other teams throughout the league. Besides the Red Wings, I'm sure Toronto and Edmonton will be going after him hard.

Why would he choose Anaheim over other teams? Think about it. If he goes to Toronto, turns that team around and wins the Stanley Cup, he could become Canada's prime minister.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Carlyle has a better playoff record than Babcock and actually doesnt play a wuss no hit no fight lineup. If this team decides to play Detroit style hockey i wont watch

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

The funny thing is, the exact opposite of your criticism is what got Randy fired. Obviously a middle ground is nice, but I like what BB is doing.

I think it'll pay off hugely come playoff time. If you think about it, every night is a tight game with this team, and if he leaned on the usual suspects harder every time, eventually fatigue might set in. So there's that. Another huge plus is that everyone will be battle tested once the games start to actually matter. I like the idea of Vatanen and Stoner out there in a crucial situation now, so if it happens in the playoffs(say, on an icing after a long shift), they'll have experience to lean on.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Carlyle has a better playoff record than Babcock and actually doesnt play a wuss no hit no fight lineup. If this team decides to play Detroit style hockey i wont watch

It is difficult for Carlyle's playoff record to change when he doesn't make the playoffs, Dirk. Without cherry picking stats(which is the only way to argue that Carlyle's record is really better than Babcock's), I'd take Babcock's playoff record over Carlyle's every day of the week. Three Stanley Cup Final appearances, come to mind, including a back to back appearance.

Really, dude, you're barking up the wrong tree with your "Detroit hockey style" argument. Babcock has been more successful. The only way you can deny that is by putting your fingers in your ears and humming.

I was one of Carlyle's supporters while he was here, but there is no denying that he benefitted hugely from having arguably the best post lockout team at his disposal. By that same token, he failed to get it done without that team. He had some pretty good teams after, too. They were flawed teams, without a doubt, but most teams are flawed. How do you think his record looks if he keeps slipping into the playoffs with Toronto, instead of outright missing them? How is it that you're basically giving Carlyle credit for not making the playoffs, when Babcock consistently makes it? You do realize that's what you're doing, right?

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
Bruce is fine. It's really more up to BM to finally put together roster that can go deep in POs. Ducks still need to plug few holes.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Bruce is fine. It's really more up to BM to finally put together roster that can go deep in POs. Ducks still need to plug few holes.
We had that roster last year. They fell apart with the series lead and two shots to get it right. They may not have won the cup, but it's not on Murray's shoulders that they didn't make it to a series against Chicago.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Boudreau has some massive flaws that so far he refuses to address or adapt to. Sojourn pointed some of them out. At a certain point, he's going to need to swallow his pride and admit that he is incapable of making our PP successful. It's not going to magically change after two years of poor results unless he allows someone else to coach it. All in all, I don't like him as a coach much at all. I don't feel he's a great tactical coach and he's right now in the process of running our goalie into the ground in JANUARY. I would be very happy if we managed to get rid of him in the near future

Carlyle has different flaws too and that's why he's been fired twice now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad