Confirmed with Link: Brown back 1yr $1M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I can't help but be amused that people are happy to see Brown back after he was basically dubbed Conner "the killer of puppies" Brown for most of the season around here. Amazing what a decent playoff run can do for someone's reputation. :laugh:

Hopefully we get a Janmark signing soon and these two guys who were so important to the run tot he cup finals can anchor a great 3rd line going into next year.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can I complain about the bonus now or are we still only counting this as a $1mill contract? :sarcasm:
I'm glad Brown liked playing for us enough that he signed for cheap

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
BROWNIES BACK BABY!

My hope/prediction for his contract happened. When he was going through his goalless streak I was banking on him to turn it around at the end of the season and finally show his true form. Didn't think it would happen so late in the playoffs, but thank god it happened. Now we can average out his unearned bonus and what was once a crappy contract becomes a great value contract.

Brown's PKing alone is worth 1M. Now that his legs are back, we can finally make him the Top 6 Wing we envisioned. This contract is going to be a home run.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I can't help but be amused that people are happy to see Brown back after he was basically dubbed Conner "the killer of puppies" Brown for most of the season around here. Amazing what a decent playoff run can do for someone's reputation. :laugh:

Hopefully we get a Janmark signing soon and these two guys who were so important to the run tot he cup finals can anchor a great 3rd line going into next year.

I think, logically, a lot of fans expect him to have turned a corner after healing up from a very nasty injury

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I appreciate Brown doing the right thing. He wasn’t good value for his contract last year. Signing for $1 million this season shows that he recognizes that and wants to earn his money.

I would respectfully ask the posters who don’t like this player to consider the integrity that shows and refrain from double counting his bonus. By that I mean if you spent all last season calling Brown a $4 million player, then have the decency to recognize that he’s a $1 million player this year.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
You do realize that the $3.25M bonus was going to count against our cap this year whether he signed here or not, right?
Yes.
But people were defending him early last year saying he was a league min because the bonus would hit next year. Saying his play for league minimum was good enough

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
The oilers are good enough team that we can afford to carry a few players that show most their value in the playoffs.

It is not like when we were needing everything to work out to get a final playoff spot years back.

He brought a lot to the playoffs and is a player we would give up a draft pick to get at the deadline. So whatever he brings in the season is bonus but it will likely be better than last year

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Did not think he'd be back, especially at this price. From what In understand, it took Brown half the year before he started feeling healthy again, and the way he played certainly reflected that. I can see him having a good year next season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Brown when negotiating his resigning: "we got something special here, and I want to be a part of it"

JJ said Brown signing for 1M really snowballed free agency day for the other free agents. Appreciates that Brown saw the big picture here.

01a.gifv

In all seriousness, Brown setting the example by taking a deal to stay is commendable, like JJ said, it influenced the other returning UFAs, his linemates, coincidentally. They probably wanted to play together again as a line as well, their best memories made when they really took off in the last two rounds.

While Skinner and Arvidsson were probably less influenced by Brown taking a deal, they were also both offered more elsewhere, no?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
01a.gifv

In all seriousness, Brown setting the example by taking a deal to stay is commendable, like JJ said, it influenced the other returning UFAs, his linemates, coincidentally. They probably wanted to play together again as a line as well, their best memories made when they really took off in the last two rounds.

While Skinner and Arvidsson were probably less influenced by Brown taking a deal, they were also both offered more elsewhere, no?
Very commendable. JJ said he's known him for a long time and he's a great guy. This confirms it, very high character and has his priorities straight.

JJ also said the Brown we saw in the playoffs is the real Brown now that's finally recovered from the knee surgery. He's gonna be great this year and set himself up for a real pay day.

Skinner for sure was, he was courted by a bunch of teams listening to his interview. Ditto with Henrique, it's been confirmed he turned down more money in WPG and an offer from Tampa. And probably on Arvie too, although I haven't heard confirmation yet I don't think.

Reactions: Oilhawks

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Brown when negotiating his resigning: "we got something special here, and I want to be a part of it"

JJ said Brown signing for 1M really snowballed free agency day for the other free agents. Appreciates that Brown saw the big picture here.
Brown will score a lot this year. lol

Did not think he'd be back, especially at this price. From what In understand, it took Brown half the year before he started feeling healthy again, and the way he played certainly reflected that. I can see him having a good year next season.
He only started to play well in the playoffs, and not until the Dallas series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Brown will score a lot this year. lol

He only started to play well in the playoffs, and not until the Dallas series.
Oh yeh. We didn't even see the "Real" Brown until the the end of the season and playoffs as JJ put it. Brown should look like the player he was in Ottawa for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks even better now that he's gelled with a team, a much better team that Ottawa at that.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Oh yeh. We didn't even see the "Real" Brown until the the end of the season and playoffs as JJ put it. Brown should look like the player he was in Ottawa for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks even better now that he's gelled with a team, a much better team that Ottawa at that.
Maybe he will actually become a 4M player this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad