Proposal: Bros Before Foes (edited): OTT + CGY + ARI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
EDIT: Added Connor Brown and Pitlick to the deal, with T.B.'s 2022 2nd now going to Arizona instead of Calgary. This was actually how the proposal was originally typed out, but I changed it up at the last second because of Ottawa's need for RWers. But, I do think Brown's inclusion helps balance out the value a little more, so he's back in...

Ottawa out: 2022 1st (top 1 protected), 2022 2nd, T.B.'s 2022 2nd, Connor Brown (50% retained), Murray
Ottawa in: M. Tkachuk (extended), Pitlick

Calgary out: Tkachuk, Pitlick, Lucic
Calgary in: Keller, Schmaltz, Connor Brown (50% retained)

Arizona out: Keller, Schmaltz
Arizona in: OTT's 2022 1st (top 1 protected), OTT's 2022 2nd, T.B.'s 2022 2nd, Lucic, Murray

Ottawa add the other Tkachuk brother to their long term core without parting with any of their prospects, while also dumping the final 3 years of Murray's contract

Calgary essentially get an entire 2nd line for Tkachuk and couple of 4th liners. 2 of those incoming players are in the early part of their prime and signed long term

Arizona add OTT's 2022 1st (top 1 protected), OTT's 2022 2nd rd pick, and T.B.'s 2022 2nd, while clearing the long term contracts of Keller and Schmaltz - both of whom are overpaid relative to their production and will be paid salaries greater than their cap hits in the final years of their contracts. Murray gives them a warm body to put in goal during their rebuild, while Lucic's contract will help them reach the cap floor next season

Possible Calgary top 9:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Keller - Schwartz - Brown
Coleman - Backlund - Mangiapane/Dube

With 10 quality forwards who are all deserving of spots in the top 6, Calgary is well positioned to move Gaudreau at the deadline for futures knowing they have an adequate replacement already on the roster

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
So a 1st n 2 2nds ( one probably late) for Matthew is the cost for Ott? I'm sure they say hell ya lol
And Calgary gets, as you put it, 2 overpaid for their production Fs from Zona, n a late 2nd for Matthew? That's a hell no.
Zona gets a 1st n 2nd for those 2 players? Meh, might be able to get more, maybe not.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ottawa out: 2022 1st (top 1 protected), 2022 2nd, T.B.'s 2022 2nd, Murray
Ottawa in: M. Tkachuk (extended)

Calgary out: Tkachuk, Lucic
Calgary in: Keller, Schmaltz, T.B.'2 2022 2nd

Arizona out: Keller, Schmaltz
Arizona in: OTT's 2022 1st (top 1 protected), OTT's 2022 2nd, Lucic, Murray

Ottawa add the other Tkachuk brother to their long term core without parting with any of their prospects, while also dumping the final 3 years of Murray's contract

Calgary get a couple of top 6 forwards signed long term as they hope to remain competitive in a post-Tkachuk era. They also pick up a late 2022 2nd rd pick while dumping the final 2 years of Lucic's contract

Arizona add OTT's 2022 1st (top 1 protected) and OTT's 2022 2nd rd pick while clearing the long term contracts of Keller and Schmaltz - both of whom are overpaid relative to their production and will be paid salaries greater than their cap hits in the final years of their contracts. Murray gives them a warm body to put in goal during their rebuild, while Lucic's contract will help them reach the cap floor next season

Lazy offer, lazy title.

You do not get an extended Matthew Tkachuk for what is probably going to be around pick 10, two seconds, and a goalie who you're f***ing dying to get out of Ottawa for some reason.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Id trade Tkachuk for:

Pinto/Formenton + 1st 2022 + Brown/Paul

or

Batherson/Norris/Sanderson + something tbd

or

Timmy Stutz straight up

Reactions: Akrapovince

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Id trade Tkachuk for:

or

or

Timmy Stutz straight up

Formenton + 1st + Brown/Paul is a deal that's easy to make from Ottawa's perspective and only really close to decent for CGY if Matthew is very limited in terms of who he would extend with (which, if it's the case, I doubt it would benefit Ottawa). So, I think that is a little low. No way I'm adding Pinto to 1st + Brown/Paul, though.... the gap between Pinto and Formenton is pretty sizeable.

Norris + could make sense, but I would want a better idea of what Norris looking to extend for... if we could get him around Batherson's price, no dice.

Batherson, probably no dice given what M. Tkachuk will be extended for. No chance for Sanderson or Stutzle.

Not saying your values are off... just don't think they are right for Ottawa. That said, I don't think Matthew to Ottawa makes any real sense due to a) salary b) position c) culture. And that third point isn't a knock on Matthew, I think he is a great culture player, I just think we have a special group here and Brady has a special role within it and I think that dynamic would really shift if we added Brady's big bro.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Id trade Tkachuk for:

or

or

Timmy Stutz straight up

Tkachuk's a solid 1st line winger, but he's not a superstar, IMO...

I wouldn't give up Stutzle for him

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Lol at Ottawa taking on 2 cap dumps while giving up 2 solid pieces to recieve a pick that has no chance of being Wright and a 2nd rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prairie Habs

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So a 1st n 2 2nds ( one probably late) for Matthew is the cost for Ott? I'm sure they say hell ya lol
And Calgary gets, as you put it, 2 overpaid for their production Fs from Zona, n a late 2nd for Matthew? That's a hell no.
Zona gets a 1st n 2nd for those 2 players? Meh, might be able to get more, maybe not.

Tkachuk is nearing UFA, so if he's only willing to sign an extension with a handful of teams, it'll be tough for Calgary to receive premium assets in return

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
As a Sens fan, I wouldn't say no to this, but I could be a little biased lol. We're never gonna get a trade offer this good.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
The outgoing 2022 1st rd pick could end up 2nd overall...

It will most likely be closer to 10th than 2nd, very slim chance of it being that high. But I support your effort to sell it. Doubt anyone will bite though

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It will most likely be closer to 10th than 2nd, very slim chance of it being that high. But I support your effort to sell it. Doubt anyone will bite though

It's certainly possible Gustavsson is ready to emerge a legit starter, but if not, Ottawa's goaltending situation doesn't inspire much optimism...

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Id trade Tkachuk for:

or

or

Timmy Stutz straight up

Very, very reasonable take here. Good job.
Only thing is Pinto and Formenton are in two very different realms of prospect.

If you take Formenton in the package you’d get a lot more in the deal. If you take Pinto a lot less.

Tbh I don’t know how Formenton + Brown + 1st round pick gets us Tkachuk but I would be down

If Matt can play RW it does kind of makes sense.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
It's certainly possible Gustavsson is ready to emerge a legit starter, but if not, Ottawa's goaltending situation doesn't inspire much optimism...

Goaltending still is a big question mark, but Forseberg and Gus are proving to be decent backups. You'd also think Murray has to earn at least half of his contract at some point, hoping this would be the year if he can get healthy enough. Defence is also a bit better overall and the entire team is maturing as a whole, so don't think we'll be as horrible as the last 4 years, things would really have to go sideways if we end up a lottery team again this year.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Keller and Schmaltz combined for .62 PPG last season, which averages out to a 51 point pace each over 82 games

Tkachuk and Lucic combined for .59 PPG last season, which averages out to a 48 point pace each over 82 games

So, Calgary isn't losing any offense with this trade, and it's reasonable to think that Keller and Schmaltz may improve their production in Calgary since they wouldn't be facing the other team's top defensive unit every shift

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well at least this version doesn't have the Coyotes destroyed AND taking on 4 veteran contracts.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Tkachuk is nearing UFA, so if he's only willing to sign an extension with a handful of teams, it'll be tough for Calgary to receive premium assets in return

Disagree. Traded now he would return a lot. You get two full seasons plus a year of exclusive negotiating rights, plus the ability to recoup some return at the 2023 deadline if you can't sign him. At that deadline as a pending UFA his trade value is significantly less than now.

Compare what Ottawa paid for Duchene versus what they traded him for, despite him being a near ppg game player with them (107p in 108gp). Timing is everything.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If Ottawa is trading away their first its in a package for a stud center.

They don't need another winger, even if his name is Tkachuk.

Also your trade proposals are awful

Reactions: Sting

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ahh the old attempt to collectively screw over two teams less in the hopes they don't notice and one team makes out like bandits threeway deal.

OP would you take a 1st and a couple of seconds for your Tkachuk?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ahh the old attempt to collectively screw over two teams less in the hopes they don't notice and one team makes out like bandits threeway deal.

OP would you take a 1st and a couple of seconds for your Tkachuk?

Calgary isn't getting a 1st and a couple of 2nds for Tkachuk...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Disagree. Traded now he would return a lot. You get two full seasons plus a year of exclusive negotiating rights, plus the ability to recoup some return at the 2023 deadline if you can't sign him. At that deadline as a pending UFA his trade value is significantly less than now.

Compare what Ottawa paid for Duchene versus what they traded him for, despite him being a near ppg game player with them (107p in 108gp). Timing is everything.

Show your work...

Tell me the team that trades for Tkachuk without an extension and what they'd be willing to give up... be specific with the names of prospects/players going the other way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad