Value of: Brock Nelson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You're thought process may make sense if he signs a 1-year contract, but what are the odds of that?

If Brock signs a 1 year deal after scoring 35-40 as a center for a third straight year like he's on pace to do, it'll be at around 8.5. 2 years, maybe around 8M. 3 years... yeah you're right that'll probably be under 6M.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What would the ask be for Pulock going to the Jets?
Who’s available that isn’t a cap dump for a top pairing RHD signed to a long term deal? The Isles don’t need goaltending, prospects that won’t pan out or bottom six/bottom pairing players.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
This guy has to be the most uninteresting player in the league.
I don’t mean to be “that guy”, but maybe the Sabres could use some uninteresting players who actually produce and have been part of winning teams, rather than flashy young whippersnappers who just lose

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
This isn't The Fugitive, get real . . . 3rd LD for a center on a 45 goal pace

Want a conditional 1st with Nelson? A year's supply of Onaha Steaks? My first born?

Fantasy World is on hiatus
Of course it’s not, that’s why he offered Samuel Girard and not Samuel Gerard. :thumbu:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Of course it’s not, that’s why he offered Samuel Girard and not Samuel Gerard. :thumbu:
Does Girard come with a clause that would essentially make him Cale Makar 2.0 to offset the loss of Nelson’s goalscoring?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don’t mean to be “that guy”, but maybe the Sabres could use some uninteresting players who actually produce and have been part of winning teams, rather than flashy young whippersnappers who just lose
I meant he seems to be known for nothing but had staying power. I e hes never been up for any awards etc. It seems even his position has flipped at times from center to wing. He just keeps on keeping on and flies under the radar. No ill intentions meant with my comment.

And to that point next, what exactly have the isles won with him again??? Stones and glass houses and all....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Didn't Brock and the isles lose to the flyers like...yesterday lol. Holyyy

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I meant he seems to be known for nothing but had staying power. I e hes never been up for any awards etc. It seems even his position has flipped at times from center to wing. He just keeps on keeping on and flies under the radar. No ill intentions meant with my comment.
He's a center coming off 2 30 goal seasons (which would have been his 3rd 30 goal season if 2019-20 wasn't truncated). He hasn't played wing since before 2018-2019. And his scoring translates to the playoffs, which is important.

It's true that teams NYI have played in the playoffs are more likely to know him than the Sabres.

As for awards? He's a very good 2nd line center. What award should he win? The better value than Kuznetsov award?

And to that point next, what exactly have the isles won with him again??? Stones and glass houses and all....
Not cups, that's for sure, but winning playoff series are pretty nice. Had a nice run where NYI won at least 1 series for 3 years (obv made it to conf finals twice). It's not a cup, but it's more fun than not winning any. That counts for something, for sure.

Anyway, if NYI end up trading Brock, it'll almost certainly be to a top-performing team that feels insecure about their secondary scoring going into the playoffs. Obvious fits are Boston (who have seen him plenty in the playoffs), and Colorado. Not breaking any ground there. Would fit Tampa too, but I would imagine 2024-2025 salary would have to come back, and I can't imagine that working.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Xavier Johnson, Reese Sanderson, Tyson Whitney, 1st 2024, 1st 2026 and 2nd 2025 would be my best offer

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He's a center coming off 2 30 goal seasons (which would have been his 3rd 30 goal season if 2019-20 wasn't truncated). He hasn't played wing since before 2018-2019. And his scoring translates to the playoffs, which is important.

It's true that teams NYI have played in the playoffs are more likely to know him than the Sabres.

As for awards? He's a very good 2nd line center. What award should he win? The better value than Kuznetsov award?

Not cups, that's for sure, but winning playoff series are pretty nice. Had a nice run where NYI won at least 1 series for 3 years (obv made it to conf finals twice). It's not a cup, but it's more fun than not winning any. That counts for something, for sure.

Anyway, if NYI end up trading Brock, it'll almost certainly be to a top-performing team that feels insecure about their secondary scoring going into the playoffs. Obvious fits are Boston (who have seen him plenty in the playoffs), and Colorado. Not breaking any ground there. Would fit Tampa too, but I would imagine 2024-2025 salary would have to come back, and I can't imagine that working.
thats a lot of words to essentially say what I'm saying. He's a good player that hasnt moved the needle on anything. He's just kinda here.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
If they continue to falter he’s really our only asset to move in a semi re-tool. His next contract negotiation will be interesting as he’ll be 34 and in need of a fairly substantial raise.

I think we’d be looking for a younger NHL player in addition to a first and another pick/prospect
How about Dante Fabbro, Phil Tomasino, and a 2nd?

Reactions: impaaaaaact

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How about Dante Fabbro, Phil Tomasino, and a 2nd?
Comment - unless NYI were to deal Pulock, Fabbro might be more valuable to another team.

Questions: (i) Is Nashville ready that quickly to pivot? (ii) Can you tell me about Tomasino's development? He seemed to me to pair skill with tenacity, and then he was sent down. What's the story? And what position is he playing? (I thought he'd be more effective on the wing, but I'm sure you'd know better.)

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Reviving this as the Isles pretty much need to win 7 of the next 9 to even stay in the race. Nelson SHOULD go seeing as we can't re-sign him when his deal is up and the returns on Lindholm and Monahan were substantial. Ask is probably the equivalent of 2 firsts and an NHL caliber player. Whatcha got?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Reviving this as the Isles pretty much need to win 7 of the next 9 to even stay in the race. Nelson SHOULD go seeing as we can't re-sign him when his deal is up and the returns on Lindholm and Monahan were substantial. Ask is probably the equivalent of 2 firsts and an NHL caliber player. Whatcha got?
The usual HF boards offer of a 1st round pick (lottery protected), player on bad contract and overhyped C prospect. Were you expected something better?

Reactions: PWJunior

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to trade a player early nowadays. It was a trendy thing 4-6 years ago, but nothing notable since. The package probably isn't going vary much rental+1 vs. rental.

Colorado, for example, needs Nelson. Maybe they offer a 1st and a recent 1st like Gulyayev to get term. The Canucks just paid a 1st and a 3rd round riser (Brzustewicz) for a rental Lindholm. Not a big difference.

Ledge And Dairy

There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to trade a player early nowadays. It was a trendy thing 4-6 years ago, but nothing notable since. The package probably isn't going vary much rental+1 vs. rental.

Colorado, for example, needs Nelson. Maybe they offer a 1st and a recent 1st like Gulyayev to get term. The Canucks just paid a 1st and a 3rd round riser (Brzustewicz) for a rental Lindholm. Not a big difference.
I could see Colorado making Byram available if they can offload Johansen in the same deal. Avs need a 2C but also need to have enough cap room next year when Landeskog returns. The problem is both NYI and COL are right against the cap so it would probably have to be either a 3-way deal or equal money in and out this season.

Maybe something like this as a base?
Byram (3.85M) + Johansen (4M)
For
Nelson (6M) + Rielly (1M)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad