Brian McGrattan opens up about addiction

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Those Demons are still always there and l am still fighting them. Fortunately, l am on the right side of it. The feeling of opioid withdrawal l wouldn’t wish upon anyone.
Brian and others went through the OxyContin hoax, when it was told to patients who take it will not be as addictive. They had me on 8-80mg Ocycodone Extended Release a day. That’s equivalent to 128 Percocet many sport related friends did more. But this was prescribed by a neurologist and It is a black spot on the drug community for ever.
Brian it’s a battle and keep being strong.

They’re always there, and it sucks. Most days I can ignore them, and had someone nearly f*** that up on me a couple of weeks ago. It was a struggle but thankfully those demons left and I didn’t ruin 20 years of sobriety.

PenCapChew

Feb 24, 2020
And people wonder why there is a distrust of the health care system right now.
It wasn't the healthcare system. It was Purdue Pharma owned by the Sackler family who KNEW full well these drugs were addictive but lied to Doctors about the side effects of addiction then paid for bogus studies conducted by researchers who worked for Purdue into the addiction of their products claiming they weren't addictive, lied to boost sales and maximize profits. The company lied to the Drug Enforcement Administration about steps it had taken to prevent anti-diversion programs, fraudulently increasing the amount of its products it was permitted to sell. Purdue also paid kickbacks to for-profit providers to encourage them to prescribe even more of its products. The Sackler family has denied any wrongdoing.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It wasn't the healthcare system. It was Purdue Pharma owned by the Sackler family who KNEW full well these drugs were addictive but lied to Doctors about the side effects of addiction then paid for bogus studies conducted by researchers who worked for Purdue into the addiction of their products claiming they weren't addictive, lied to boost sales and maximize profits. The company lied to the Drug Enforcement Administration about steps it had taken to prevent anti-diversion programs, fraudulently increasing the amount of its products it was permitted to sell. Purdue also paid kickbacks to for-profit providers to encourage them to prescribe even more of its products. The Sackler family has denied any wrongdoing.
Obviously Purdue and the Sacklers were extremely greedy.

1) I think that part of it showed that Doctors were willing to prescribe things to get their cut when many knew the dangers. Which is bound to create distrust in medical professionals to some degree.
2) The DEA was very responsible. They had the information that it was extremely addictive and yet they didn’t produce warnings/limitations commensurate to their knowledge of the danger. The DEA is an extremely corrupt organization, companies like Purdue Pharma and Monsanto will often hire high ups in the DEA and give them huge salaries in order to keep them quiet. No greater sign of corruption than the DEA. That is an organization that is supposed to keep North Americans safe through regulation and it has failed miserably. Hence, one of the reason for distrust of the medical system in North America.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Yeah been trying therapy and a pretty mellow church to help…
Putting your trust in the church is always good those people sincerely care. I’ve always been a God fearing man and it was part of my recovery. You can’t change the past but you can make the future a remarkable time, all the best on your recovery and remember relapses are part of recovery it is just how you manage them. @VaCaps Fan never stop fighting those Demons.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
McGrattan is an easy dude to cheer for. Always liked the guy.

I know he helped Tootoo tremendously over the years and is a really good buddy of Milan Lucic, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, Flames fans, but I believe he's heavily involved in the team in that regard, no?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Way to insert your anti fighting agenda has nothing to do with this interview and the point of addiction
Lol what? Saying they're glad the NHL has moved away from goon fighting is inserting an agenda to you? At least they included discussion about addiction, unlike your highly sensitive reply.

Putting your trust in the church is always good those people sincerely care. I’ve always been a God fearing man and it was part of my recovery. You can’t change the past but you can make the future a remarkable time, all the best on your recovery and remember relapses are part of recovery it is just how you manage them. @VaCaps Fan never stop fighting those Demons.
Eh I wouldn't go so far as to say it's always good. It's going to depend on the person and the place of worship. I know that the church I grew up in would be more likely to drive me to substance abuse than keep me away from it.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Lol what? Saying they're glad the NHL has moved away from goon fighting is inserting an agenda to you? At least they included discussion about addiction, unlike your highly sensitive reply.

Eh I wouldn't go so far as to say it's always good. It's going to depend on the person and the place of worship. I know that the church I grew up in would be more likely to drive me to substance abuse than keep me away from it.

I get what you are saying, l am saying what worked for me and by no means am l preaching. It seams like VanCaps Fan has stated his choice with the church and that is his decision. It’s a battle that never ends. You have to stay strong

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
It was nice to hear this interview. Mc Gratton sounds like he has some peace in his life.

Real honest account of how enforcers were by and large average hockey players who won roles. The details about fighting a few times a week makes you realize that it isn't a normal athletic role and I am glad that the NHL has moved away from goon fighting, though it still has its allure in some of the bigger NHL markets. I hope the NHL and NHLPA take care of these guys as they get older. There are still alot of tough guys fighting a silent battle post career, and some are losing them. Also the stereotypes were broken when you hear Mc Gratton talk about Stu Grimson as a polite gentleman.

The talk about addiction was refreshing. Glad he had help from his family...but he said something that is 100% true. No one else can help you. It has to come from within. I'm 24 years drug free, and it wasn't overdoses, violence, or homelessness that made me change. It was a desire to improve myself that took a change of scenery and a new perspective

Way to insert your anti fighting agenda has nothing to do with this interview and the point of addiction
idk to me that seemed like a very classy and thoughtful post.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4