Brian McGrattan opens up about addiction

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big Ern is an awesome guy. Used to work at an youth addictions center in Calgary and he came in to speak with our group. He brought in a bunch of swag and stayed for like an hour after chatting and played a little street hockey with the kids.

Not sure if he's still doing it but he had a position with the Flames working with their prospects on this stuff too.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Those Demons are still always there and l am still fighting them. Fortunately, l am on the right side of it. The feeling of opioid withdrawal l wouldn’t wish upon anyone.
Brian and others went through the OxyContin hoax, when it was told to patients who take it will not be as addictive. They had me on 8-80mg Ocycodone Extended Release a day. That’s equivalent to 128 Percocet many sport related friends did more. But this was prescribed by a neurologist and It is a black spot on the drug community for ever.
Brian it’s a battle and keep being strong.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Those Demons are still always there and l am still fighting them. Fortunately, l am on the right side of it. The feeling of opioid withdrawal l wouldn’t wish upon anyone.
Brian and others went through the OxyContin hoax, when it was told to patients who take it will not be as addictive. They had me on 8-80mg Ocycodone Extended Release a day. That’s equivalent to 128 Percocet many sport related friends did more. But this was prescribed by a neurologist and It is a black spot on the drug community for ever.
8 80’s per day.. that’s a shocking amount.. glad you lived to tell the tale

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This thread is a breath of fresh air. Good for Brian and for the people on this board who are fighting the fight. I am 30 years in supporting a very good buddy and business partner with his off again on again war that he wages against his addiction.

Channeling positive thoughts and energy your way folks.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It was nice to hear this interview. Mc Gratton sounds like he has some peace in his life.

Real honest account of how enforcers were by and large average hockey players who won roles. The details about fighting a few times a week makes you realize that it isn't a normal athletic role and I am glad that the NHL has moved away from goon fighting, though it still has its allure in some of the bigger NHL markets. I hope the NHL and NHLPA take care of these guys as they get older. There are still alot of tough guys fighting a silent battle post career, and some are losing them. Also the stereotypes were broken when you hear Mc Gratton talk about Stu Grimson as a polite gentleman.

The talk about addiction was refreshing. Glad he had help from his family...but he said something that is 100% true. No one else can help you. It has to come from within. I'm 24 years drug free, and it wasn't overdoses, violence, or homelessness that made me change. It was a desire to improve myself that took a change of scenery and a new perspective

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
8 80’s per day.. that’s a shocking amount.. glad you lived to tell the tale
Much appreciated @Nogatco Rd, craziest thing is the Dr prescribed that much medication as lm sure Brian’s did. Being a multi sport athlete l knew guys on as much as 12-80’s a day. I thank the good Lord for my turn around. That was the hardest challenge of my life l believe the birth of my son was the turning point. The key is recognized the problem and a great support group around me. It ultimately up to you to take your life back and change

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And people wonder why there is a distrust of the health care system right now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good for McGrattan. Could be good for people to see a big, tough guy like McGrattan had these issues. My brother always thought that addictions didn't happen to people like him. He was too tough, smart, strong etc. all these things. Of course that wasn't true and while he is not dead yet, even if he could fully escape from his addictions he'll never have the same life he could and should have had.

Anyway, hopefully this can help someone. No excuses but still encouraging.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
It was nice to hear this interview. Mc Gratton sounds like he has some peace in his life.

Real honest account of how enforcers were by and large average hockey players who won roles. The details about fighting a few times a week makes you realize that it isn't a normal athletic role and I am glad that the NHL has moved away from goon fighting, though it still has its allure in some of the bigger NHL markets. I hope the NHL and NHLPA take care of these guys as they get older. There are still alot of tough guys fighting a silent battle post career, and some are losing them. Also the stereotypes were broken when you hear Mc Gratton talk about Stu Grimson as a polite gentleman.

The talk about addiction was refreshing. Glad he had help from his family...but he said something that is 100% true. No one else can help you. It has to come from within. I'm 24 years drug free, and it wasn't overdoses, violence, or homelessness that made me change. It was a desire to improve myself that took a change of scenery and a new perspective
Way to insert your anti fighting agenda has nothing to do with this interview and the point of addiction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad