Recalled/Assigned: Brian Lashoff re-called

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I get what you're saying. A guy whose ceiling is lower than the belly of a snake in a wagon rut isn't who you'd like as next man up. But in this particular scenario, the guy joining the roster is nothing more than a pulse to check the box on filling out a roster card, and has a 99.99999% chance of never seeing the ice, so let the kids keep getting minutes in GR while Lashoff makes an appearance in name only.

It's still a throwaway move, but I find that it's better to make fun instead of getting frustrated.

Like saying that Chuck Norris exists because Brian Lashoff wants it that way.
Or that The Most Interesting Man in the World doesn't always ride the shuttle bus from Grand Rapids to Detroit, but when he does, he sits with Brian Lashoff.

(I'm saving my next "hill to die on" for what happens at the trade deadline, and just enjoying the ride until then.)
Realistically how many games would Hronek, Sulak even Hicketts miss coming up and "sitting in the press box 99.9999999%"? And also don't forget how good it will be for a young player to practice with NHL pros/ be with the team during the regular season. Or is he allowed to even do that guys? :sarcasm:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Realistically how many games would Hronek, Sulak even Hicketts miss coming up and "sitting in the press box 99.9999999%"? And also don't forget how good it will be for a young player to practice with NHL pros/ be with the team during the regular season. Or is he allowed to even do that guys? :sarcasm:

Hey, guess what, Sulak and Hronek had their shot at "being with the guys and all that malarkey to "have lightning strike and stick unexpectedly" at the beginning of the year. It rewarded the Wings with a week and a half of lopsided losses. They had a week and a half to make an impression to stick for longer. They didn't. Rasmussen had that same week and a half and he did.

Realistically, they'd miss one, maybe two. But for what? What do you gain by having them sit in a pressbox? Not what they gain, what does the organization gain by having a player come up and sit in the pressbox for a day or two? You're not going to gain a ton "being around the guys" when you're up as an emergency defenseman. You're not gonna be "one of the guys" and get taken under a wing when they know you're going back down immediately once someone is healthy.

And frankly, the probability of your "oh, they could totally play with their ass on fire and never go back down" scenario is so low to not even countenance the possibility.

It blows my mind that "OH WE SHOULDN'T EVER TRY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE WE'LL JUST BE AN EASY OUT" (when the actual percentage, while low, is probably 5-10%) is a thing, but "We should call up Filip Hronek or Libor Sulak (Sulak isn't even a good player, for god's sake) because we could totally have an injury in the pre-game or a guy could eat bad shrimp" (which the actual percentage chance is probably in the fraction of a percent range) is something also stated.

I don't want Filip Hronek to be our "holy crap, tonight has gone to pot and we are going to lose because we have 5 defensemen healthy" option. I want that to be Brian Lashoff. I want Filip Hronek playing in Detroit if he's going to actually ****ing play and actually be put in a position where he might actually stand a chance at having a productive year.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Griffins were on the road, so they would have missed 2-3 games. Hicketts (according the AHL transactions) was recalled to Detroit on 12/8 and he did not play on the last Griffins game in Iowa that night. If there was another long-term injury, Hicketts would have been the d-man to fill in.

With Lashoff up again, it also frees up a veteran spot in GR (currently have 6 vets in GR) which means that all 5 remaining vets in GR can play and not have one sit out each game. They were rotating Ford and McIlrath at the time sitting out a game here and there depending on who the Griffins were playing against.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Griffins were on the road, so they would have missed 2-3 games. Hicketts (according the AHL transactions) was recalled to Detroit on 12/8 and he did not play on the last Griffins game in Iowa that night. If there was another long-term injury, Hicketts would have been the d-man to fill in.

With Lashoff up again, it also frees up a veteran spot in GR (currently have 6 vets in GR) which means that all 5 remaining vets in GR can play and not have one sit out each game. They were rotating Ford and McIlrath at the time sitting out a game here and there depending on who the Griffins were playing against.
I see you point but do you see mine? I don't want guys getting called up that have zero to do with the present or future of the team. That's my argument.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I see you point but do you see mine? I don't want guys getting called up that have zero to do with the present or future of the team. That's my argument.

No. And nobody should see yours. It's an asinine argument. Filip Hronek and Libor Sulak will not benefit any more in their NHL careers if they got this callup instead of Lashoff. Maybe Sulak if they end up thinking he's trash. Maybe he could have gotten two more NHL game checks. Brian Lashoff is the type of player you bring up for this reason. He has everything to do with the present of this team. They're not playing for anything significant. So... why on earth do you expose young guys

Never mind anything with Hronek's ELC slide or anything like that. Neither him nor Sulak looked ready for NHL play in their auditions in the beginning of the year. What the hell would the difference be a month later when they're not absolutely curbstomping the AHL?

Guys can learn how to be professionals and how to handle pro hockey in the AHL. It's not like some wasteland where guys just are twiddling their thumbs and spinning.

It's the same as saying "what does it matter if we have a competent goaltender, let's trade Howard for a used bathrobe". When you are going through a rebuild, you want to control certain things so you can put guys in their best place to develop. It is beyond moronic to do "sink or swim" when you're planning on not being very good for several years. See everything that Edmonton did for years and years.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

So in this case, you would bring up Hronek (drive from Rockford, IL to Chicago, IL, fly him into Detroit), practice with the Wings (usually as a spare d-man) wait to see if the Wings will tell him if he will be in the lineup or not, gets told he will not be in the lineup, goes to the press box/suite to watch the Wings play their game, gets instructions from the Wings and put him in a hotel for the night.

Next day, comes to practice, gets told he is sent back down (on paper) back to Grand Rapids, but is told to stay in hotel just in case a player gets hurt in practice, a Wings player is ready to come back from injury, or waiting for an update that we do not know. One player is not ready to come back from IR, he gets called back up from Grand Rapids (on paper), and goes through want he went through the previous night. Wings tell him that he will not be in the lineup, so he sits in the press box/suite and watches another game. If the player who did not play the last two games is able to play for the next upcoming game, then he gets officially gets sent back down to Grand Rapids. Where does that benefit Hronek in this case in his development of becoming an NHL player?

Reactions: Henkka

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So in this case, you would bring up Hronek (drive from Rockford, IL to Chicago, IL, fly him into Detroit), practice with the Wings (usually as a spare d-man) wait to see if the Wings will tell him if he will be in the lineup or not, gets told he will not be in the lineup, goes to the press box/suite to watch the Wings play their game, gets instructions from the Wings and put him in a hotel for the night.

Next day, comes to practice, gets told he is sent back down (on paper) back to Grand Rapids, but is told to stay in hotel just in case a player gets hurt in practice, a Wings player is ready to come back from injury, or waiting for an update that we do not know. One player is not ready to come back from IR, he gets called back up from Grand Rapids (on paper), and goes through want he went through the previous night. Wings tell him that he will not be in the lineup, so he sits in the press box/suite and watches another game. If the player who did not play the last two games is able to play for the next upcoming game, then he gets officially gets sent back down to Grand Rapids. Where does that benefit Hronek in this case in his development of becoming an NHL player?
So in other words, calling up Hronek right now is more likely to "develop" him into being the next Brian Lashoff than being the next Dennis Cholowski.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

All your "hypotheticals" fit your narrative so me answering this would be assuming I agree with all that nonsense which I clearly don't. Agree to disagree. I do know however if you guys knew how to manage the wings so much better than me an "asinine comment poster" you would be employed with the team and not debating with me over this on HFF. Enjoy the Lashoff news. :thumbu:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes, because reasons.
Because of everything the previous poster just said. You don't get the most out of a kid by having him wear a butt groove in the balcony seats of the suites.

If Hronek is actually ready and would have a chance to log some minutes, I'm all for bringing him up before anybody else. But when it's a completely ceremonial call-up, let the career minor leaguer handle the role of third string kicker instead.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because of everything the previous poster just said. You don't get the most out of a kid by having him wear a butt groove in the balcony seats of the suites.

If Hronek is actually ready and would have a chance to log some minutes, I'm all for bringing him up before anybody else. But when it's a completely ceremonial call-up, let the career minor leaguer handle the role of third string kicker instead.
I didn't specifically say Hronek I said literally ANYONE but Lashoff

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
All your "hypotheticals" fit your narrative so me answering this would be assuming I agree with all that nonsense which I clearly don't. Agree to disagree. I do know however if you guys knew how to manage the wings so much better than me an "asinine comment poster" you would be employed with the team and not debating with me over this on HFF. Enjoy the Lashoff news. :thumbu:

We are all fans here. We do not work for the Wings, Griffins nor Walleye management. We can not control what they do and how they come up with their decisions. We agree what they do sometimes and at times we disagree what they do. Nothing we can do about it except express it on message boards like this one. Just trying to explain the Wings reasoning behind the Lashoff call up over Hronek, Hicketts, etc. No hypotheticals here as I explained on my last post the Wings decision on who they chose to call up and why it was him over Hronek, Hicketts, etc. Griffins are on the road and that is how Lashoff got to Detroit from where the Griffins were at the time of call up. You can agree or disagree all you want on how the Wings run their organization.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I didn't specifically say Hronek I said literally ANYONE but Lashoff

Ok, and who else in GR right now fits into part of the present or part of the future?

If the Wings are going to bring up Hronek, it’s not going to be for a two game press box respite. It would be to test him out again to see if he will stick and it will be done with the idea of giving him multiple games. They aren’t going to just eke him over the 9 game limit so he contract won’t slide. He will either be given an extended shot and they make the call prior to game 9 that they’re gonna keep him up for good or he’s going to stay in the NHL.

Teams don’t just throw **** against the wall and see if it sticks. Or if they do, they’re shown to be completely inept pretty quickly.

The Wings want a veteran to be their “holy crap we are really short on defensemen” guy to sit in the press box. If Kronwall were to get hurt before Daley is ready to be back, the Wings aren’t looking to toss Filip Hronek into a spot where he has to be slapdashed into the lineup, particularly when you’re facing games like tonight against the Caps.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Ok, and who else in GR right now fits into part of the present or part of the future?

If the Wings are going to bring up Hronek, it’s not going to be for a two game press box respite. It would be to test him out again to see if he will stick and it will be done with the idea of giving him multiple games. They aren’t going to just eke him over the 9 game limit so he contract won’t slide. He will either be given an extended shot and they make the call prior to game 9 that they’re gonna keep him up for good or he’s going to stay in the NHL.

Teams don’t just throw **** against the wall and see if it sticks. Or if they do, they’re shown to be completely inept pretty quickly.

The Wings want a veteran to be their “holy crap we are really short on defensemen” guy to sit in the press box. If Kronwall were to get hurt before Daley is ready to be back, the Wings aren’t looking to toss Filip Hronek into a spot where he has to be slapdashed into the lineup, particularly when you’re facing games like tonight against the Caps.
Sulak, Hronek, Hicketts ,Mcilrath, Saarijarvi. I rather them eat the finest red wing pressbox popcorn over Lashoff.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

What about your hypotheticals about getting sick before the game? I do know however if you knew how to manage the wings so much better than ALL THE OTHER POSTERS HERE AND THE ACTUAL WINGS MANAGEMENT you would be employed with the team and not debating with THE WHOLE BOARD over this.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Sulak, Hronek, Hicketts ,Mcilrath, Saarijarvi. I rather them eat the finest red wing pressbox popcorn over Lashoff.

Why Sulak, Hicketts, McIlrath, or Saarijarvi?

What have they done to impress you that they deserve the bonus of a couple days in the NHL? Not anything to do with Lashoff. Not that you're just angry about Lashoff. What have these guys done BESIDES NOT BEING BRIAN LASHOFF to warrant a call up even for super secret double backup emergency duty?

Hronek would have a case, but there is also a much bigger case that calling him up to sit in a press box for a couple games is worse for his development than actually playing a copious amount of hockey.

Teams have a plan with what they do. You might not like it. You may think it's stupid, but the plan isn't "EVERYONE EXCEPT THIS GUY, **** THIS GUY" unless said guy is a Sean Avery type who everyone does hate. Nor do they say "Any one of these five guys would be a good choice, so let's just randomly pick one."

That's why I called your point asinine. You complain about the Wings not having any clue what they are doing... while offering a plan that demonstrates no semblance of a thought process beyond "I'm angry that this very mediocre player is getting a call up."

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
We are all fans here. We do not work for the Wings, Griffins nor Walleye management. We can not control what they do and how they come up with their decisions. We agree what they do sometimes and at times we disagree what they do. Nothing we can do about it except express it on message boards like this one. Just trying to explain the Wings reasoning behind the Lashoff call up over Hronek, Hicketts, etc. No hypotheticals here as I explained on my last post the Wings decision on who they chose to call up and why it was him over Hronek, Hicketts, etc. Griffins are on the road and that is how Lashoff got to Detroit from where the Griffins were at the time of call up. You can agree or disagree all you want on how the Wings run their organization.

Yup. Solid point. And kinda what I've been saying as well. They didn't just call up Lashoff for S's and G's or randomly spin a wheel with all six D men from GR on it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wish it would be 2006 without social media telling these totally meaningless things. No one ever heard anything on those days about this kind of spare part callings.

It was funny on those days, when you started wathcing a game, some superstar could be missing because of an injury and you didn't have any news about that before the game.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad