Brett Connolly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Connolly should find himself easily on one of the first three lines. Hopefully on the right-side of Bergy and Marchand. I like Ferlin a lot as well and don't want to see him out of the line up, he brings speed size and skill.

As far as Talbot the only thing I can think of is Pierre McGuire said another Bruin might be going under the knife. So maybe there becomes a spot.:dunno:
Connolly has a good shot has become a good power forward kid works his butt off. Weakness poor hockey iq seems to not be in the right spot a lot! does not skate fast enough to keep up with are forwards in tampa. Should be a good 3rd line guy for you right away if put with the right guys can see him becoming a good 2nd line forward.

batesy

Dec 5, 2014
Nova Scotia
I really think Paille Smith are the odd men out here ... I see Smith going to the third line but if he has some defence lapses I see him in the press box

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Looks like they had Fluto draw that up :laugh:

Word. Fluto sees three guys on the ice at the same time = line.

And how the tired old "Clode hates kids" meme keeps resurfacing with Pasta getting first-line minutes and PP time since his recall just shows how dopey it is.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If the knocks on him are that he isn't very creative and doesn't have great vision, well that doesn't worry me too much.

Not every player needs to be creative or have great passing vision - some guys are good at finding open ice and getting off quick accurate shots. Pair them with creative passers and you've got a good bet to score lots of goals.

I don't think Iggy or Horton were known as particularly creative players with great vision. But they had a nose for the net and scoring.

Hopefully Connolly will fit into that role as well and blossom here.

This is a great post.

Might be my downfall in evaluating players. I think I wasn't the biggest Iginla (and to a lesser degree, Horton) fan because of that lack of vision. Sure, Iginla was well past his prime when he was here, but I couldn't get over the fact that he just wasn't as "skilled" as I thought. But, the guy found a way to score 30 even if he didn't look that "good" doing it. Sometimes, the stats really are what matters and an alternate perception isn't necessary.

Hopefully that's the case with Connolly and I can come around to accepting it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
giphy.gif

Poor kitty!

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Connolly has skill, there's no question about that. This is typical Julien though, brush of the key acquistion and be head over heals for the 4th liner they brought in. I like both adds, but c'mon Claude.

Seriously, isnt' it?

Connolly?

CJ: "You know, if we see him for a while here... over time, we might conclude he is a good player..." ZZZzzZZZzzzzzz

Talbot?

CJ: "Holy **** this guy is awesome! Versatile. Blood and guts. Amazing in the dressing room. Does everything for his team. He's been an asset to every team this guy has ever been on!!!!"

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Seriously, isnt' it?

Connolly?

CJ: "You know, if we see him for a while here... over time, we might conclude he is a good player..." ZZZzzZZZzzzzzz

Talbot?

CJ: "Holy **** this guy is awesome! Versatile. Blood and guts. Amazing in the dressing room. Does everything for his team. He's been an asset to every team this guy has ever been on!!!!"

I don't get what's wrong with what Julien said.. Talbot is a vet known all around the league. Everyone knows what you get with him on and off the ice. This is Connelly's first full season so really, the book is still out on him. Obviously the coach is going to have more to say about the guy he knows more about.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The lines to use are simple

Marchand-Bergy-Connolly
Lucic-Spooner-Pasta
Smith-Yeti-Eriksson
Talbot-Kelly-Ferlin

I like this.

I'd put Connolly on the top line RW, immediately. If Krejci was back, I'd actually put Connolly with him and Lucic, move Pasta to the 2nd or 3rd line.

Unfortunately, since PC is an enabler of CJ, he acquired Talbot.

That means Spooner will be sent to providence. And I will bet, that Pasta sits.

I'm going to predict this line up:

Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Lucic-Kelly-Connolly
Talbot-Yeti-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Ferlin

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I don't get what's wrong with what Julien said.. Talbot is a vet known all around the league. Everyone knows what you get with him on and off the ice. This is Connelly's first full season so really, the book is still out on him. Obviously the coach is going to have more to say about the guy he knows more about.

Well. I could point out that Connolly, in his first full season, has scored 3X the goals Talbot has (this season). And with 1 more goal, will match Talbot's goal production for the last two seasons combined.

CJ translated:

Talbot: WOWEEEEEE.

Connolly: Meh. Let's see if he is good.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Well. I could point out that Connolly, in his first full season, has scored 3X the goals Talbot has (this season). And with 1 more goal, will match Talbot's goal production for the last two seasons combined.

CJ translated:

Talbot: WOWEEEEEE.

Connolly: Meh. Let's see if he is good.

You missed the point

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I'm the most pumped on getting Talbot. The fourth line has been missing someone like him all season.
Would have like to see one of Campbell or Paille moved though so Claude didn't have the option of playing one of them every night.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Those projected lines make me gag. Ferlin has been the biggest difference on the 4th

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
You missed the point

Not really.

I think we're just disagreeing. I think there is a problem with what CJ said. You don't.

Talbot is a known quantity, fine. Connolly, still a bit of a question mark.

But doesn't it make sense to praise the skilled kid, as a matter of confidence boosting, who is already producing more than Talbot, in his first full season?

Instead, CJ goes gaa-gaa over Talbot and essentially condemns Connolly with faint, almost non-existent praise. "He is a right shot... so maybe we can use him".

I mean, it's classic CJ. But it's not very smart or tactful on his part.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Scored at the same rate as Patrick Kane and Max Pacioretty and above many elite goal scorers in the league per 60 minutes of ice time. Take it for what it is. I'm not saying he's better than any of them but he is better than many give him credit for.

5mAdc5p.png

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Connolly has a good shot has become a good power forward kid works his butt off. Weakness poor hockey iq seems to not be in the right spot a lot! does not skate fast enough to keep up with are forwards in tampa. Should be a good 3rd line guy for you right away if put with the right guys can see him becoming a good 2nd line forward.

Powerforward at 190 lbs?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Not really.

I think we're just disagreeing. I think there is a problem with what CJ said. You don't.

Talbot is a known quantity, fine. Connolly, still a bit of a question mark.

But doesn't it make sense to praise the skilled kid, as a matter of confidence boosting, who is already producing more than Talbot, in his first full season?

Instead, CJ goes gaa-gaa over Talbot and essentially condemns Connolly with faint, almost non-existent praise. "He is a right shot... so maybe we can use him".

I mean, it's classic CJ. But it's not very smart or tactful on his part.

You're reading too much into it. It's not a matter of how many points or goals each has. One is a known commodity and has a Cup ring. The other is a promising young player who may be starting to become the player he's projected to be.

Julien knows what he's gonna get from Talbot. Coaches like those kinds of players who put it all out there.

Put it another way:
Talbot is season 4 of Breaking Bad.
Connolly is the 3rd episode of season one of Better Call Saul.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I like this.

I'd put Connolly on the top line RW, immediately. If Krejci was back, I'd actually put Connolly with him and Lucic, move Pasta to the 2nd or 3rd line.

Unfortunately, since PC is an enabler of CJ, he acquired Talbot.

That means Spooner will be sent to providence. And I will bet, that Pasta sits.

I'm going to predict this line up:

Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Lucic-Kelly-Connolly
Talbot-Yeti-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Ferlin

If Pasta and Spooner sit over Paille and Campbell, that'd be a frickin crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad