Value of: Brent Burns

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
36 years old, 3 years left after this one at 8M.

Last 3 seasons he has been pacing for 53, 42, and 56 points, which is still solid, but not what he was putting up in his prime.

That said he is still a 6'5 RHD who plays 26 minutes a night, so there will always be a market, but I can't see a great return without retention.

Reactions: banks

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think the idea is to take cap back in the form of semi useful players. Someone like say Tyson Barrie. Overpaid but can fill a role.

Edmonton can unite Burns, Keith, and Smith like how Montreal did with Price, Weber, Staal, and Perry last year. Who would be Edmonton's 4th old man? Fleury has already said no.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
How interesting. I would think there’s definitely a market for Burns but doesn’t he have a no trade clause?

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
if they are willing to retain 50% he has value 8m per at his age is not ideal for any team especially with the cap being locked and they arent sure if its going to go up this summer either. honestly theres teams out there that would love to have him but its the risk they need to be okay with if say next year he dips talent wise and are comfortable paying him 4m+ to be in more of a vet role than anything.

if anything if SJ is willing to trade with Oilers i can see them pay a bit more if sharks took barrie in the trade and did an even cap hit retention im sure oilers would be inclined to deal atleast a 2nd and a decent prospect. but im going to go out on a limb and say that oilers isnt one of the 3 teams on his no fly zone.

all in all i think theres atleast 15 teams that not only afford his price tag and fit him into the line up but also could probably use his size and experience.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
A 3 team list.
A 3 team list that im sure is expanded considering the shit show hes in right now. I guess my question is, what would other fan bases expect their teams would compensate the Sharks? With retention or a player to offset the salary included, hypothetically.

Reactions: egelband

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
What is SJ looking for?
Imo draft capital. Realistically a younger, cheaper player to help contribute to this "reset". Not a rebuild, because we don't believe in rebuilds. A young, skilled player, or veteran who is comparable to age with Burns but at least 3 million dollars cheaper. Asking alot, I know.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Imo draft capital. Realistically a younger, cheaper player to help contribute to this "reset". Not a rebuild, because we don't believe in rebuilds. A young, skilled player, or veteran who is comparable to age with Burns but at least 3 million dollars cheaper. Asking alot, I know.
Barrie+ Yamamoto or Foegle for Burns with some retention.
EDM will throw in Smith for free if u need a goalie.

Add Hertl and you may have our 1st as well.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd love him on Vancouver, but I don't know what we can offer here.

Ruthie has said he's not looking to move draft picks, or youth really, so I think that kind of answers what ever inquiry I had.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'd love him on Vancouver, but I don't know what we can offer here.

Ruthie has said he's not looking to move draft picks, or youth really, so I think that kind of answers what ever inquiry I had.
Yeah, plus, you guys are in a similar boat to us. Burns would have to okay that move and like you said, you guys aren't looking to give up draft picks or youth. You're also in the division lol

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, plus, you guys are in a similar boat to us. Burns would have to okay that move and like you said, you guys aren't looking to give up draft picks or youth. You're also in the division lol

We are only three points out from a playoff spot...not that I hope we pivot into buyers.

Yeah it would be a hockey trade more than anything. Interdivision trades don't bother me if it fits. Needing youth kind of kills it though, we need more too.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What is SJ looking for?

Frankly, I'd be happy if we got a 7th for Burns, straight up. He's a lazy defenseman who doesn't play physically, doesn't skate like he should, has horrible defensive instincts, and generates more offense going the wrong way.

However, I don't think the league sees him that way, and I'm sure we could get something of real value for him. A 1st is almost certainly out of the question (maybe if we send a 3rd the other way and take a bad contract, we could finagle a very late 1st). I'd shoot for a 2nd from a team seeking the playoffs and take a bad contract, maybe retain a little bit. Burns can still generate some offense, and maybe you can shelter him if you have some actually good defensemen (the Sharks have no one who is legitimately good at defense).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad