Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
After scoring 30 last year with Plekanec, I didn't see why he couldn't score 40, if not 35, this year.

He's now on pace for 37 and hopefully will continue to stay hot. We will need him if we want to make the playoffs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And, for those that still think he's not a 1st line winger:

He's tied for 18th in the league in goals - and 10th for goals by a winger.

Any time one of our young players improves as they move into their prime, we are told that it was an aberration and that "next year" things will go back down to normal. Last off-season it was common wisdom that 26 year old Gallagher was going to be worse than 25 year old Gallagher.

Let's take note when we talk about Domi and Danault next.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Anyone who wanted to trade him is ridiculous. His cap hit would still be good if he only managed to score 15 goals a season. Plus we’re not even considering the intangibles. Best contract in the league IMO.

We used to say that about Pacioretty, then when we got about two years away from the end of his contract, we started to fear him wanting $9M times 8 years on his next contract to compensate. And yet he signed for $7M x 4.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I noticed that the incessant posts to trade Gallagher for Darrell Nurse in the offseason have subsided.

The Gallagher trade talk is all about his next contract and how long he can maintain this level of play. My concern with Gallagher is not today. It's when he turns 30. If we can flip him for a legit top 4D who provides shutdown ability like Nurse, I'm thinking about it for sure.

But yes, Gallagher is the heart of this team so likely not happening. Lets see how he looks in his next contract at 30+

Reactions: the

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We always talk about consistency with players. Guys showing up for a game and disappearing for 2 or 3. That's never, ever been an issue with Gallagher, and probably a reason his thread has 6 pages of posts in over a year timespan.

Two seasons with 30 goals and makes pennies. Not bad for a diminutive 5th rounder.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Imagine if he played with a center with offensive instincts. Im 100% sure he has 35/35 in him. Hes a top 10 RW, like Ive been saying for three years now.

This is absurd, I love Gallagher and he's a goal scorer but he's a 50 point forward (maybe 60s in his prime) and I don't think he was anywhere close to a top 10 RW 3 years ago when you made that claim and when he scored 10 goals through 64 games...what other RW in the top 10 has gone through an awful season like that.

Even today I don't put him in the top 10:

Kucherov
Marner
P. Kane
Rantanen
Atkinson
Stone
S. Reinhart
Teravainen
Wheeler
Pastrnak
Hoffman
Dadanov
Arvidsson
Kessel
Guentzel
Pavelski
Boeser
Laine

Can you rank the above list (not in order currently)? I left out players like Ehlers, Dadanov and Lindholm among others who I think could be better than him as early as next year. Again, this isn't a knock on Gallagher, there's just so many great RW out there today...unless you meant RW goal scorers?

Last edited:
Reactions: the

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
This is absurd, I love Gallagher and he's a goal scorer but he's a 50 point forward (maybe 60s in his prime) and I don't think he was anywhere close to a top 10 RW 3 years ago when you made that claim and when he scored 10 goals through 64 games...what other RW in the top 10 has gone through an awful season like that.

Kucherov
Marner
P. Kane
Rantanen
Atkinson
Stone
S. Reinhart
Teravainen
Wheeler
Pastrnak
Hoffman
Dadanov
Arvidsson
Kessel
Guentzel
Pavelski
Boeser
Laine

Can you rank the above list (not in order currently)? I left out players like Ehlers, Dadanov and Lindholm among others who I think could be better than him as early as next year. Again, this isn't a knock on Gallagher, there's just so many great RW out there today...unless you meant RW goal scorers?
no
He means as in greatest positive impact on game outcomes

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Imagine if he played with a center with offensive instincts. Im 100% sure he has 35/35 in him. Hes a top 10 RW, like Ive been saying for three years now.

He has 14 assists. 35 assists is huge expectation

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kucherov
Marner
P. Kane
Rantanen
Atkinson
Stone
S. Reinhart
Teravainen
Wheeler
Pastrnak
Hoffman
Dadanov
Arvidsson
Kessel
Guentzel
Pavelski
Boeser
Laine

None of these play with Danault and none of these play on a PP as bad as the Habs. There's a reason he has less than 20 assists this season and it's not because he's got fourth line level playmaking skills, it's because he's playing with a center that has fourth line level finishing skills. We've seen what going form a 3C to a 1C can do with Radulov, basically adds 10 goals and 10 assists. 40/30 or 35/35 is really possible for him, but I'm affraid we'll never see it because of the boner this whole city has on a third line C.

Kucherov
Kane
Pastrnak
Marner
Wheeler
Rantanen
Stone
Atkinson

are the only ones that are on another level from the rest, Id take Gally (Without consideration for age or contract or anything.) over all of the rest.
You did rank Dadonov btw.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
None of these play with Danault and none of these play on a PP as bad as the Habs. There's a reason he has less than 20 assists this season and it's not because he's got fourth line level playmaking skills, it's because he's playing with a center that has fourth line level finishing skills. We've seen what going form a 3C to a 1C can do with Radulov, basically adds 10 goals and 10 assists. 40/30 or 35/35 is really possible for him, but I'm affraid we'll never see it because of the ***** this whole city has on a third line C.

Kucherov
Kane
Pastrnak
Marner
Wheeler
Rantanen
Stone
Atkinson

are the only ones that are on another level from the rest, Id take Gally (Without consideration for age or contract or anything.) over all of the rest.
You did rank Dadonov btw.

Man, your obsession with Danault is really tiring. Noticed that Gally scored his goal last night while deflecting a point shot, thanks to a faceoff win by Danault. Domi or Kotkaniemi probably don't win this faceoff.

This is Gally's second 30 goals season and coincicentally, it is the second season he plays with Danault. And Tatar is also having a career year (as is Danault), and yet you insist that he is detrimental to his wingers' production.

You thought Danault sucked. He is proving you wrong. Give it up, man. There's no shame in admitting you were wrong. Danault is a good player and there is undeniable chemistry with Gally.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man, your obsession with Danault is really tiring. Noticed that Gally scored his goal last night while deflecting a point shot, thanks to a faceoff win by Danault. Domi or Kotkaniemi probably don't win this faceoff.

This is Gally's second 30 goals season and coincicentally, it is the second season he plays with Danault. And Tatar is also having a career year (as is Danault), and yet you insist that he is detrimental to his wingers' production.

You thought Danault sucked. He is proving you wrong. Give it up, man. There's no shame in admitting you were wrong. Danault is a good player and there is undeniable chemistry with Gally.
I thought that Danault sucked ? I still think he sucks, and he's going to magically revert back to a sub 40 points player once his ice time and his wingers are pried away from him, if it happens. Danault is a good player, it doesn't mean he has to suck all the ice-time and talent on this roster.

Also, I want to address the Domi and Kotkaniemi probably don't win this argument. Considering these guys win about 45% of their faceoffs, that means they'll win 1 less than Danault does every ten faceoffs. Do you realize how insignificant that number is ? I don't think people realize how small those numbers are in a game and how the faceoff argument is tired and doesn't prove anything.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Gally is probably an underestimate 1st line right wing ...

But a helluva amazing 3rd line RW on a contender that is even considered a favourite!

The 30 goals with Plekanec proves that Gallagher can likely easily score 30 goals as a 3rd line RW if the team is deep and he has decent line mates as 3rd liners (Danault and Tatar, for example, nothing unimaginable).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I thought that Danault sucked ? I still think he sucks, and he's going to magically revert back to a sub 40 points player once his ice time and his wingers are pried away from him, if it happens. Danault is a good player, it doesn't mean he has to suck all the ice-time and talent on this roster.

Also, I want to address the Domi and Kotkaniemi probably don't win this argument. Considering these guys win about 45% of their faceoffs, that means they'll win 1 less than Danault does every ten faceoffs. Do you realize how insignificant that number is ? I don't think people realize how small those numbers are in a game and how the faceoff argument is tired and doesn't prove anything.

Sorry, but this argument always makes me chuckle. If I take away the good line mates and the ice time, the 3rd player on a line will produce less?

No kidding, Jack! No kidding.

However, with Danault, you are forgetting ONE VERY IMPORTANT COMPARISON ELEMENT:

Danault will likely get over 50 points this season while playing in a shutdown role against opponents' best lines, YET, HE GETS NEXT TO NO PP TIME, UNLIKE OTHER TEAMS' 2Cs!

If Danault was a staple on the PP, he'd likely get over 60 points this season, IMO. No, not a Malkin, but an excellent 2nd line C in terms of production, no?

Never mind, you won't agree in your, "stick to my argument mode", even if it has a bunch of holes in it.

Reactions: the and dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad