Prospect Info: Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He looks to be a two-way plus shooting skilled RS center.

Not sure his skating is Point good but his style is reminiscent of him from the tapes I've quickly watched over lunch lol. Going to have to see if I can find some memorial cup taped games somewhere to watch.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Looks like a well-rounded player with plus skating and shot who should bring some versatility. If he’s a better version of Names who settles in as a smart, quick 60ish point 2-way centre who flourishes postseason it’s a win.

And a whole lot better than yer average mid-round 2nd.

I dub thee Baba Yager.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1724357519901.jpeg

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't know nothing about him but it looks like the Jets have another Lady Byng candidate.
He looks very scrawny to me, and needs to put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle. Size is not everything, as Gretzky was also very scrawny, and Bobby Orr was only 155 lbs coming out of junior. McGroarty is more filled out, and looks like a plug and play guy right now, but that doesn't mean he'll turn out to be the better player, over time.

I think for the job Chevy has, and getting into these situations, he always is patient, and gets good value in return. We'll have to wait and see how this Yager works out for the Jets.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He looks very scrawny to me, and needs to put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle. Size is not everything, as Gretzky was also very scrawny, and Bobby Orr was only 155 lbs coming out of junior. McGroarty is more filled out, and looks like a plug and play guy right now, but that doesn't mean he'll turn out to be the better player, over time.

I think for the job Chevy has, and getting into these situations, he always is patient, and gets good value in return. We'll have to wait and see how this Yager works out for the Jets.
Size and weight doesn't matter that much its toughness that the Jets need. Looking at his penalties minutes he doesn't get too many which tells me he avoids contact and getting into board battles which is fine but the Jets have too many of these type of players.
Come playoff time a team that does not win board battles gets eliminated out of the playoffs real fast.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Size and weight doesn't matter that much its toughness that the Jets need. Looking at his penalties minutes he doesn't get too many which tells me he avoids contact and getting into board battles which is fine but the Jets have too many of these type of players.
Come playoff time a team that does not win board battle gets eliminated out of the playoffs real fast.
100 % agree with you Raider. Look at Florida, they added 2 tough gritty players in Tkachuk and Bennet, and went to the Cup final the last 2 years, and won the Cup just last year.

The Jets are going to need a couple guys like this, and McGroarty fit the bill perfectly. I think the Jets are going to have to trade some of their fancy figure skaters for some tough gritty hockey players, or they will get knocked out in the 1st round year after year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Come playoff time a team that does not win board battles gets eliminated out of the playoffs real fast.

He takes the puck hard to the net and battles very hard on both sides of the puck. He also plays a very direct game. Looking at penalty minutes to derive toughness is pretty silly. The best players can ay tough without taking infractions.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
PiMs and toughness may be correlated, but there's little causation

Lots of guys who are slow get hooking/holding penalties, doesn't mean they're tough

And conversely, plenty of guys are good along the boards who don't constantly take penalties because they're good with their stick and body position. Nick Lidstrom is one of the all time best defensemen and had 500 pims in 1500 games

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He takes the puck hard to the net and battles very hard on both sides of the puck. He also plays a very direct game. Looking at penalty minutes to derive toughness is pretty silly. The best players can ay tough without taking infractions.
Like I said I don't know much about him in fact I had to look him up he was not drafted in the top 10 that's all I know. I agree the best players don't take infractions and play tough because they are that much better. I was taking about the average hockey player not all-stars. I have nothing against him I hope he does great ... I was just pointing out why the Jets are being eliminated so quick in the playoffs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Like I said I don't know much about him in fact I had to look him up he was not drafted in the top 10 that's all I know. I agree the best players don't take infractions and play tough because they are that much better. I was taking about the average hockey player not all-stars. I have nothing against him I hope he does great ... I was just pointing out why the Jets are being eliminated so quick in the playoffs.

I think there are plenty of reasons we've been eliminated. Last year it was more a lack of speed/skill. We couldn't keep up to the Avs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
100 % agree with you Raider. Look at Florida, they added 2 tough gritty players in Tkachuk and Bennet, and went to the Cup final the last 2 years, and won the Cup just last year.

The Jets are going to need a couple guys like this, and McGroarty fit the bill perfectly. I think the Jets are going to have to trade some of their fancy figure skaters for some tough gritty hockey players, or they will get knocked out in the 1st round year after year.
There's more than one way to win a cup. Colorado the year they won I don't think anyone would classify them as a tough team. Don't think TBL either.

The Jets got dog walked this past PO's and it wasn't bc they weren't tough enough. Their skill and speed were lacking alot IMO and the goalie did not show up as he does in the regular season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The more I read about Yager the more I like.
A true talented center is just what this team needs and, along with Lambert, helps our center depth immensely.
Now, if we could just trade someone for a legit RHD prospect...I wonder what Jiricek or Clarke would cost?

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Found this hot take.

“Yager right now…has the best wrist shot in the NHL. It’s that good, and yes that includes 1st overall Bedard and also one man NHL showstopper McDavid.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad