Brayden Yager vs Easton Cowan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yager vs Cowan

• Yager

Votes: 91 66.4%
  • Cowan

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He actually wasn't. Bedrard & Landon DuPont are the only players in WHL history to be granted exceptional status.

Also either way, that point is moot. Sean Day was granted exceptional status too. & hes a career minor leaguer.
Now there a name that I haven’t heard in awhile . Leaf fan saying Yager by a hair . Cowans rise has been very impressive indeed but still Yags . If he repeats his success from last season maybe we revisit it .

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Now there a name that I haven’t heard in awhile . Leaf fan saying Yager by a hair . Cowans rise has been very impressive indeed but still Yags . If he repeats his success from last season maybe we revisit it .

Sean Day who got exceptional status cause Hockey Canada thought he was the next star defensemen and wanted him to choose them over USA Hockey, a classic story.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sean Day who got exceptional status cause Hockey Canada thought he was the next star defensemen and wanted him to choose them over USA Hockey, a classic story.
Yup was supposed to be an incredible skater . But every time I saw him I walked away thinking “ meh “ .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's funny how several Penguins fans who were happy with the Yager pick, but didn't view him as a franchise piece were all in a similar spot with McGroarty.

Never thought Dubas had the balls to do it personally, but stoked on that move.
Yeah I really wanted Benson to drop at the time. When he didn’t wanted Moore or Brindley or kinda Ritchie.

Despite what I personally thought (bc who tf knows if ill be right) Yager was a solid pick but I wonder how he’s viewed if by us if he was drafted 21st and not with our first lottery pick since Pouliot.

I just laugh at the notion that I can share a recent article here where the prospect confirms his size and get replied to saying “nah he’s 6’1” and then told how I’m changing my mind bc he got traded. And the poster is a prospect writer.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Def Yager.. Cowan getting wildly overrated for being the 3rd* or 4th** best player on a super stacked team
"3rd or 4th best player"

*wins Red Tilson award as OHL most outstanding player
**Wins Wayne Gretzky 99 award for OHL playoff MVP

Just because somebody can be a better prospect does not mean they are a better player.

Cowan was the best player on the London Knights, that doesn't make him a better prospect than say, Dicksinson but it still makes him a better player, hence why he won MVP and PMVP and nobody else did.

Because he was a better and more valuable player.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with Yager, who is also a fantastic prospect and doesn't need to be pulled down for Cowan to shine because they are both fantastic and demonstrate that on their own. Unless youre f***in blinded by bias, like Sassy boy here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Look at the playoff numbers.

It's Cowan.

He has more points in fewer games.

He also has more regular season points in fewer games.

It's Cowan.

What's the legitimate argument for Yager? because I don't see it
Not saying Yager *is* better than Cowan, but in general just looking at junior stats and saying the guy with better stats is going to be the better player in the NHL isn't the best argument.

It comes down to play style and how well that translates to the NHL. There's a reason why some high scoring juniors don't even make the NHL, while guys they outscored by a lot in junior, do.

Reactions: Just Linda

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Not saying Yager *is* better than Cowan, but in general just looking at junior stats and saying the guy with better stats is going to be the better player in the NHL isn't the best argument.

It comes down to play style and how well that translates to the NHL. There's a reason why some high scoring juniors don't even make the NHL, while guys they outscored by a lot in junior, do.
Cowan's play style is perfectly suited to the NHL.

Reactions: waitin425

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You can say literally the same exact thing about Yager on Moose Jaw.

The reality is that Cowan and Yager are incredibly comparable prospects.
Putting the Cowan aspect to the side for a second (I didn't watch enough of his games to have a skin in the 'whos better on the same team' argument), that wouldn't really be true for Yager. Yager has always been the best player on the Warriors, maybe second after Mateychuk depending on the night.

The Warriors without Yager aren't nearly as good of a team, they don't have a run. Warriors without one of Firkus, Savoie, or Calvert had a good chance if they don't face the Blades. The only other player who was as crucial to MJ this year was Mateychuk.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Putting the Cowan aspect to the side for a second (I didn't watch enough of his games to have a skin in the 'whos better on the same team' argument), that wouldn't really be true for Yager. Yager has always been the best player on the Warriors, maybe second after Mateychuk depending on the night.

The Warriors without Yager aren't nearly as good of a team, they don't have a run. Warriors without one of Firkus, Savoie, or Calvert had a good chance if they don't face the Blades. The only other player who was as crucial to MJ this year was Mateychuk.

I haven't watched him a ton, so I can't comment, but this really doesn't match what I've read from others when talking about Moose Jaw. I always heard that Yager was playing third or fourth fiddle to Mateychuk (especially), Savoie and Firkus. But I don't have a large enough sample size of watching to gain a firm opinion myself, that's just from what I've read.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I haven't watched him a ton, so I can't comment, but this really doesn't match what I've read from others when talking about Moose Jaw. I always heard that Yager was playing third or fourth fiddle to Mateychuk (especially), Savoie and Firkus. But I don't have a large enough sample size of watching to gain a firm opinion myself, that's just from what I've read.
Regular season, it was pretty clear that Mateychuk was the best player on the ice 85% of the time. Playoffs, I felt Mateychuk was the flashiest but I felt him and Yager were about as effective as each other. Firkus was really good, quite noticeable all the time, just not as crisp and efficient as Yager. Overall play, Firkus and Yager were pretty similiar, Yager just has an offensive flair that Firkus never had. The difference between putting the puck to the right areas and putting the puck right onto the right sticks. Savioe was a clear step behind those other 3, they tried Savioe between Jagger and Yager but Calvert was far more effective there, instead they put Savioe on the second where, even then, Kovacevic drove the line for much of the playoffs. Most telling to me was when Moose Jaw was pushing play late in one of the Warriors/Blades games, they double shifted Calvert a couple times rather than trusting Savioe.

I'd hear out an argument that he played second fiddle to Mateychuk, it's not the worst argument that Jagger and Yager were somewhat comparable for a while (though I don't agree), he definitely wasn't a secondary team player like Savioe, Calvert, or Kovacevic though.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Cowan's play style is perfectly suited to the NHL.
Which doesn't negate what I said. I was quoting someone who was focused on JUNIOR PRODUCTION and then asking why someone with inferior JUNIOR PRODUCTION could be the better prospect. The answer to that specific inquiry is that junior production doesn't tell the whole story about which player's game translate to the NHL or not, so focusing on PRODUCTION to say who is better is faulty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad