Book Feature Brave Face: Wild Tales of Hockey Goaltenders in the Era Before Masks (by Rob Vanstone)

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
OVERVIEW

Brave Face is billed by the publisher, Triumph Books, as "a fascinating and immersive chronicle of hockey's original maskless warriors."

More than 400 stitches decorated Terry Sawchuk's face during his 16 years as a goaltender in the National Hockey League, the result of high-speed collisions and slapshots that whizzed directly at his skull. All in a day’s work for an elite goalie of his era.

Before facemasks became standard equipment in the 1960s and '70s, men like Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, and Jacques Plante — the first goalie to ever wear a mask for an extended period in the NHL — put their bodies on the line in the name of hockey, enduring broken bones, damaged organs, and even psychological turmoil.

In this thoroughly researched book, Rob Vanstone illuminates the stories of these intrepid warriors while examining how the goaltender position has changed throughout the decades. As masks evolved from ghoulish-looking creations not out of place in horror films to today's caged helmets with custom artwork, goalies’ body positioning and tactics were similarly transformed along with NHL regulations.

Brave Face tells the stories of legendary goalies such as Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley and Gerry Cheevers, while also exploring the lives and careers of lesser-known but nonetheless fascinating maskless marvels such as Gaye Cooley, Andy Brown, Wayne Rutledge, Russ Gillow, Bob Perreault and Ian Young.

There is also input from current NHL goalies James Reimer and Cam Talbot, both of whom marvel at their goaltending brethren from decades ago. The brave shot-blockers — non-goalies who nonetheless hurled their bodies in the path of flying pucks — are also saluted over 300 pages.

Told with charm and verve, this is an essential portrait of a uniquely brutal and harrowing chapter in hockey history.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Rob Vanstone spent nearly 37 years at the Regina Leader-Post, ascending to the roles of sports columnist and sports editor, before joining the Saskatchewan Roughriders as their Senior Journalist and Historian on Feb. 21, 2023. Rob has written three previous books, all about the Roughriders. Brave Face is his second collaboration with Triumph Books. Rob and his wife, Chryssoula, live in Regina, Saskatchewan for the purpose of devotedly catering to their entitled rescue dog, Candy.

TO PURCHASE

From Triumph Books:
Brave Face

From Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Brave-Face-Hockey-Goaltenders-Before/dp/1637272162

EXCERPT: From Chapter 18

The Dancing Bear was bare-faced for a fraction of his final season of professional hockey.

In that fragment of time, Wayne Rutledge made history — inadvertently, yet undeniably — by becoming the last maskless goalie in North American professional hockey.

He certainly didn’t plan it that way. Honestly, though, how many things did unfold as designed in the often-unpredictable, always-colourful World Hockey Association?

Rutledge wasn’t even supposed to play in a Feb. 17, 1978 game between the Houston Aeros and the visiting Cincinnati Stingers. Aeros head coach Bill Dineen had opted to start Lynn Zimmerman in net, and there he stayed well into the third period. Then came an unanticipated twist.

“With four minutes left, Zimmerman skated to the Aeros’ bench on a delayed penalty,” John McClain wrote in the Houston Chronicle. “He stopped to get some water, and Houston was forced to use Rutledge, who did not wear a mask.”

Why were the Aeros suddenly required to make a goaltending change on account of a what is conventionally a simple water break? That much remains unclear.

And why did Rutledge, who was otherwise masked for all six of his seasons in the WHA, enter the game without anything adorning his face?

“I didn’t think I’d be in that long,” Rutledge explained to McClain.

The cameo appearance in the cage turned out to be far more eventful than expected, from a short- and long-term perspective.

Rutledge was greeted by the Stingers’ Rick Dudley, who was foiled on a breakaway by what McClain described as “a beautiful stop.” The Aeros’ temporary ’tender made one more important save, on an undisclosed shooter, before Zimmerman returned to the game with the score tied at 3-3 and one minute remaining in the third period.

Cincinnati ended up winning 4-3 when swift-skating Peter Marsh tallied at 4:02 of overtime. Beware the strides of Marsh …

Dudley, coincidentally, had scored two goals for Cincinnati in its 7-3 victory over the Indianapolis Racers on Nov. 13, 1976, in the last game ever played by a full-time maskless goalie (Andy Brown).

The Racers’ head coach on that occasion was Jacques Demers, who was also the Stingers’ bench boss when they faced the momentarily maskless Rutledge on Feb. 17, 1978.

The latter contest, played at The Summit in Houston, was witnessed by 7,487 spectators, including Bob Rennison and his nephew (Richard) and niece (Rachel). In a diary entry dated Feb. 17, 1978, Rennison wrote: “Tonight me Rachel & Dickie went to the Aeros game. Cincy won 4-3. Rut played without a mask.”

Rennison recalled 44 years later that the general reaction at The Summit to Rutledge’s masklessness was that “nobody made a big deal of it.”

But it was a big deal to Rennison, who went downstairs after the game to get autographs and meet the players.

“When Rutledge walked by us, I asked him, ‘Why didn’t you wear a mask?’ ” Rennison remembered. “He said, ‘Well, I never used to wear a mask.’ ”

Book cover.jpg

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
Thank you so much for the comments! ... Gaye Cooley was/is a gem. What a great guy. He is all sorts of fun with an original story to tell. I will always be grateful to the Greensboro Public Library for being able to establish whether Gaye Cooley or Andy Brown was the last of the two to wear a mask ... To answer an earlier question, the first section of the book follows the chronology of the mask evolution for a handful of chapters. Then it becomes largely biographical, beginning with profiles of the well-known goalies and transitioning into chapters on lesser-known goaltenders whose stories were such a joy to tell (Gaye Cooley, Ian Young, Wayne Rutledge, Russ Gillow, Bob Perreault). Until writing this book, I had only heard of Wayne Rutledge — his wife, Sharyn, is an amazing person — and I feel very honoured to have been able to tell all those stories ... It's also an honour to be able to interact with you on this forum. I welcome any and all questions. Thanks again!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hi Rob, I bought your book months ago. There were about 25 prominent hockey books that came out this fall, and I had yours listed as one of five must-haves.

My "to read" list is much too long, so I regret to report that I have not read it yet, but when skimming I was very impressed by the stories within. I'll be getting to it eventually!

(We've met before... You helped me with an article in February 2022)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The Russ Gillow section was one of my favorites as well - when we found him as a dressed backup for the Flyers, I started to poke around more but got caught up in other areas and made some notes to come back. He's a fascinating dude and the WHA was just so odd (as you exhibit with the Rutledge story).

Reactions: Rob Vanstone

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
Russ Gillow was a total bonus. I found out about him late in the research process (my bad!) and I'm so glad he wasn't an omission. His Flyers story is such a neat tale, and it also opened the door to tell the story of Bruce Gamble. To me, there isn't a more remarkable story in hockey than Gamble nearly registering a shutout during a game -- his final game, as it turned out -- in which he had suffered a heart attack.

Reactions: Doctor No

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
Hi Rob, I bought your book months ago. There were about 25 prominent hockey books that came out this fall, and I had yours listed as one of five must-haves.

My "to read" list is much too long, so I regret to report that I have not read it yet, but when skimming I was very impressed by the stories within. I'll be getting to it eventually!

(We've met before... You helped me with an article in February 2022)
I am so glad I could help! Well, I hope I helped, anyway. Thanks for purchasing the book and I hope you enjoy it. You should see my mountainous reading pile, so I hear you! :)

The Russ Gillow section was one of my favorites as well - when we found him as a dressed backup for the Flyers, I started to poke around more but got caught up in other areas and made some notes to come back. He's a fascinating dude and the WHA was just so odd (as you exhibit with the Rutledge story).
I just saw that there was a "Reply" function (duh!), so I have replied below. Sorry to be so disjointed!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
the first section of the book follows the chronology of the mask evolution for a handful of chapters. Then it becomes largely biographical, beginning with profiles of the well-known goalies and transitioning into chapters on lesser-known goaltenders whose stories were such a joy to tell (Gaye Cooley, Ian Young, Wayne Rutledge, Russ Gillow, Bob Perreault).

Thanks.

So you have written about Canadian football and, as a journalist, about contemporary hockey too I assume. What prompted you to write about old-time hockey and about goalies in particular?

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
Thanks.

So you have written about Canadian football and, as a journalist, about contemporary hockey too I assume. What prompted you to write about old-time hockey and about goalies in particular?
I have always been fascinated by goalies. My first exposure to hockey was seeing the Boston Bruins on TV in 1971. The camera zoomed in on Gerry Cheevers and I was intrigued by that mask. I then found out the story behind the painted-on stitches and became intrigued as well about hockey. I would always watch the goalies on TV and, as a kid, try to mimic them during the telecasts. I tended to let in more goals than they did. :) ... I played goal for one season (1972-73) and there was not an audible lament when, at age nine, I retired. Beyond that, my interest in goalies endured, as did my fascination about the maskless days. I couldn't believe it then. I still can't believe it now!

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One of the interesting subtleties brought up in the Dryden chapter is something that's hard to explain to folks - but you have to look at the alternatives at the time.

It's easy to look back and say "holy cow, can you imagine wearing a fiberglass mask" or whatever. These things were dangerous as heck, but you have to compare against what the other options were AT THE TIME. You can't say "well, obviously I'd rather wear what Connor Hellebuyck skates onto the ice with right now".

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
OVERVIEW

Brave Face is billed by the publisher, Triumph Books, as "a fascinating and immersive chronicle of hockey's original maskless warriors."

More than 400 stitches decorated Terry Sawchuk's face during his 16 years as a goaltender in the National Hockey League, the result of high-speed collisions and slapshots that whizzed directly at his skull. All in a day’s work for an elite goalie of his era.

Before facemasks became standard equipment in the 1960s and '70s, men like Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, and Jacques Plante — the first goalie to ever wear a mask for an extended period in the NHL — put their bodies on the line in the name of hockey, enduring broken bones, damaged organs, and even psychological turmoil.

In this thoroughly researched book, Rob Vanstone illuminates the stories of these intrepid warriors while examining how the goaltender position has changed throughout the decades. As masks evolved from ghoulish-looking creations not out of place in horror films to today's caged helmets with custom artwork, goalies’ body positioning and tactics were similarly transformed along with NHL regulations.

Brave Face tells the stories of legendary goalies such as Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley and Gerry Cheevers, while also exploring the lives and careers of lesser-known but nonetheless fascinating maskless marvels such as Gaye Cooley, Andy Brown, Wayne Rutledge, Russ Gillow, Bob Perreault and Ian Young.

There is also input from current NHL goalies James Reimer and Cam Talbot, both of whom marvel at their goaltending brethren from decades ago. The brave shot-blockers — non-goalies who nonetheless hurled their bodies in the path of flying pucks — are also saluted over 300 pages.

Told with charm and verve, this is an essential portrait of a uniquely brutal and harrowing chapter in hockey history.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Rob Vanstone spent nearly 37 years at the Regina Leader-Post, ascending to the roles of sports columnist and sports editor, before joining the Saskatchewan Roughriders as their Senior Journalist and Historian on Feb. 21, 2023. Rob has written three previous books, all about the Roughriders. Brave Face is his second collaboration with Triumph Books. Rob and his wife, Chryssoula, live in Regina, Saskatchewan for the purpose of devotedly catering to their entitled rescue dog, Candy.

TO PURCHASE

From Triumph Books:
Brave Face

From Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Brave-Face-Hockey-Goaltenders-Before/dp/1637272162

EXCERPT: From Chapter 18

The Dancing Bear was bare-faced for a fraction of his final season of professional hockey.

In that fragment of time, Wayne Rutledge made history — inadvertently, yet undeniably — by becoming the last maskless goalie in North American professional hockey.

He certainly didn’t plan it that way. Honestly, though, how many things did unfold as designed in the often-unpredictable, always-colourful World Hockey Association?

Rutledge wasn’t even supposed to play in a Feb. 17, 1978 game between the Houston Aeros and the visiting Cincinnati Stingers. Aeros head coach Bill Dineen had opted to start Lynn Zimmerman in net, and there he stayed well into the third period. Then came an unanticipated twist.

“With four minutes left, Zimmerman skated to the Aeros’ bench on a delayed penalty,” John McClain wrote in the Houston Chronicle. “He stopped to get some water, and Houston was forced to use Rutledge, who did not wear a mask.”

Why were the Aeros suddenly required to make a goaltending change on account of a what is conventionally a simple water break? That much remains unclear.

And why did Rutledge, who was otherwise masked for all six of his seasons in the WHA, enter the game without anything adorning his face?

“I didn’t think I’d be in that long,” Rutledge explained to McClain.

The cameo appearance in the cage turned out to be far more eventful than expected, from a short- and long-term perspective.

Rutledge was greeted by the Stingers’ Rick Dudley, who was foiled on a breakaway by what McClain described as “a beautiful stop.” The Aeros’ temporary ’tender made one more important save, on an undisclosed shooter, before Zimmerman returned to the game with the score tied at 3-3 and one minute remaining in the third period.

Cincinnati ended up winning 4-3 when swift-skating Peter Marsh tallied at 4:02 of overtime. Beware the strides of Marsh …

Dudley, coincidentally, had scored two goals for Cincinnati in its 7-3 victory over the Indianapolis Racers on Nov. 13, 1976, in the last game ever played by a full-time maskless goalie (Andy Brown).

The Racers’ head coach on that occasion was Jacques Demers, who was also the Stingers’ bench boss when they faced the momentarily maskless Rutledge on Feb. 17, 1978.

The latter contest, played at The Summit in Houston, was witnessed by 7,487 spectators, including Bob Rennison and his nephew (Richard) and niece (Rachel). In a diary entry dated Feb. 17, 1978, Rennison wrote: “Tonight me Rachel & Dickie went to the Aeros game. Cincy won 4-3. Rut played without a mask.”

Rennison recalled 44 years later that the general reaction at The Summit to Rutledge’s masklessness was that “nobody made a big deal of it.”

But it was a big deal to Rennison, who went downstairs after the game to get autographs and meet the players.

“When Rutledge walked by us, I asked him, ‘Why didn’t you wear a mask?’ ” Rennison remembered. “He said, ‘Well, I never used to wear a mask.’ ”

View attachment 814538
I have Rob’s other books. I can’t wait to order this one. I can attest that his writing and research is thorough, accurate and professional He has a great sense of history, ability to weave a story and bring out the emotion of a subject. This will be another quality read I am certain. Thanks Rob for the addition to my bookshelf.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Beyond that, my interest in goalies endured, as did my fascination about the maskless days. I couldn't believe it then. I still can't believe it now!

It sure is fascinating. I'll never forget coming across the opinion of one well-known maskless goalie on the prospect of wearing a mask:

The Ottawa Journal 15. Feb 1912
Percy Lesueur, the Ottawa net guardian, and famed wherever hockey is known, laughs at the idea of a mask. "I have been playing for some time and have never felt the need of it." he said. "A mask would interfere with a goal tender´s view, and, anyway, when did goal tender ever recieved any serious injury by being hit with a puck? Not for a long time in big league hockey."

What a different world that was.

Rob, are there any particularly memorable or impressive individual stories you discovered when you were working on your book?

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
I just picked up a copy!
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it!

One of the interesting subtleties brought up in the Dryden chapter is something that's hard to explain to folks - but you have to look at the alternatives at the time.

It's easy to look back and say "holy cow, can you imagine wearing a fiberglass mask" or whatever. These things were dangerous as heck, but you have to compare against what the other options were AT THE TIME. You can't say "well, obviously I'd rather wear what Connor Hellebuyck skates onto the ice with right now".
Exactly. The question about Ken's first NHL mask was the last question I asked him in the interview (he was great). I mentioned that it looked like it barely provided any protection -- and it didn't! But he was quick to put it in context, and did so superbly as always.

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
It sure is fascinating. I'll never forget coming across the opinion of one well-known maskless goalie on the prospect of wearing a mask:

What a different world that was.

Rob, are there any particularly memorable or impressive individual stories you discovered when you were working on your book?
Hmmm. Where to start? I had never heard the story of Ian Young — who was touted as the next great Boston Bruins goaltender. He suffered an eye injury while playing maskless in the OHL (then the OHA) and that changed everything. I saw a mention of Ian in Jim Hunt's book, The Men In The Nets, and was so fortunate to track him down. He has had an amazing life and career and was so co-operative. I was also very fortunate to be able to interview Mickey Redmond, who took the shot that inadvertently caused the eye injury, and he was fantastic. The research process was routinely fascinating, but the Ian Young chapter and the cheerful co-operation of Mickey Redmond really resonated with me. And Gaye Cooley (Chapter 16) is worth a book, period. Great story and a wonderfully nice and funny guy.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Hmmm. Where to start? I had never heard the story of Ian Young — who was touted as the next great Boston Bruins goaltender. He suffered an eye injury while playing maskless in the OHL (then the OHA) and that changed everything. I saw a mention of Ian in Jim Hunt's book, The Men In The Nets, and was so fortunate to track him down. He has had an amazing life and career and was so co-operative. I was also very fortunate to be able to interview Mickey Redmond, who took the shot that inadvertently caused the eye injury, and he was fantastic. The research process was routinely fascinating, but the Ian Young chapter and the cheerful co-operation of Mickey Redmond really resonated with me. And Gaye Cooley (Chapter 16) is worth a book, period. Great story and a wonderfully nice and funny guy.

Ian Young was a great little-known story to me - when I was in grad school late 1990s, I wore out multiple copies of Young's goaltending manuals. I knew that he had promise as a goalie himself but I'd never really put it all together.

Rob Vanstone

Feb 4, 2024
I have Rob’s other books. I can’t wait to order this one. I can attest that his writing and research is thorough, accurate and professional He has a great sense of history, ability to weave a story and bring out the emotion of a subject. This will be another quality read I am certain. Thanks Rob for the addition to my bookshelf.
Thank you SO much! I hope you enjoy it!

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad