Proposal: Brannstroming A Brandt New Approach: L.A. + OTT + DAL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
This was addressed in the OP...

And since L.A. could realistically challenge for a playoff spot this season, it makes sense they'd roll with NHL-ready players like Vilardi and Brannstrom instead of Turcotte and Clarke, both of whom will likely be in the minors for the next season or two

The end goal isn’t to make the playoffs. It’s to win the cup, and it is much easier and realistic to do so with Turcotte & Clarke making league minimum on your team in 1-2 years.

Why do you think teams that are coming out of a rebuild don’t just sell the farm to make playoffs?

Should Ottawa offer Sanderson, Boucher, Gustavsson to the Oilers for Barrie, Hyman & Smith just because it makes them better next year? Bad example because of the age discrepancies but you get the point.

Reactions: kinghock

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
After hearing from L.A. fans about how excited they are for a young offensive-minded Dman, I've come up with a new proposal that includes Brannstrom heading to the Kings. And since L.A. could realistically challenge for a playoff spot this season, it makes sense they'd roll with NHL-ready players like Vilardi and Brannstrom instead of Turcotte and Clarke, both of whom will likely be in the minors for the next season or two

Sens out: Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Connor Brown (50% retained), NYI's 2022 7th
Sens in: Turcotte, Clarke, Maatta, Quick, L.A.'s 2022 1st

Kings out: Turcotte, Clarke, Maatta, Quick, 2022 1st
Kings in: Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Connor Brown (50% retained), Holtby

Dallas out: Holtby
Dallas in: NYI's 2022 7th

Ottawa pick up a hometown RD prospect with upside in Clarke, a center with top 6 potential in Turcotte, and an unprotected 2022 1st from the Kings. Quick gives them another veteran goalie who's not worth his cap hit, but is owed significantly less in real dollars. Taking Maatta was done for cap reasons, but he can be flipped with retention in order to maximize whatever trade value he may have

Los Angeles pick up a truculent young 1st line winger, a young offensive RD in Brannstrom, and a solid middle 6 winger at a bargain price. They also clear the final 2 seasons of Quick's contract, while Holtby gives them a veteran backup on a 1 year deal

Dallas makes room for Oettinger by erasing the off-season's most baffling signing

OP, can you make your proposals with less pieces and only 2 teams? 3-teams trades rarely happen and just make it much more complicated. If we remove the Dallas part

Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Connor Brown (50% retained)

for

Turcotte, Clarke, Maatta, Quick, L.A.'s 2022 1st

I was going to say "no way" but the LA 1st made me pause. However, adding Tkachuk, Brown and even Brannstrom could be a boost for them to make that 1st less attractive. At the same time, I'm not even sure why they would do that, they probably have a ton of young players that they'd need to find them spots

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
They just signed Doughty to a long term extension not all that long ago... they've got Kopitar for at least another 3 years... they inexplicably signed Danault to a long term deal...they just brought in Edler... they just signed their 26 year old goaltender to a 3 year extension... they traded for Arvidsson... extended Iafallo...

Seems like the Kings have shifted into win-now mode, doesn't it?

It's not like they're acquiring ancient veterans with this deal... Tkachuk and Brannstrom haven't reached their prime yet, and Brown is only 27

Plus, the Kings still have their own young talent ready to contribute in Byfield, Vilardi, Anderson, Bjornfot, and Kaliyev

I can understand the reluctance to pull the trigger on a deal like this, but I actually think it's Ottawa who's taking the bigger gamble

They're giving up young team-controlled talent who have proven they can play at the NHL level... the Kings are not

OK, it's Ottawa who's taking the bigger gamble and Kings still do not want this trade.
May be it is not a good trade for both teams after all?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The other pieces add very little compared to what you're asking for

L.A.'s icing a very good team, IMO, after this trade, so their 2022 pick might not even be in the lottery...

Connor Brown has been producing at a 50 point pace since joining Ottawa... at 1.8 million for the next 2 seasons, based on precedent he's worth a mid 1st rd pick

Brannstrom certainly comes with some question marks - as do Turcotte and Clarke, but the Sens are providing additional value to the trade by taking on Quick's 5.8 million cap hit next season

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
OK, it's Ottawa who's taking the bigger gamble and Kings still do not want this trade.
May be it is not a good trade for both teams after all?

It wouldn't be known for years whether this trade was good or bad for either team...

It's calculated risk that could pay off for both teams, just one team, or neither side

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
L.A.'s icing a very good team, IMO, after this trade, so their 2022 pick might not even be in the lottery...

Connor Brown has been producing at a 50 point pace since joining Ottawa... at 1.8 million for the next 2 seasons, based on precedent he's worth a mid 1st rd pick

Brannstrom certainly comes with some question marks - as do Turcotte and Clarke, but the Sens are providing additional value to the trade by taking on Quick's 5.8 million cap hit next season

Good for Brown. LA has a bunch of players who project to be very similar, middle 6 forwards. LA isn't in a position where he adds anything of value.

Brarnnstrom is a huge question mark, his value isn't what it was a year or two ago. Again not much value for LA.

"Taking on" Quick does nothing. The Kings would need a backup goalie, and Quick is still a serviceable 1B. And that's ignoring how much he means to the franchise. Hard pass

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Good for Brown. LA has a bunch of players who project to be very similar, middle 6 forwards. LA isn't in a position where he adds anything of value.

Brarnnstrom is a huge question mark, his value isn't what it was a year or two ago. Again not much value for LA.

"Taking on" Quick does nothing. The Kings would need a backup goalie, and Quick is still a serviceable 1B. And that's ignoring how much he means to the franchise. Hard pass

I think your credibility as a player evaluator has to be questioned if you consider Quick to be a "serviceable 1B" at this point in his career...

Over his last 110 games, Quick has a 3.05 GAA and a .895 SV%

He'd be lucky to get a job for the league minimum as a team's primary backup at this point...

With that said, it's certainly possible he regains his old form, but I wouldn't be willing to bet 5.8 million in cap space on it

Last edited:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Proposal has way too many pieces. Just make it Brannstrom for Vilardi or something along those lines that makes more sense for everyone involved.

LA gets their desired young offensive minded D and can play Turcotte or someone in the 3C spot and Ottawa gets a young centre allowing them to fire Tierney into the sun.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think you lose any credibility as a player evaluator if you consider Quick to be a "serviceable 1B" at this point in his career...

He'd be lucky to get a job for the league minimum as a team's primary backup at this point...

With that said, it's certainly possible he regains his old form, but I wouldn't be willing to bet 5.8 million in cap space on it

He's also had terrible team defense in front of him, LA has been one of the worst teams in the league over those three years. As the Kings get better as a team, he too will improve. He might not be a starter anymore, but no Kings fans are claiming he is, nor do we want to get rid of him. If you remove his two bad games against Vegas last year, he had a .912 SV% and a 2.55 GAA last season. That's good enough for me, especially considering everything he's done for and in LA.

Can we take a shot at just Tkachuk coming to LA? Surely LA has the pieces to make that a reality.

Reactions: JKG33 and Perennial

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He's also had terrible team defense in front of him, LA has been one of the worst teams in the league over those three years. As the Kings get better as a team, he too will improve. He might not be a starter anymore, but no Kings fans are claiming he is, nor do we want to get rid of him. If you remove his two bad games against Vegas last year, he had a .912 SV% and a 2.55 GAA last season. That's good enough for me, especially considering everything he's done for and in LA.

Can we take a shot at just Tkachuk coming to LA? Surely LA has the pieces to make that a reality.

Feel free to make a proposal...

Just keep in mind the Kings will have to clear enough salary in the deal to fit Tkachuk's new cap hit

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think you lose any credibility as a player evaluator if you consider Quick to be a "serviceable 1B" at this point in his career...

No, you lose all credibility when you just look at his numbers on a shit team. Try watching a game. Sure Quick has bad ones, but he still saves this teams ass more often than not.

Reactions: kinghock

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Feel free to make a proposal...

Just keep in mind the Kings will have to clear enough salary in the deal to fit Tkachuk's new cap hit

That's fair. Kings have $2.7 million in cap space, and Maatta and Athanasiou combine for another $6 million. So let's try this:

To Los Angeles: Brady Tkachuk
To Ottawa: Olli Maatta, Andreas Athanasiou, Brandt Clarke or Alex Turcotte, Tyler Madden or Rasmus Kupari, LA 2022 1st (top five protected)

Tkachuk - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Danault - Iafallo
Andersson - Vilardi - Tkachev

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
That's fair. Kings have $2.7 million in cap space, and Maatta and Athanasiou combine for another $6 million. So let's try this:

To Ottawa: Olli Maatta, Andreas Athanasiou, Brandt Clarke or Alex Turcotte, Tyler Madden or Rasmus Kupari, LA 2022 1st (top five protected)

Madden had 1 goal in 14 games last season as a 21 year old in the AHL, so I'm not sure Ottawa would consider him much of an asset

With the addition of Tkachuk, plus Danault, Edler, and Arvidsson, it wouldn't surprise me if the Kings challenged for a playoff spot this season, so that L.A. 2022 1st might not even be in the lottery

Maatta and Athanasiou are both 27 year olds on expiring contracts, so it's likely the Sens would have to flip them in order to gain anything of value out of them long term... what can they realistically fetch in a trade if Ottawa retained 50% to maximize their value? Maybe a late 2nd rd pick each?

So, assuming Madden doesn't move the needle, the trade is essentially...

Kings in: Tkachuk

Sens in: Clarke, 2022 1st (10 - 18 range), plus whatever they can get by flipping Maatta and Athanasiou

Do you take that deal if you're Ottawa?

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I see that you edited your proposal to include Kupari... I'm guessing he would garner more interest from Ottawa

Sens in: Clarke, Kupari, and L.A.'s 2022 1st, plus whatever they can get by flipping Maatta and Athansiou

That might be enough for Ottawa to pull the trigger, but they'd have to really like Clarke...

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
After hearing from L.A. fans about how excited they are for a young offensive-minded Dman, I've come up with a new proposal that includes Brannstrom heading to the Kings. And since L.A. could realistically challenge for a playoff spot this season, it makes sense they'd roll with NHL-ready players like Vilardi and Brannstrom instead of Turcotte and Clarke, both of whom will likely be in the minors for the next season or two

Kings out: Turcotte, Clarke, Maatta, Quick, 2022 1st
Kings in: Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Connor Brown (50% retained), Holtby

I have no idea if you do this on purpose or what is it with you.

So the Kings are exited to get an elite offensive dman just to trade him away for lot's of garbage and give up Turcotte and a 1st on top?

I give you the benefit of doubt a last time.
The Kings are only in need of a goal scoring winger and nothing else. If a trade like that is available, it will only be 1vs 1 for our top youngsters.
Please tell me, how the hell does this proposal fit into that mould?
We neither get a goals coring winger or a 1vs1 trade.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I see that you edited your proposal to include Kupari... I'm guessing he would garner more interest from Ottawa

Sens in: Clarke, Kupari, and L.A.'s 2022 1st, plus whatever they can get by flipping Maatta and Athansiou

That might be enough for Ottawa to pull the trigger...

For ***** sake........
Tkachuk is a 20+ goal scorer.
The only thing i would offer for him is either or in any combination Iafallo, Athanasiou, Maata, Danault, Wagner, Brown
You can pick either a single player and a 3rd or 2 players in any combination

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I have no idea if you do this on purpose or what is it with you.

So the Kings are exited to get an elite offensive dman just to trade him away for lot's of garbage and give up Turcotte and a 1st on top?

I give you the benefit of doubt a last time.
The Kings are only in need of a goal scoring winger and nothing else. If a trade like that is available, it will only be 1vs 1 for our top youngsters.
Please tell me, how the hell does this proposal fit into that mould?
We neither get a goals coring winger or a 1vs1 trade.

Shouldn't Clarke have to achieve some level of success in the NHL before he's labelled an "elite offensive Dman"?

Lots of Dman selected with high picks never live up to the expectations that came with their draft slot...

Erik Gudbranson 3rd
Ryan Murray 2nd
Griffin Reinhart 4th
Michael Dal Colle 5th
Olli Juolevi 5th

Brady Tkachuk, however, has lived up to his... which is why, IMO, he's clearly the most valuable asset listed in the OP

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
For ***** sake........
Tkachuk is a 20+ goal scorer.
The only thing i would offer for him is either or in any combination Iafallo, Athanasiou, Maata, Danault, Wagner, Brown
You can pick either a single player and a 3rd or 2 players in any combination

Save the drama for your mama...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad