Proposal: Brannstrom for Poehling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens do not answer the phone. Then burn the phone, then burn the reception tower, then burn the satellites to make sure Bergevin never calls again.

Seriously though just wait until next year and grab Poelhing off waivers.

Would need someone in a similar situation with more potential IMO. Or package him with picks/players for an upgrade at C, RW or D.

Last edited:

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
giphy.gif

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Sens say no in a heartbeat.

Anyone who has watched Brannstrom wonders why he isnt in the league.

Where as when you watch Poehling…. you know why.

Reactions: Deku

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Both fill a need for the long term.
Who says no ?

:habs
Brannstrom

:sens
Poehling
Poehling continues to carry no value. He’s a poor man’s Mete… a player the Habs lost on waivers.

Should just waive Poehling if you want his contract spot for someone else. I’m sure a Buffalo or Yotes would take a flyer as a waiver claim.

Not sure why either would even give a 6th rounder for Poehling today. Poehling probably won’t make either of their teams either.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Brannstrom scored at a 35pt pace as a 21yr old DMan getting limited minutes last year. He's been in the AHL for 3 games. This is getting ridiculous.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Brannstrom scored at a 35pt pace as a 21yr old DMan getting limited minutes last year. He's been in the AHL for 3 games. This is getting ridiculous.

I think the main concern from a Sens perspective is that he can't seem to beat guys like Mete and MDZ to make the team even if he's way better offensively than both of them. These are two guys the team made efforts to acquire in the last few months so clearly they didn't feel comfortable using Brannstrom. Both Mete and MDZ aren't world beaters so it's definitely a bit concerning that the coaching staff doesn't feel like Branny gives them the best chance to win every night. We all know he's not very good defensively but it seems like Mann in Bellville and DJ in Ottawa both feel like Brannstrom needs to be way better defensively to make it here.

Bottom line I think that's what other teams will look at, and that will impact Branny's values around the league.

You're right though that Poehling doesn't seem like fair value, he doesn't have enough upside at this point.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think the main concern from a Sens perspective is that he can't seem to beat guys like Mete and MDZ to make the team even if he's way better offensively than both of them. These are two guys the team made efforts to acquire in the last few months so clearly they didn't feel comfortable using Brannstrom. Both Mete and MDZ aren't world beaters so it's definitely a bit concerning that the coaching staff doesn't feel like Branny gives them the best chance to win every night. We all know he's not very good defensively but it seems like Mann in Bellville and DJ in Ottawa both feel like Brannstrom needs to be way better defensively to make it here.

Bottom line I think that's what other teams will look at, and that will impact Branny's values around the league.

You're right though that Poehling doesn't seem like fair value, he doesn't have enough upside at this point.

I think you are reading way too much into him not being on the team for the first three games. If he was waiver eligible, he would be up here and may well have played by now. This is not unique to Ottawa, LA has Anderson-Dolan in the exact same situation.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think you are reading way too much into him not being on the team for the first three games. If he was waiver eligible, he would be up here and may well have played by now. This is not unique to Ottawa, LA has Anderson-Dolan in the exact same situation.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. ''It's not because the coach doesn't play him that he isn't good'', and you're right. At the same time I always wonder because fans are often calling for high draft picks and good AHLers to get opportunities even though the coaching staff doesn't feel that way. I think about guys like Prince, Puempel, L.Brown, C. Wolanin, Da Costa and etc. I remember last season a lot of Sens fans had Wolanin penciled as a 2nd pairing Dman on the team and turns out he barely looks like a NHL player at this point. I also remember when we traded Wideman a lot of people were frustrated because they thought he was one of our 4 best defensemen. Fans typically overvalue offensive defensemen, it seems as though coaches want guys to be able to defend and they won't get away with only being good offensively. For that reason, I tend to be skeptical about prospects who have a hard time making it even though they have higher potential. Potential is potential, it has to materialize at some point and if we're being honest there's no way Brannstrom reaches the potential some initially thought he had when he was drafted.

I'm just not convinced Brannstrom has that much value around the league. I think best case scenario you recoup a 2nd rounder. I also think the situation with Brannstrom is a bit different than A-D in that he's not getting sent down because of other players with more potential, or because other players had a great camp. It seems like he's getting sent down because they simply don't trust him and prefer a guy like MDZ. Let's face it they wouldn't have signed MDZ if they thought Branny was a lock on the team.

On that note I think a Brann - AD deal could be interesting. We need a center and A-D plays exactly the type of game DJ likes.

Last edited:

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
as interesting as it may be i don't think the Habs would be interested, However we have a ton of left D prospects available if you're interested

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He's not good enough to beat Mete which we gave away, but he's going to get a second? Yeah...sure.

Guhle couldn't even beat Wideman, who we gave away for a 7th, and yet you guys wasted a 1st on him!?!? And Romanov couldn't even beat out Merrill, Gustafsson or Kulak in the playoffs! Wowza! I am making some real good points here....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad