Post-Game Talk: Brandon Sutter; a better goal scorer than Vrbata || Canucks lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah. I'm not really complaining or praising in my mind. It is more, this is how it is, and will be. I don't hate it, I don't love it, it doesn't really illicit a strong response for me. I mean, there are better options on the team, but Sutter isn't the worst.

I think part of the reason why he's there instead of on the third line is because they want to give McCann a chance to play those minutes. He's not supplementing Horvat on the 2nd line, and he doesn't play a 4th line game.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sutter has literally become the center version of Hansen. He's completely adequate at most everything, but there are players in the lineup that can do everything better than he. I'm not saying he's obsolete because he has his spot in the lineup still, but he's a complete tool box without a handle, y'know? Where does he fit in? He has everything to fit in, but he's a missing piece in and of himself. Great player, but where do you slot him? He's not a 4th liner, but I don't think he's a regular top 6er either.

While I agree that Sutter isn't traditionally what you like to see in your top 6, I'm not sure that on this team he isn't. We aren't exactly over flowing with top 6 forwards in the first place, with only Sedins, Bo, and Vrbata being definitely 'better' top 6 players. This makes Sutter our 5th best forward, arguably on par with Burrows, so I don't have a big problem with him being used as such. Besides unlike Vrbata and, to some degree Bo, Sutter has at least produced in his minutes so it's hard to be too critical of the decision, unless like Ars you object more to the fact that he is a Benning acquisition and grossly over paid.

I have far more problem with someone like Prust getting second line minutes while Virtanen gets minimal minutes each night. It's like Willie would rather have a player out there who is functionally limited in his abilities but doesn't do anything too bad than someone who is already as good and in future could be much better but might make a few more mistakes early on. The guy has no comprehension that giving a kid some rope to make those mistakes in October gives you a better player in April. He'd just rather roll with a low-upside guy in Prust who will probably give you less in April once the wear and tear of 82 games has taken its toll on his beat up body.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Sutter is doing very well. I hate him with the twins though. Reeks of justifying the acquisition.

Interesting to see desjardins playing him 21+ a night.

it reeks of the Sedins asking to play with right hand shots on the PP. Hence why you saw Virtanen on the 1st unit PP when Sutter took the stick in the mouth and why guys like Weber and Vey slotted in there as well.

Sutter is playing with the twins 5 on 5 because they want to see if Jared McCann can handle 3C duties, while Adam Cracknell deserves to stay in the lineup.

If McCann fades over the next handful of games I expect it will be the end of Sutter playing on the 1st line and getting so many minutes.

Personnel decisions are not made to justify Benning's acquisitions. Sven Baertschi was just healthy scratched, Vey waived and Clendeding and Bonino traded. Willie Desjardins is playing the guys he can count on at both ends of the ice and Sutter is about as good as it gets on that front. There is a reason Sutter was playing 17 and a half minutes last season on the team with the best 1-2 punch at centre in the league - he's a coaches dream.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I have far more problem with someone like Prust getting second line minutes while Virtanen gets minimal minutes each night. It's like Willie would rather have a player out there who is functionally limited in his abilities but doesn't do anything too bad than someone who is already as good and in future could be much better but might make a few more mistakes early on. The guy has no comprehension that giving a kid some rope to make those mistakes in October gives you a better player in April. He'd just rather roll with a low-upside guy in Prust who will probably give you less in April once the wear and tear of 82 games has taken its toll on his beat up body.

McCann on the third line?

It was Virtanen's first NHL game. I'll wait a few games before judging his deployment.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
it reeks of the Sedins asking to play with right hand shots on the PP. Hence why you saw Virtanen on the 1st unit PP when Sutter took the stick in the mouth and why guys like Weber and Vey slotted in there as well.

Sutter is playing with the twins 5 on 5 because they want to see if Jared McCann can handle 3C duties, while Adam Cracknell deserves to stay in the lineup.

If McCann fades over the next handful of games I expect it will be the end of Sutter playing on the 1st line and getting so many minutes.

Personnel decisions are not made to justify Benning's acquisitions. Sven Baertschi was just healthy scratched, Vey waived and Clendeding and Bonino traded. Willie Desjardins is playing the guys he can count on at both ends of the ice and Sutter is about as good as it gets on that front. There is a reason Sutter was playing 17 and a half minutes last season on the team with the best 1-2 punch at centre in the league - he's a coaches dream.

Pretty much.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Vrbata is playing fine. The puck just isn't going in.

if you mean playing fine by whiffing on shots, not skating, not going into the hard areas, and gliding around the ice like hes a retired vet doing a cameo role, then yeah, hes playing fine.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
if you mean playing fine by whiffing on shots, not skating, not going into the hard areas, and gliding around the ice like hes a retired vet doing a cameo role, then yeah, hes playing fine.

Agree. At this point I haven't seen much difference between Vrbata and Baertschi's play, other than the former being a vet and therefore getting the benefit of a track record plus a preference to shoot (thus giving the impression he is doing something) while the other prefers to pass. Both have been terrible off the puck however.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'd leave him there just to stick it to Vrbata.

You can't go and pout while giving no effort every time you can't play with the Sedins.

You're seriously advocating to make roster moves to spite our 5 million dollar 30 goal scorer?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
we most likely win this game if Willie D knew how to assemble a lineup.

This.

PP and Horvat's line are extremely poor coaching. Same with utilization of defensive depth in their system.

Tanev made two poor giveaways that both led to St Louis goals. Fortunately he has "history".

Hutton McCann and Virtanen all showing last night as ready for NHL (although the forwards need to be sheltered - ironically Hutton is sheltering Sbisa).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
(First NHL game of his that I've watched) ;)

Nice out ;)

Honestly I don't mind him getting low minutes in his first few games, but I just don't get the feeling that it is a "first few games" thing. Willie likes what he likes and what he likes is safe, low-event hockey. Even McCann - while getting good deployment in the third line - gets his minutes reigned in almost as much as Jake. Then I watch Domi and Duclair playing with tons of confidence and energy in Arizona and can't help but think that will never happen here because Willie doesn't like that kind of hockey.

It's just a bit frustrating is all. The guy is conservative to the point of it impairing his judgement.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Nice out ;)

Honestly I don't mind him getting low minutes in his first few games, but I just don't get the feeling that it is a "first few games" thing. Willie likes what he likes and what he likes is safe, low-event hockey. Even McCann - while getting good deployment in the third line - gets his minutes reigned in almost as much as Jake. Then I watch Domi and Duclair playing with tons of confidence and energy in Arizona and can't help but think that will never happen here because Willie doesn't like that kind of hockey.

It's just a bit frustrating is all. The guy is conservative to the point of it impairing his judgement.

Your prayers have been answered.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
at this point i would just rather demote vrbata to the third line and convert mccann to the wing to play with horvat. get someone like burrows or virtanen to play on his right wing and then you have someone to go into the hard area's with bo, and mccann who can dish the puck as good as any. too many anchors with bo makes it pretty hard to do anything when hes literally doing 100% of the defensive lifting, while doing 100% of the offense as well. too hard on him

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Didn't watch the game did Virt look good and was he still playing with Dorsett and Cracknell

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Omg Kids line incoming 10 point night WD excuse it was the oiler. Virt send back down to Junior and Sven waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad