News: Brandon Montour confirms turning down big offer from Toronto

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I honestly don’t even think Montour is worth 7 next year. He was playing on a pretty decent team, so his points will likely go down and his defence was never a strong point.

This all comes back down to whiffed trades and drafts. You will never fix your issues and build a champion through free agency
Oh I agree. I absolutely don't rate Montour at all. He's not good. Horrificly bad signing for Seattle.

Reactions: wetcoast

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
why would players want to play with the leafs right now anyways? maybe a few years ago or like 5 years ago sure. but its been like a decade with this core and pure failure. sure great offseasons, lots of money to be made here but they prove time and time again they cant get the job done. till Matthews turns that around. if your a big name player, why would you wanna come here?
Matthews.?
Yeah, not goin to happen

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Montour defensive lapses will be much more evident without Panthers defensive system

Leafs got lucky

Reactions: Idiot Stick

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I bet the Leafs talked to many free agents that didn't sign here but that doesn't mean they made offers to them or if they did it was for the same cap hit/term they signed elsewhere for .

and why are we quoting bloggers and taking there article as gospel ?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
montour would have been a great fit.
RHD dman, apparently great locker room guy and someone who could have run the top pp who has a big shot. Would have preferred Montour over Tanev as well
then a big rhd dman as your other signing

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I bet the Leafs talked to many free agents that didn't sign here but that doesn't mean they made offers to them or if they did it was for the same cap hit/term they signed elsewhere for .

and why are we quoting bloggers and taking there article as gospel ?
OP just trolling. Should see his thread on the main boards. had it titled "Chris Johnson says Toronto no longer a desirable destination" even though he never said such thing and actually quoted a random blogger who talked about what CJ was saying 🤣

Took over a day for someone to change the title.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If “everyone knows” what will the league penalize the Leafs when it happens?
I think if the league believes the intent is to abuse LTIR losing a 1st rd pick for each year of LTIR would be a fair penalty.
Who knows? The NHL just invents random penalties for these kinds of things and then seemingly rescinds them (unless you're Vancouver, the only team to actually get a cap recapture penalty).

Very likely won't be Treliving dealing with it, so he doesn't care.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
lol leafs probably dodged a bullet
I kind of agree with this as the 2 guys they did sign, Tanev and OEL are probably better fits and one has to wonder why a guy from Brantford didn't want to sign with the Leafs?

Some guys just like to blend into cities more than be in the Canadian hockey microscopes maybe but who knows?

Oh I agree. I absolutely don't rate Montour at all. He's not good. Horrificly bad signing for Seattle.
I kind of like Montour when he was a Ducks prospect but agree here and Seattle panicked with their FA signings this offseason.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like the player got what he wanted, so did Seattle and also so did the Leafs. *shrug*

Toronto addressed a need to get more of a shutdown presence on RD - not Montour's strength really - and still back filled with a PMD in OEL. They also may have dodged aging curves and Monty's high-event nature.

Seattle gets another puck transition defensemen outside of just Dunn to help get the puck up the ice.

Montour gets a good payday and a cool place to live.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Montour would have been a good fit in Toronto, beside McCabe actually, but not for that money, doesn't play both sides of the ice good enough to warrant 7.1m.

Seattle had a off-season to forget IMO. Between that Montour @ 7.1m and Stephnson @ 6.25m.. Oof

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Top 3 prospect pool in the league, I think we’ll be fine actually especially when we sign Draisaitl and Crosby for huge discount deals and Fowler becomes the next Hasek
They had a good draft this draft but it doesn't vault them up into 3rd place and alot of their ranking is based on depth not impact players.

Who actually ranks them 3rd BTW?

Lane Hutson and David Reinbacher are their best bets on the back end and if they were combined into a single player they would be awesome but Hutson is going to have major defensive growing pains and Reinbacher is tracking to be a really solid #2 type of Dman, maybe he reaches a #1 type but I'm not sure that his offense will be up to the task.

Demidov I guess is penciled in as a Kuch clone and Hage is probably a top 10 in any Habs forum redraft eh?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They had a good draft this draft but it doesn't vault them up into 3rd place and alot of their ranking is based on depth not impact players.

Who actually ranks them 3rd BTW?

Lane Hutson and David Reinbacher are their best bets on the back end and if they were combined into a single player they would be awesome but Hutson is going to have major defensive growing pains and Reinbacher is tracking to be a really solid #2 type of Dman, maybe he reaches a #1 type but I'm not sure that his offense will be up to the task.

Demidov I guess is penciled in as a Kuch clone and Hage is probably a top 10 in any Habs forum redraft eh?
I said top 3 not third, I’d rank them higher than third

Demidov is a franchise level prospect up until the moment he was drafted, Hage has good 2C upside

Agreed about the defense

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad