News: Brandon Montour confirms turning down big offer from Toronto

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I think it needs to be said and repeated, the city...GTA...is not as attractive as our collective confirmation bias would have us believe. It's the not the same place as - insert the # of years here - it used to be, and when players choose Edmonton or Boston or the state of Florida over us, its as Montour implies, more than just about the club you're joining.

Couple that with our "winning tradition" and our very supportive media, well...Is there any wonder why the future looks so dried up at times?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
he has his cup. now just wants to cash out so obviously he went where he could maximize his earnings...

toronto is also an expensive place to live and raise family, with crime rates high and what not....

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Doesn’t make it a good signing / term ..
I don’t like the leafs. But Montour kind of saved the leafs here. His contract sucks and it’s too long and he’s a pumpkin who had a good year. He’s due to go back to what he has been for most of his career

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I mean the sharks have had more way playoff success than the leafs recently, the sharks as a franchise have won 3 playoff rounds in one playoff year...something the fabled maple leafs have never done in their long storied franchise history.
They've literally missed the playoffs 5 years in a row while being the worst team and worst run organization in that time frame, prior to those 5 years they were the biggest playoff chokers in the league and that's what that core is remembered for.

It's just very silly for a Sharks fan to try and throw shade at another team, when they themselves have 0 cups and their best team/roster of all time is remembered for choking every year in the playoffs.

If it was like a Florida Panthers fan who's team has actually won, and won recently makes sense you have the right to chirp, they had their failures for many years, deep runs and finally broke through. But are we seriously saying losing in the finals like 10 years ago is an accomplishment ?

I'm sure you guys won't be celebrating losing the 2024 final in 2034, so not really something to brag about.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don’t like the leafs. But Montour kind of save the leafs here. His contract sucks and it’s too long and he’s a pumpkin who had a good year. He’s due to go back to what he has been for most of his career
Couldn’t agree more . Not what they need and too much for too long

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
They have the same number of playoff series wins as Toronto in this millenia. What exactly makes the premier clown franchise in the NHL now that the Coyotes are gone have any more credibility than the Kraken?
What exactly do you think a millenia is?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pajama boys don’t even want Toronto anymore.

First ROR, then Skinner, now Montour. And I’m probably forgetting some.

You could saying it’s all about “winning”. And it is partly, but like I been saying for years the toxic Toronto media market is also a huge reason why players don’t want to play for the Leaf’s.

Reactions: Devonator

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Toronto media is the biggest reason why they never win. Nobody in their right mind would want to play under that insane spotlight. They were a bottom feeder and the media STILL ran their best player out of town and shit all over him (Kessel). It’s happened a million times.

Play in Seattle and have an enjoyable, quiet life or play in Toronto and have every breath you take looked at under a microscope. I know which one I’d pick too.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Sounds like Treliving got saved by the player he tried to overpay. Thanks taxes? (even though Seattle has high taxes).

Seattle has one of the best tax situations for NHL players. They have no state tax just like TB, Florida, Dallas, Vegas and Nashville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad