Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is Meh! Still a thing? Kinda not good and kinda not bad... just MEH!

Tanev goes down, which if you look at the way he plays that is a real possibility, who moves up to play with Rielly? This team even with all the additions is not significantly better or worse on ice, I think the wild card is Berube... some coaches get more with the same cast of characters, look at what the Knoblaugh change in Edmonton did for that roster. Rumors were that McJesus was injured to start the season but somehow he miraculously healed when the old guy was turfed. NFL and NHL are the two sports that have the most influence from the Head Coach (IMO).

You would need to have someone capable of playing defense to partner with Rielly.

Now, that player doesn't have to have a boatload of tools, but be able to defend in his own zone.

Changing the coach just makes for a more interesting season. Could even be better.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You would need to have someone capable of playing defense to partner with Rielly.

Now, that player doesn't have to have a boatload of tools, but be able to defend in his own zone.

Changing the coach just makes for a more interesting season. Could even be better.

Right and who is that guy? OEL? Hakinpaa? One guy was garbage until FLA took him and the other guy is "stepping on a small rock" away from a career ending knee injury. If everything goes well, we got a great team, with no LW. How often do the stars align for the Leafs?

We might be a great team, we might be a team that implodes ... in years past I knew what we were, I honestly dont this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Right and who is that guy? OEL? Hakinpaa? One guy was garbage until FLA took him and the other guy is "stepping on a small rock" away from a career ending knee injury. If everything goes well, we got a great team, with no LW. How often do the stars align for the Leafs?

We might be a great team, we might be a team that implodes ... in years past I knew what we were, I honestly dont this year.

Stars align when they align, but I don't care about Dallas.

Leafs were just as bad as the Islanders defensively, but the Islanders don't have good defenders nor goaltenders.

It is even possible the Leafs have drafted someone who can play in the NHL on defence.

Brodie and Giordano weren't exactly marquis players the last 2 seasons.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Stars align when they align, but I don't care about Dallas.

Leafs were just as bad as the Islanders defensively, but the Islanders don't have good defenders nor goaltenders.

It is even possible the Leafs have drafted someone who can play in the NHL on defence.

Brodie and Giordano weren't exactly marquis players the last 2 seasons.

Da dump Dump ....LOL ....punny :)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If anyone has some belief that dumping Marner is suddenly going to make the others into winners, I have some bad news. Do we really think that it's just Marner dragging this team down, and getting rid of him, and adding a couple of $6 mil players is going to make all the difference?
No it very well might not.

But paying >10AAV each for 2 right wingers is just dumb.

we also have many years of trying what we have: the results were bad.

I think the wild card is Berube
Just wanting the team to perform regular season dump and chase wont make it happen.

Keefe was unique in his refusal or inability to ice the best team.

The Berube effect occurs over years. Hopefully the coach can shape the roster and not sign players with upcoming contracts that aren't post season players.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
That eliminates our entire roster..
that's not untrue.

I think Willy can perform in the post season (good shot, A+ skating, can carry the puck, can zone entry).

I have no problem moving on from AM34. I havent seen a way for him to score much in the past season. Maybe it isn't possible for his can't carry the puck, perimeter shot game. JT is a 2.5AAV or bye from me. I'm own rental for MM16.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
that's not untrue.

I think Willy can perform in the post season (good shot, A+ skating, can carry the puck, can zone entry).

I have no problem moving on from AM34. I havent seen a way for him to score much in the past season. Maybe it isn't possible for his can't carry the puck, perimeter shot game. JT is a 2.5AAV or bye from me. I'm own rental for MM16.

As crazy as that sounds, moving on from AM may not be so crazy. The guys on Overdrive, mostly "The Fraud" said this, but he put it succinctly yesterday, in Edmonton, Connor is "The guy", there is no Core 3, yes there is a Draisaitl, a Hyman a Bouchard but Connor drives that ship, in Colorado McKinnon is "The guy", there is no core 5, yes there is a Makar, a Landeskog, a Ratannen, but McKinnon drives the ship. In Toronto, yes AM scored 69, but did he in any of his 7 years drive the ship in the playoffs? Did Marner? Did Nylander? Did JT? They are all great players of varying degree's but have any of them separated themselves from the Core 4, to grab the "The Guy" title, consistently nope IMHO. Matty had a great series vs Tampa and what happened, we won the series. For us to win the cup, AM can't be = to Nylander, he can't be = to MM, and he absolutely can't be = to JT. Until he does separate himself, he is just part of 3 other equal parts. I think the "C" title is symbolic of that thought process, he is not , nor should he be = to anyone on the team.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
As crazy as that sounds, moving on from AM may not be so crazy. The guys on Overdrive, mostly the Fraud said this, but he put it succinctly yesterday, in Edmonton, Connor is "The guy", there is no Core 3, yes there is a Draisaitl, a Hyman a Bouchard but Connor drives that ship, in Colorado McKinnon is "The guy", there is no core 5, yes there is a Makar, a Landeskog, a Ratannen, but McKinnon drives the ship. In Toronto, yes AM scored 69, but did he in any of his 7 years drive the ship in the playoffs? Did Marner? Did Nylander? Did JT? They are all great players of varying degree's but have any of them separated themselves from the Core 4, to grab the "The Guy" title, consistently nope IMHO. Matty had a great series vs Tampa and what happened, we won the series.
Moving on from AM34 is crazy. He may not be taking over every series he plays in, but he is our guy and if you move on you have 'no guy' lol

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As crazy as that sounds, moving on from AM may not be so crazy. The guys on Overdrive, mostly "The Fraud" said this, but he put it succinctly yesterday, in Edmonton, Connor is "The guy", there is no Core 3, yes there is a Draisaitl, a Hyman a Bouchard but Connor drives that ship, in Colorado McKinnon is "The guy", there is no core 5, yes there is a Makar, a Landeskog, a Ratannen, but McKinnon drives the ship. In Toronto, yes AM scored 69, but did he in any of his 7 years drive the ship in the playoffs? Did Marner? Did Nylander? Did JT? They are all great players of varying degree's but have any of them separated themselves from the Core 4, to grab the "The Guy" title, consistently nope IMHO. Matty had a great series vs Tampa and what happened, we won the series. For us to win the cup, AM can't be = to Nylander, he can't be = to MM, and he absolutely can't be = to JT. Until he does separate himself, he is just part of 3 other equal parts. I think the "C" title is symbolic of that thought process, he is not , nor should he be = to anyone on the team.

I mean... I've said this many times, until your best players, are the best players on the ice in the playoffs, you aren't going to win. Changing all of the pieces around them won't make much of difference if the stars can't raise their games. I had been patient waiting for them to learn this, because sometimes it does take time. But as Shanahan said, that time for patience is over.

Hell, I would have made changes this offseason, but I guess Berube wanted his chance to coach all of them, and it is pretty unique to have that much talent on one team. Meaningless if it can't do anything. We need all three driving the ship, Nylander, MM and Matthews all need to be at their very best when it counts, and take over games. They are paid to be elite, and need to be elite when it counts.

Sadly, moving Matthews seems unlikely, as it would hurt revenues, and the team likely isn't a playoff contended at all, for quite some time. They've made him the C, and now it's time for him to be the Guy who drags everyone with him, to be better, and be what we need. Skeptical? Hell ya... we all are. But we love hockey, so here we are.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean... I've said this many times, until your best players, are the best players on the ice in the playoffs, you aren't going to win. Changing all of the pieces around them won't make much of difference if the stars can't raise their games. I had been patient waiting for them to learn this, because sometimes it does take time. But as Shanahan said, that time for patience is over.

Hell, I would have made changes this offseason, but I guess Berube wanted his chance to coach all of them, and it is pretty unique to have that much talent on one team. Meaningless if it can't do anything. We need all three driving the ship, Nylander, MM and Matthews all need to be at their very best when it counts, and take over games. They are paid to be elite, and need to be elite when it counts.

Sadly, moving Matthews seems unlikely, as it would hurt revenues, and the team likely isn't a playoff contended at all, for quite some time. They've made him the C, and now it's time for him to be the Guy who drags everyone with him, to be better, and be what we need. Skeptical? Hell ya... we all are. But we love hockey, so here we are.
How exactly does it hurt the revenues of a team that pretty much sells out every game? Jersey sales?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Great post.

They won’t have a issue selling playoff tickets with or without 34, of this I’d bet the farm…….

They could double the size of the ACC (is it still called the ACC?) and still sell out.

Reactions: rumman

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Jersey sales, other merch, playoff ticket revenue.

I think that is more important to other teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, etc. I suspect once the Flames crash and burn, pun intended, their gate revenue will drop. Super loyal fan base to a point but small, probably better things to do when it's minus 40 and your team is terrible. Toronto is such a cash cow they are almost too big to fail, we were among the top revenue earners when this team stunk during the Burke years. With or without AM, this team prints money.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Great post.

They could double the size of the ACC (is it still called the ACC?) and still sell out.
That’s why i mention it, there’s pretty much nothing that threatens ticket sales in Toronto, we all know this…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think that is more important to other teams lime Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, etc. I suspect once the Falmes crash and burn, pun intended, their gate revenue will drop. Super loyal fan base to a point but small, probably better things to do when it's minus 40 and your team is terrible. Toronto is such a cash cow they are almost too big to fail, we were among the top revenue earners when this team stunk during the Burke years. With or without AM, this team prints money.
I have/had family and friends who are/have been Flames season ticket holders and they don’t cherish their subscription like happens here in Toronto…..team sucks they give up said subscription. Unlike Toronto they don’t value their tickets like Gollum covets the ring…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If anyone has some belief that dumping Marner is suddenly going to make the others into winners, I have some bad news. Do we really think that it's just Marner dragging this team down, and getting rid of him, and adding a couple of $6 mil players is going to make all the difference?

Maybe Mac is convincing marner to join him in Colorado?

Leafs could be convinced ... Rantanen.

Okay, just kidding, but what the heck are the Avs going to do with Landeskog and Nichushkin coming onboard?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Okay, just kidding, but what the heck are the Avs going to do with Landeskog and Nichushkin coming onboard?
Landeskog would fit very nicely on this team, great leadership, phydical, questionable health……..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You'd be surprised at how many players from various teams reached out looking for him to join their team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Wonder if there is any chance Landeskog can play another 5 seasons after that surgery?
No idea, it’s a shame , he’s a great player/leader, just what we could use. Imo there’s no way his caphit will fit here anyways

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No I wouldn't.

He's a great setup man.

A team with shooters would always find room for him other than Cap.

Mind you, he could move to a tax free state, take a discount and pocket the same amount.
He doesn't want to leave. Legacy here is very important, he'll get paid regardless.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He doesn't want to leave. Legacy here is very important, he'll get paid regardless.
My vote was he'd be re-signed in Toronto.

At this point his legacy, isn't terrific in Toronto, but he's just part of the annual all disappointment team.

EDIT:

Considering all the teams we've watched since the early 60's this iteration is perhaps the greatest disappointment.

Loaded with elite talent, they have been abysmal when it comes to big games.

Team wide failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad