Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pacioretty, Tanev, OEL, Murray, Hakanpaa.

I guess Treliving plans on making judicious use of LTIR this year. I can't be the only one concerned everyone he signed is on the wrong side of thirty and made of glass am I. This is on top of such stalwarts as Robertson and Woll.

Every year the fans point out the lack of depth.

And every spring the team uses injuries as an excuse. Some fans would get fed up with watching this unfold year after year and tell the team to stuff it. Other fans like myself live for this crap.

Watching this team make mistake after glorious mistake is a lot more amusing than some might think.

All I see is a GM who's bad at his job. Because he keeps signing over the hill broken down journeymen well past their best before dates (among a whole host of other mistakes). Others look at this and say it's not his fault when half the roster is on LTIR come playoffs.

Nobody can predict injuries happening.
Obviously Tre is/was a big fan of the tv show MASH……..

This offseason was the definition of dumpster diving.
There’s no other place to shop when 53% of your cap is spent on four forwards……….

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
All that matters is the results. You can think it was a great off season. You can think we dumpster dived.

All that matters is winning rounds. Too early to judge.
It will be interesting to see how the acquired Vets hold up throughout the season and how much of their game is left for the playoffs? On paper the D looks better, but age and injuries are a real thing it could be a insignificant thing or it could be a big problem………..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It will be interesting to see how the acquired Vets hold up throughout the season and how much of their game is left for the playoffs? On paper the D looks better, but age and injuries are a real thing it could be a insignificant thing or it could be a big problem………..

The biggest acquisition is Berube. Why, because we will live and die, by Matthews, Marner and Nylander's playoff performances. So far, as a collective they have underperformed in the playoffs. If Berube can change that, we may have success. If he can't... one and done. Really, it doesn't matter who we surround these guys with, if they don't perform when needed.

Reactions: rumman

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The biggest move is Babcock.
The biggest move is Keefe.
The biggest acquisition is Berube.

.... which is the definition of "doing nothing". the coach isn't going to change the issue - flawed design.

The Leafs are a highly flawed, cap strapped team that did nothing because that's all they can do.

The overpaid core leaves no wiggle room to hope together a team with Cup potential.

Other than random chance, say 3%, this team is not improving enough to do anything different.

Shedding Marner and Tavares AAV is what we need to move forward.

... if the goal is to construct a cup winning team. .... which it probably isnt.

Extending Marner would end all hope of this team winning anything. Just like acquiring JT was not the move this team needed, extending Marner will have the same effect - no money to build a balanced team.

Last edited:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
In all we trust in Tre I suppose ....

We have been down this road it seems with every GM we have had.

Picking up old past their prime players to help us supposeldy get over the hump and it has never worked.

You would think we would learn from the last several yrs with Thorton , Marleau...etc....then we also pick up rentals at the trade deadline and these players are supposed to have experience and toughness for the playoffs and we still fall short.

Picking up Patch is another waste of time....old...coming off two bad injuries and our poor young kids look up and think to themselves.......again? When do we get a chance?

We used to have a young fast team and now slowly we are becoming a old team that is getting slower. We all witnessed other players come here as a Messiah and not crack the top 6 because they are just too slow to keep up with our stars.

I dont mind the moves on defence but the terms are too long for those players. Are we better in the backend and goaltending? I think so ....and I really hope so.

I know its just a PTO .....but I really hope the coaches and GM make the right decision if a kid like Cowan out plays Patch in training camp. But we all know....for whatever reason....we always pick the old vetern who is past their prime.

I can wait till this all starts..... Im never not excited about the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The biggest acquisition is Berube. Why, because we will live and die, by Matthews, Marner and Nylander's playoff performances. So far, as a collective they have underperformed in the playoffs. If Berube can change that, we may have success. If he can't... one and done. Really, it doesn't matter who we surround these guys with, if they don't perform when needed.
Berube can only ask the players to buy into his concept, it’s up to them to carry the load and do what’s necessary to win in the post season, something they have refused to do as of yet, so as much as I like the coaching change it’s still up to the core players stepping up and earning their paycheck……..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Easily, should have a huge impact.

Reactions: Roo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
.... which is the definition of "doing nothing". the coach isn't going to change the issue - flawed design.

The Leafs are a highly flawed, cap strapped team that did nothing because that's all they can do.

The overpaid core leaves no wiggle room to hope together a team with Cup potential.

Other than random chance, say 3%, this team is not improving enough to do anything different.

... if the goal is to construct a cup winning team. .... which it probably isnt.

Extending Marner would end all hope of this team winning anything. Just like acquiring JT was not the move this team needed, extending Marner will have the same effect - no money to build a balanced team.
Yes moving on from JT and Marner and spreading their cap throughout the line up (and hoping 34 and 88 can perform in the post season) fixes the cap issue and is the only way to success, but that doesn’t happen until next season uf Tre has the stones to do what’s necessary……..

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yes moving on from JT and Marner and spreading their cap throughout the line up (and hoping 34 and 88 can perform in the post season) fixes the cap issue and is the only way to success, but that doesn’t happen until next season uf Tre has the stones to do what’s necessary……..

Unfortunately, I think they will re-sign both Marner and JT. They will keep doing the same thing over and over again till the core ages out. I don't feel any optimism as a fan whatsoever. This cup drought will go 60, maybe 70 years or more. Who knows.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You underestimate the impact of a competent coaching staff. By definition, coaches are supposed to get the most out of their players. That hasn’t happened in Toronto with Keefe, to the point that fans unanimously wanted him out.

Systems, strategy, accountability, etc. matter. It can easily have the biggest impact on the team. In the end it will be this and our performance in goal that will determine our fate.

Reactions: weems and ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately, I think they will re-sign both Marner and JT. They will keep doing the same thing over and over again till the core ages out. I don't feel any optimism as a fan whatsoever. This cup drought will go 60, maybe 70 years or more. Who knows.
Completely agree, but the rose coloured glasses gang thinks this makes anyone who sees things as they are a Eeyore under a rain cloud, they refuse to accept some are smarter than the sheep and won’t drink the Kool Ade they’re shilling…….

You underestimate the impact of a competent coaching staff. By definition, coaches are supposed to get the most out of their players. That hasn’t happened in Toronto with Keefe, to the point that fans unanimously wanted him out.

Systems, strategy, accountability, etc. matter. It can easily have the biggest impact on the team. In the end it will be this and our performance in goal that will determine our fate.
People said the same thing when they fired Babcock, a coach can’t play for the players, they need to do the work, something so far they’ve been unwilling to do in the post season…,….

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
We dont have much cap space to pay people.

So, if you can't buy it retail, but you want something to eat -> dumpster dive.
No. This is an oversimplification.

Most of the best teams are close to the cap. Partly because they have good players and partly because players want to play on winning teams.

Columbus could shop at Whole Foods at the moment, but who's lining up to play for them?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’m by no means a fanboy of either Tre or Kyle. I’m a Leaf’s fan.

Kyle did some good things, but I think he also forgot about culture. He was focused on analytics, finding inefficiencies and focused on skill - even when the team had tons of skill. He quickly realized that he needed more grit and physicality. He did this through FA and trading.

The problem I have with this - is that this does not create a healthy hockey culture imo. Hired guns are not going to bleed blue and white. Why should they fight and block shots when the core group don’t.

That takes me to Tre. The single best thing he has done is draft Danford. Heart and soul guy. Does the dirty work. Blocks shots and plays tough. Cowan as well. When those home grown and drafted guys start to contribute - it signals to all players (FA’s and trade acquired players) what Leafs culture is.

Think Boston. They have an identity, they have a style of play. It’s a culture and they draft for culture.

We have a loooong way still to go on changing the culture and identity of our team. Liked a few baby steps I’ve seen with Tre.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Completely agree, but the rose coloured glasses gang thinks this makes anyone who sees things as they are a Eeyore under a rain cloud, they refuse to accept some are smarter than the sheep and won’t drink the Kool Ade they’re shilling…….

People said the same thing when they fired Babcock, a coach can’t play for the players, they need to do the work, something so far they’ve been unwilling to do in the post season…,….
You're absolutely right, they can't. But they are expected to get the most out of their players. Some players will fit the style the coach wants, some won't.

You don't even have to look outside our division to see this. Bringing in Maurice had a major impact on the Panthers. After losing Bergeron, Chara, etc., people thought the Bruins would decline. They didn't because they are a well-coached team. It took longer for Cooper in TB, but his team wasn't even a playoff team when he took over. Similar to us, they went through quite a few years of underachievement until they eventually got there.

Can't say Keefe ever outcoached any one of those guys. No guarantee Berube is the guy of course, but you can also go back many years to when Pat Quinn took over a non-playoff team and they went to the conference finals. Players obviously matter, but coaching is often the reason when a team under/over achieve based on the players on the roster.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You're absolutely right, they can't. But they are expected to get the most out of their players. Some players will fit the style the coach wants, some won't.

You don't even have to look outside our division to see this. Bringing in Maurice had a major impact on the Panthers. After losing Bergeron, Chara, etc., people thought the Bruins would decline. They didn't because they are a well-coached team. It took longer for Cooper in TB, but his team wasn't even a playoff team when he took over. Similar to us, they went through quite a few years of underachievement until they eventually got there.

Can't say Keefe ever outcoached any one of those guys. No guarantee Berube is the guy of course, but you can also go back many years to when Pat Quinn took over a non-playoff team and they went to the conference finals. Players obviously matter, but coaching is often the reason when a team under/over achieve based on the players on the roster.
Agreed, IF the players buy in and do the work……..

Reactions: Roo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Of course then we can afford to shop at the high end dumpster, get a few pricy 30's UFA's as replacements, and still depend on Nylander and Matthews to be playoff warriors.

If anyone has some belief that dumping Marner is suddenly going to make the others into winners, I have some bad news. Do we really think that it's just Marner dragging this team down, and getting rid of him, and adding a couple of $6 mil players is going to make all the difference?

Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Is Meh! Still a thing? Kinda not good and kinda not bad... just MEH!

Tanev goes down, which if you look at the way he plays that is a real possibility, who moves up to play with Rielly? This team even with all the additions is not significantly better or worse on ice, I think the wild card is Berube... some coaches get more with the same cast of characters, look at what the Knoblaugh change in Edmonton did for that roster. Rumors were that McJesus was injured to start the season but somehow he miraculously healed when the old guy was turfed. NFL and NHL are the two sports that have the most influence from the Head Coach (IMO).

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad