Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
How about at yhe very least stop dugar coating the turd, that would be the honest thing to do……..
Ah but that's not a re run in disguise. The truth is, the changes needed to win weren't there. We finally get rid of the Tavares contract to pick up the Tanev one. Everyone else didn't want to come here.

Reactions: rumman

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He likes getting injured, just ask Canuck fans. They didn't see him play much either.
The problem with Tanev is the only real thing that makes him effective, is the same thing that sees him getting hurt. He's a warrior who will literally use his face to stop the puck and even if he doesn't miss a game, he's almost always nursing something and it takes its toll.

I wanted him back in Vancouver until the playoffs where his age and toll on his body started to show.

I'm not sure he can be used against teams top lines anymore, he's definitely lost a step but I think overall he's still a top four guy.

The real head scratcher is OEL. He sucked the last few years in Arizona and sucked in Vancouver after a decent start. Same thing happened in Florida and it's not like he was ever known for his two-way game.
He needs to put up points otherwise he will actively hurt the team, he's just another guy that lost a step .

Reactions: darrylsittler27

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The problem with Tanev is the only real thing that makes him effective, is the same thing that sees him getting hurt. He's a warrior who will literally use his face to stop the puck and even if he doesn't miss a game, he's almost always nursing something and it takes its toll.

I wanted him back in Vancouver until the playoffs where his age and toll on his body started to show.

I'm not sure he can be used against teams top lines anymore, he's definitely lost a step but I think overall he's still a top four guy.

The real head scratcher is OEL. He sucked the last few years in Arizona and sucked in Vancouver after a decent start. Same thing happened in Florida and it's not like he was ever known for his two-way game.
He needs to put up points otherwise he will actively hurt the team, he's just another guy that lost a step .
OEL didn't suck in Florida at any point, not sure where that idea came from. He was very steady throughout the year and stepped up in absence of other D who went down with injuries.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Probably because Dekes and Notbias use the term scoring in a chameleon type fashion. When you say scoring (and mean goals) they take it to mean points which are not equal and they know it...but it lets them argue their point that Mitchy is the cats meow.
I wasn't even part of this, but everybody (including the NHL) uses 'scoring' in reference to both points and goals. It depends on the context that the word is used in. I understood it to mean goals this time, as the statement wouldn't be true otherwise, but in this type of context, most people discuss points, as the more representative metric. Goals tend to be isolated when one wishes to prop up a goal scorer relative to a playmaker.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
OEL didn't suck in Florida at any point, not sure where that idea came from. He was very steady throughout the year and stepped up in absence of other D who went down with injuries.

OEL was also brought in for his ability to move the puck and offensive contributions.
This past season and in the playoffs, the most common complaint about our roster was the fact that our blueline wasn't good at generating much offense or moving the puck out of the defensive zone. This leads to signing a guy with some of these skills but with that you're also sometimes going to get a guy who's not exactly a defensive force and will make some mistakes. OEL will certainly produce offensively and help in areas like puck movement and PP but will also be a player that will frustrate defensively on occasion.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Sure, but If I ask Calgary fans, they have seen him play a lot.
Dallas fans too. But these are more recent and relevant examples that go against the narrative that our management must suck because we only sign injured and old guys.

Many of these same posters feel we should have signed Stamkos even though he is the same age, has similar injury history and concerns, but for much more money to fill a need we don't really have, or isn't as strong.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
OEL was also brought in for his ability to move the puck and offensive contributions.
This past season and in the playoffs, the most common complaint about our roster was the fact that our blueline wasn't good at generating much offense or moving the puck out of the defensive zone. This leads to signing a guy with some of these skills but with that you're also sometimes going to get a guy who's not exactly a defensive force and will make some mistakes. OEL will certainly produce offensively and help in areas like puck movement and PP but will also be a player that will frustrate defensively on occasion.
OEL is definitely not perfect defensively and has his warts, but the way the dude was describing him made him sound like a pylon which is far from the truth. He was a steady presence for Florida and did well as a 4/5, which is what we've brought him in to be as well. Sam Bennett even did a recent interview where he said that OEL was a rock for them and he was surprised at just how reliable he was.

Reactions: weems

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
OEL is definitely not perfect defensively and has his warts, but the way the dude was describing him made him sound like a pylon which is far from the truth. He was a steady presence for Florida and did well as a 4/5, which is what we've brought him in to be as well. Sam Bennett even did a recent interview where he said that OEL was a rock for them and he was surprised at just how reliable he was.

He was a #5 who had the lowest D zone starts by a large margin, he was sheltered.

Having said that, he did really well in those minutes, so maybe there is top 4 upside there.

He is far from a pylon and is the most intriguing of the players signed because there is a lot of potential and there is a possibility he can play further up the lineup than we expected.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I wasn't even part of this, but everybody (including the NHL) uses 'scoring' in reference to both points and goals. It depends on the context that the word is used in. I understood it to mean goals this time, as the statement wouldn't be true otherwise, but in this type of context, most people discuss points, as the more representative metric. Goals tend to be isolated when one wishes to prop up a goal scorer relative to a playmaker.
When talking about a game the previous evening and someone asks me who scored...I don't think of assists.

Reactions: myleafs and rumman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When talking about a game the previous evening and someone asks me who scored...I don't think of assists.
Yes, that is one of the contexts where one would assume goals, though not what happened here. In other contexts, one would assume points. It can mean both in NHL terminology.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Being injury-prone is a mindset. Many "warriors" out there don't have band-aid careers. I can't stand players made of glass.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Being injury-prone is a mindset. Many "warriors" out there don't have band-aid careers. I can't stand players made of glass.
I had a world class rugby coach once tell me that frequent injuries was mostly related to conditioning.

At any rate, I don't think you can mentally warrior yourself out of an injury, and many warriors are also broken all the time, and have short careers.

Certainly some people can absorb more abuse than others though. In hockey it's a very big plus if you do that well.

Reactions: William Johnson

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I had a world class rugby coach once tell me that frequent injuries was mostly related to conditioning.

At any rate, I don't think you can mentally warrior yourself out of an injury, and many warriors are also broken all the time, and have short careers.

Certainly some people can absorb more abuse than others though. In hockey it's a very big plus if you do that well.

Your rugby coach sounds like a true man's man.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I can't stand players made of glass.
Glass is fragile. No wonder they are injury prone.
:sarcasm:

Tre has one job: with 2 levels:

God Tier: trade Marner and get something back.

GM of the year: Trade Marner.

Fired: Sign Marner.

Reactions: rumman

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One positive, Tre is rebuilding our defense. It's better than it has been since we started this build with some good prospects in the chain. Danford, Johannsson, Chadwick, Niemela,Webber etc.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Pacioretty, Tanev, OEL, Murray, Hakanpaa.

I guess Treliving plans on making judicious use of LTIR this year. I can't be the only one concerned everyone he signed is on the wrong side of thirty and made of glass am I. This is on top of such stalwarts as Robertson and Woll.

Every year the fans point out the lack of depth.

And every spring the team uses injuries as an excuse. Some fans would get fed up with watching this unfold year after year and tell the team to stuff it. Other fans like myself live for this crap.

Watching this team make mistake after glorious mistake is a lot more amusing than some might think.

All I see is a GM who's bad at his job. Because he keeps signing over the hill broken down journeymen well past their best before dates (among a whole host of other mistakes). Others look at this and say it's not his fault when half the roster is on LTIR come playoffs.

Nobody can predict injuries happening.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Pacioretty, Tanev, OEL, Murray, Hakanpaa.

I guess Treliving plans on making judicious use of LTIR this year. I can't be the only one concerned everyone he signed is on the wrong side of thirty and made of glass am I. This is on top of such stalwarts as Robertson and Woll.

Every year the fans point out the lack of depth.

And every spring the team uses injuries as an excuse. Some fans would get fed up with watching this unfold year after year and tell the team to stuff it. Other fans like myself live for this crap.

Watching this team make mistake after glorious mistake is a lot more amusing than some might think.

All I see is a GM who's bad at his job. Because he keeps signing over the hill broken down journeymen well past their best before dates (among a whole host of other mistakes). Others look at this and say it's not his fault when half the roster is on LTIR come playoffs.

Nobody can predict injuries happening.
Murray and Pacioretty are "who cares" type signings. No risk at all Tanev and OEL were great signings, despite their ages. Hakanpaa I have no idea. He was a workhorse before the knee injury, but he probably carries the most "risk" of all of them, and even that is basically nothing given the low salary and one year deal.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad