Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That was really my point. Aside from the fact that he overpaid Willy (largely because he kind of had to pay him more than Dubas had overpaid Mitch and JT), it looks like he realized he can only keep two of the four, and picked the better two.

I wouldn't mind JT at 4, but not for more than a couple of years at most. I don't think there's any way we can afford Mitch at what he'll want.
I would JT at 4 years * $3M. The rising cap, he will be effective still and he has earned it. It's a good number.

I would give Marner 8 x $11.5M right now without full NMC or wait until after the playoffs to talk contract and be prepared to let him walk.

I agree with everything said on this thread.
But in the first handful of games each season before teams have settled in, strange things tend to happen.
Bad teams look good and vice versa.
Bad players look good and good players look bad.
So we don’t know what this team is yet.
True, we used to be a good team looking bad in October. This is a nice change though and another sign that things might be different.

Team is better and the system is better. Given up 5 goals in 3 games. Keep that up and we’re going to win a shit load of games
...and all without our number 1 or number 4 goalies healthy yet.

Reactions: Zacman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Keep them at the right price or replace them with guys like Cowan, Minten, and Grebenkin.
I’m hoping for some roster stability if possible, having half your roster flip every year isn’t a good formula for success imo. This team needs to identify as more than the core and fill in players to be replaced each year………

That was really my point. Aside from the fact that he overpaid Willy (largely because he kind of had to pay him more than Dubas had overpaid Mitch and JT), it looks like he realized he can only keep two of the four, and picked the better two.

I wouldn't mind JT at 4, but not for more than a couple of years at most. I don't think there's any way we can afford Mitch at what he'll want.
Tre should have waited until the offseason to resign Styles, if he walked you could focus 9n keeping Marner if his asked wasn’t insane which it probably will be. I agree 4 mil for a couple of years is good for JT, but he’ll get better offers elsewhere which is fine imo…….

Reactions: Zacman

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It’s early, but it seems pretty obvious this D core might be the best we’ve seen this era.
By a long shot. It’s not even close tbh. It is honestly so refreshing to see guys like OEL and Tanev play their position properly. No f***ing around, no panic. Just high IQ play from the back end. God we’ve needed this for the longest time. It’s also nice to see OEL actually shoot the puck from the blue line. How many years have we had to watch muffins from Rielly lol we have a legit bomb threat from the point now.

It’s only been 3 games but I really underappreciated how good OEL is. He’s a hell of a player

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Exactly, they need to move on from JT and Marner simply because that cap needs to be spent elsewhere, my biggest fear is Pizza Boy signs one or both mid season like he did when he ridiculously overpaid Styles. They’ll need money to sign Knies, Lorentz, Robertson et al, to long term deals and start fixing the D which looks great so far, but is aging fast. Thankfully Berube hockey isn’t dependent on flash and dash players, it needs blue collar grinders who can play 200 foot playoff hockey game in and game out…….
The cap is going up another five or six million next year, JT and MM come off for $22M, we can absolutely move on from Lilly, Kampf, and Jarnkrok and that's another $8M, this gives us $35M to spend

JT - $3M
MM - $12M
Knies raise - $4M
Woll raise - $2.5M
Robertson raise - $2M
Lorentz raise - $1M
McCabe raise - $3M

...that still leaves us about $8M to spend. If we move on from both JT and Marner is gives us $23M to spend. We might be better off with those two and $8M than $23M to spend. We also have to allow room for Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin, Niemela and eventually Hildeby.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I would JT at 4 years * $3M. The rising cap, he will be effective still and he has earned it. It's a good number.

I would give Marner 8 x $11.5M right now without full NMC or wait until after the playoffs to talk contract and be prepared to let him walk.

True, we used to be a good team looking bad in October. This is a nice change though and another sign that things might be different.

...and all without our number 1 or number 4 goalies healthy yet.
Stolarz is our number 1 right now even when Woll gets healthy. He’s been tremendous so far

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Need cap space for that, Lorentz will be in for a huge pay raise if he keeps up with his play all season, ditto for Robertson……..
So far so good with Lorentz, we’ve been waiting for a guy like him for years, I hope they don’t let him walk away.

I see him being a menace in the playoffs and will a get a few good licks on the D.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Based on last year and so far this year, I'm not sure he'll still be effective, but at $3 per I would be fine with a third year and maybe a fourth.

I certainly wouldn't give Mitch any more than his current overpayment before he shows a lot more in the playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tre should have waited until the offseason to resign Styles, if he walked you could focus 9n keeping Marner if his asked wasn’t insane which it probably will be. I agree 4 mil for a couple of years is good for JT, but he’ll get better offers elsewhere which is fine imo…….
I think that's where Tre made the decision.

Let Willy walk and face a higher ask (even more so if Willy's gone) from Mitch, or sign Willy and see what happens with Mitch.

Can you imagine if he let Willy walk and the Mitch says "$14 or I walk and you have no RW"?

Even if you don't accept that Willy is likely the better one to keep, the timing of the contracts made signing him the logical choice.

Reactions: Chindis

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Stolarz is our number 1 right now even when Woll gets healthy. He’s been tremendous so far
Yup, Woll will have to win back the number one spot if he’s ever healthy enough to put a string of games together………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Let Willy walk and face a higher ask (even more so if Willy's gone) from Mitch, or sign Willy and see what happens with Mitch.

Can you imagine if he let Willy walk and the Mitch says "$14 or I walk and you have no RW"?

Even if you don't accept that Willy is likely the better one to keep, the timing of the contracts made signing him the logical choice.
Then you have way more money to sign other players, Mitch won’t accept a pay cut, but the reality is that’s what should happen since he was overpaid on his current deal. Lets face it if he was making 8-9 mil no one would be complaining, but at 11.5 he’s just not worth it or anything more which is why he’s gotta go imo………

And I hate that Styles got overpaid too……..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Signing Willy makes sense. The number is where most people question it.Felt like we inked him at his peak value rather than waiting longer or handling it earlier.

On Tre overall, I didn't like much of what we did last year. Bert really underperformed, Domi struggles to find his fit and Kling was a disaster. This year seems to be the opposite. D additions look exactly as advertised, Stolarz has been solid and Lorentz fits the 4th line.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Then you have way more money to sign other players, Mitch won’t accept a pay cut, but the reality is that’s what should happen since he was overpaid on his current deal. Lets face it if he was making 8-9 mil no one would be complaining, but at 11.5 he’s just not worth it or anything more which is why he’s gotta go imo………

And I hate that Styles got overpaid too……..
Agreed here.

Nylander should have gotten a similar deal to Timo Meier, and Marner should be very close to that as well.

Both contracts are pooches, but we can at least move away from overpaying Marner for many years and continue to invest in balancing out the team.

We can already see the value of spending on defence, and we going to need to improve at Centre.

This is where money needs to be spent.

We’ve already seen that our winger depth can deliver. I already have more faith in Lorentz in the playoffs than Marner. :)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Signing Willy makes sense. The number is where most people question it.Felt like we inked him at his peak value rather than waiting longer or handling it earlier.

On Tre overall, I didn't like much of what we did last year. Bert really underperformed, Domi struggles to find his fit and Kling was a disaster. This year seems to be the opposite. D additions look exactly as advertised, Stolarz has been solid and Lorentz fits the 4th line.
My understanding is that was his figure all along. Yes, he's overpaid, but if you have JT and Mitch each making $11M, what do you do?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
My understanding is that was his figure all along. Yes, he's overpaid, but if you have JT and Mitch each making $11M, what do you do?
You pay him a fair number. People need to get over this concept that one specific deal completely throws out all other comparables. If that was the case we'd all be waiting for JT to resign at 11M because it's what he got last time.

Nylander a figures have usually come in high. Its why his RFA deal took so long.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You pay him a fair number. People need to get over this concept that one specific deal completely throws out all other comparables. If that was the case we'd all be waiting for JT to resign at 11M because it's what he got last time.

Nylander a figures have usually come in high. Its why his RFA deal took so long.
The difference with JT is that he was overpaid for what we needed, and is a lesser player now.

I'm not sure Willy at $7 six years ago was so high. I agree Willy is overpaid, but him at $11.5 is a lot less of an overpayment than Mitch at $11 six years ago.

And again, I think Tre was in a bit of a bind because if he didn't sign Willy for $11.5 he likely would have been stuck paying Mitch appreciably more, or losing both for nothing.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The difference with JT is that he was overpaid for what we needed, and is a lesser player now.

I'm not sure Willy at $7 six years ago was so high. I agree Willy is overpaid, but him at $11.5 is a lot less of an overpayment than Mitch at $11 six years ago.

And again, I think Tre was in a bit of a bind because if he didn't sign Willy for $11.5 he likely would have been stuck paying Mitch appreciably more, or losing both for nothing.
You're throwing a lot of noise at this issue.

Your GM has to be capable. A bad deal out of fear is pretty damning.

Reactions: ACC1224

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
To move from Kyle Dubas to Brad Treliving is such a blessing. It's like Christmas and your Birthday all rolled into one.

Those poor Pens fans are seeing what happens when you hire Kyle.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't get this Dubist slow criticism either? We have plenty of speed up and down the lineup, the D isn't any slower. Seems a lame critique.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's gonna take more time to give him a proper review and see the full impact of his moves, but I do feel like at the very least he has a much better read on defense and goaltending than Dubas ever did. In Calgary as well he built a good D and went out and got Markstrom to shore up the goaltending. Given this franchise's inability to develop good d-men and historically having weaker defensive teams, along with a lack of reliable goaltending in two decades outside of Andersen, this is refreshing to see.

I consider this season to be the first where he is really trying to make his mark, as last year he came into a bit of a volatile situation where he didn't have much time to work with and used it as an assessment year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad