Hakanpää signing

Bad:
OEL
Liljegren contract
Kampf contract

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

GM Brad Treliving doesn’t just like size, he loves it. Since coming to Toronto, he has added a 6-foot-6 goaltender in Anthony Stolarz, a 6-foot-5 defenceman in Phillippe Myers, two 6-foot-4 competitors in Simon Benoit and Steven Lorentz, three 6-foot-2 difference makers in Chris Tanev, Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Max Pacioretty. There is no half court championship in the NHL but if there was, the Leafs would probably lead in rebounding.

Without a whole lot of cap flexibility, Treliving has altered his roster by 40 percent in one calendar year. Eight of 20 players who dressed on opening night last year are no longer with the team. This isn’t exactly his team, yet. But it’s a lot closer to his vision than the team he started with a year ago.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

rutz

Aug 1, 2022
There was no way Treliving was moving Marner or Tavares last year. It wasn't happening. It all but confirmed by Shanny before he hired Tre and there was not enough time for Tre anyway. Those NMCs are not on him.

This team is quite different from the one Tre inherited. This team has depth and balance that we have not seen in the Matthews era. We have a new coach and a new captain.

We have the core four and a stronger supporting cast of forwards than we have had.

Our D has Liljegren as seven now and possibly movable now. Tanev, Benoit, OEL, Hakanpaa and Myers are nice adds.

Strong goaltending depth too.

We could move out Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren for picks and space without really missing them because have depth and balance.

We are in a strong spot, no?
So many Leafs fans say we can trade this player and this player but honest question which team would actually want to take on these terrible contracts of Reaves,Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren?

rutz

Aug 1, 2022
The Blues had a great team with size, skill, some speed, and leadership. His resume doesn’t suggest he can win big when he has a roster like the Leafs.

That doesn’t mean they can’t make the playoffs and win a round.
Leafs win Stanley Cup or bust with the talent of this team. Any other result is a failure at this point with the Core of the team in their prime.

He had pietrangelo... It was the only upgrade they really had...

the day pietrangelo left, thats when stl start to struggling
And the Leafs have never had a true stud #1 defenceman of this caliber since this Core 4 have been together.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
So many Leafs fans say we can trade this player and this player but honest question which team would actually want to take on these terrible contracts of Reaves,Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren?

I don't think anyone takes Reaves. We can waive him and no one takes him. This roster flexibility is actually value he brings.

I think the others all have value. We won't get a lot for them, but I don't think they are dumps.

Lots of teams will take a chance on a 25 year old, RHD with 200 games experience, and decent results at only $3M for the next two years. He was a regular on one of the best teams in the league as a youngster.

Jarnkrok is a swiss army knife and his contract is not bad. He would be great on a team like Ottawa or maybe Columbus where they want veteran professionals.

Kampf could be trickier because he is overpaid by about $700K. Ther should be a taker for him.

The easy move for the Leafs would have been to waive these guys but they obviously feel there is value there and probably have a better read on the market than we have.

We also probably need to move out two of these three to get th cap flexibility we need.

rutz

Aug 1, 2022
I hate this narrative and feel the need to speak up.

Going into 18-19, they were not expected to be a bad team. Most people listed them right around the top 4-6 area, with the composition being a bit of an unknown due to so much roster turnover. They performed poorly because Mike Yeo did not know how to utilize the players he had. Their defensive scheme shifted from zone to man-to-man, which caused them to struggle mightily. Jake Allen also could never make the jump to full time and had a penchant for choking.

They also were never in last place by points percentage. They had multiple games in hand.

Binnington was a key component, but he was not the sole reason they won. He was lights out in the regular season. In the playoffs, Binnington was outplayed by Ben Bishop and Pekka Rinne. He played about even with Hellebuyck, and he outplayed Martin Jones. His save percentage was .914. He was good, but he had awful games and poor outings. You are not giving the Blues team the credit it deserves. They overcome much adversity, including an objectively blown call with the Sharks' hand-pass in overtime. That put them down in the series.

I credit Berube almost entirely for overcoming that hand-pass. Many of the Blues players were livid. Schenn broke his stick on the glass screaming at the refs. It would be worth your time to watch Berube's post-game comments to the press. He was calm. He didn't complain about the missed call. He said they were moving on, not one ounce of entitlement.

The other thing I strongly remember from that series was the camera shot of the San Jose bench a couple of games later. There were large visible gaps due to all of the Sharks' players in the locker room or out injured. The Blues pummeled the hell out of them with legal hits and aggressive play. They never let up.

I would say the Leafs current roster has a better top 6 for sure, at least in totality. It's hard to not recognize that O'Reilly won the Con Smythe though. I'd rather have someone who puts in that level of performance over someone with more skill on paper.

I would say in every other category but the top 6, the Blues team was likely better. Their third and fourth lines were excellent. Very underrated. Steen may have been one of the best 4th liners on any team in the playoffs at the time.

I would say the Blues defense was better. Everyone knows Petro, but many would say Bouwmeester was the Blues best defenseman during the playoffs. He brought out Parayko's best play, and they were our best pairing that shut teams down.

I'd also say Binnington, at that specific moment, was a better goalie than Woll likely is right now. That's hard to say though as Woll is a good goalie and could continue to play very well. I would not be surprised if Woll ends up with better career stats.

I think this is a solid Leafs team. I think it certainly is good enough to win the cup. You need some luck no matter how good you are. I think Berube could bring out the best in some of your players and I'm eager to see how the team performs under him. He's a solid coach.
I still am not confident this Leafs team is big enough and tough enough to win in the playoffs. Time will tell, again.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He also has had a smaller cap space to work with. Give him one more off season of cap flexibility and we can then judge better on what he does with that space

He has spent over $50 million in cap, there could have been a lot of change in the team if he wanted to, he just didn't want to.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Treliving inherited a 100+ point per season without any luck involved team.

It was worse season in the past 3, after he took over.

Unless these recent changes send the Leafs top of the league, minimum win the conference, it's just more of the same.

Winning the playoffs is the measuring stick that matters.

Style of play means bugger all if they don't win in the playoffs.

Lose fast and free, or lose tight and defensive is still losing.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
How can people judge the OEL signing without him playing a regular season game for the team? Give it 20 games before he slots in as bad

He may play above that contract price under a new system/ coach

Reactions: hockeywiz542

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I wouldn't say 'terrible', but certainly overpaid and hard to get a decent return for, and you can add Marner and Tavares to that list.

But we're not the only team with bad contracts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving inherited a 100+ point per season without any luck involved team.

It was worse season in the past 3, after he took over.

Unless these recent changes send the Leafs top of the league, minimum win the conference, it's just more of the same.

Winning the playoffs is the measuring stick that matters.

Style of play means bugger all if they don't win in the playoffs.

Lose fast and free, or lose tight and defensive is still losing.
Take into account with the raises to Auston and Willy and the current contracts of Tavares and Marner all on the books together the Leafs are going to be in the WORST Cap Hell :madfire::madfire: Top Heavy spending team like never seen before in a Salary Cap Era by any team. With Leafs already among the least successful playoff teams in the Salary Cap era with 1 single playoff win over 20 years of Salary cap existence since 2004.

Leafs have 4 of the top 12 highest AAV contracts in the entire league where 31 other teams split the other 8 top contracts.

1728404725137.png

With Leafs Salaries at $46,653,000 combined core 4 of a $88,000,000 mil max Salary Cap = 53 % usage. :pullhair::eek2:

This team has the least amount of cap space available for "DEPTH" using 47% of its cap balance on 9 additional Forwards & 7 Dman & 2 Goalies for its 22 man roster.

This is a fragile house of cards that depending on injuries and health outcomes, and to whom, could see this all come crashing down hard. o_O.

** Think of this from the perspective of just a single $11 mil player missing a single game replaced by a $1 mil replacement forces the Leafs to play $10 below the salary Cap ceiling. ** [Rinse and repeat for longer injuries or even multiples of core 4 missing a game].

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Take into account with the raises to Auston and Willy and the current contracts of Tavares and Marner all on the books together the Leafs are going to be in the WORST Cap Hell :madfire::madfire: Top Heavy spending team like never seen before in a Salary Cap Era by any team. With Leafs already among the least successful playoff teams in the Salary Cap era with 1 single playoff win over 20 years of Salary cap existence since 2004.

Leafs have 4 of the top 12 highest AAV contracts in the entire league where 31 other teams split the other 8 top contracts.

View attachment 913494

With Leafs Salaries at $46,653,000 combined core 4 of a $88,000,000 mil max Salary Cap = 53 % usage. :pullhair::eek2:

This team has the least amount of cap space available for "DEPTH" using 47% of its cap balance on 9 additional Forwards & 7 Dman & 2 Goalies for its 22 man roster.

This is a fragile house of cards that depending on injuries and health outcomes, and to whom, could see this all come crashing down hard. o_O.

** Think of this from the perspective of just a single $11 mil player missing a single game replaced by a $1 mil replacement forces the Leafs to play $10 below the salary Cap ceiling. ** [Rinse and repeat for longer injuries or even multiples of core 4 missing a game].
Yet we’re looking fine going into the season. And Tavares comes off this list next year. It’s not doom and gloom.

Reactions: mclaren55

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's never too soon to complain, get ahead of the curve.

Dude I don't care about 2028, I'm focused on THIS season.

And THIS season Riell, Tanev, OEL McCabe is the best their top 4 has been in 25 years, I know that because I've seen nearly every game for 25 years.

Sure I'd like to see another piece added that bumps OEL to the 3rd pair because if you can do that You're set.

But in terms of a season opening top 4 assuming McCabe is good to go It's solid.

If Woll and Stolarz can play like they did in the pre season the back end is set.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dude I don't care about 2028, I'm focused on THIS season.

And THIS season Riell, Tanev, OEL McCabe is the best their top 4 has been in 25 years, I know that because I've seen nearly every game for 25 years.

Sure I'd like to see another piece added that bumps OEL to the 3rd pair because if you can do that You're set.

But in terms of a season opening top 4 assuming McCabe is good to go It's solid.

If Woll and Stolarz can play like they did in the pre season the back end is set.

Perhaps what has to happen is some yout step up and take a top 4 position.

Isn't that the crux, have they developed / drafted / signed some young player who is capable of being a top 4?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not saying he’s doing a great job or terrible job, but I note the season predictions coming in all seem to have us higher than previous years. Athletic for example has us coming out of the East. Nobody I’ve read has us lower than second in the Atlantic. People see something anyways, but that’s on paper so…
It all comes down to injuries and how the goalies perform……..

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

View attachment 913494

That is somewhat skewed by the fact that two of them are two of the newest contracts (and Nylander wasn't anywhere close to top 10 previously). The other two are leftovers from the previous GM, and we're stuck with them for this year. By this time next year one of them will be signed for much less (if at all), and the other will (hopefully) be signed by another team. Even if there aren't enough new contracts to push Nylander out of the top 10, it will then be a matter of two (of the best players in the league) in the top ten.

I agree that injuries can be a potential problem, but the top three Leafs on that list have missed 20, 4, and 7 games respectively over the last three years (regular season and playoffs) for a total of 31 out of 813 games.

Yes, the salary situation is ugly, but (hopefully) for only one final year of the Dubas disaster.

Reactions: William Johnson

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Good:
Domi re-signing
Stolarz signing
Tanev signing
Matthews resigning
Nylander resigning
McMann resigning
Pacioretty signing
Robertson resigning