Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Simply not enough time to grade Tre yet. Anyone thinking he had time to trade Marner is a moron, you can’t just step in and make a move like that. This off-season will be telling, than it’s fair to judge him.

Anything he did in Calgary is irrelevant. Different team, different situation. Calgary is the wasteland of the NHL, no one wants to play there
That's quite the double-standard.

Posters here were judging Dubas before he even started, and then much more so after his first year on the job.

Even now that he is gone, one of the most common epithets is that he inherited a 105-point team and turned it into a 100-point team in his first year.

There seemed to be more than enough time to cast judgments then.

I think it just depends on whether you've taken a shine to one person or another.

Frankly, I don't mind any of Lamoriello, Dubas, or Treliving. I think they are all quite capable GM's, and I don't really care for comparisons between them.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
Most bush league GM this organization has ever hired. Shanahan was just desperate to pick a fall guy and it was Dubas.

FYI - Calgary fans celebrating when Treliving left.

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Posters here were judging Dubas before he even started, and then much more so after his first year on the job.

Even now that he is gone, one of the most common epithets is that he inherited a 105-point team and turned it into a 100-point team in his first year.

I think it just depends on whether you've taken a shine to one person or another.

Frankly, I don't mind any of Lamoriello, Dubas, or Treliving. I think they are all quite capable GM's, and I don't really care for comparisons between them.

the hole that dubas put the leafs in is so deep and cavernous that you need to give NewGM at least 5 years to get out of it before you can judge him. perhaps ten years.

Reactions: NastyKnies

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Most bush league GM this organization has ever hired. Shanahan was just desperate to pick a fall guy and it was Dubas.

FYI - Calgary fans celebrating when Treliving left.
You might be overlooking Gerry McNamara, and maybe Gord Stellick as well?

Punch Imlach the second time around was a real pill to swallow, too. I'm sure there were others.

the hole that dubas put the leafs in is so deep and cavernous that you need to give NewGM at least 5 years to get out of it before you can judge him. perhaps ten years.
Suit yourself.

I don't think MLSE ownership will wait that long. Leafs Nation is restless when even homers like me are unhappy.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You might be overlooking Gerry McNamara, and maybe Gord Stellick as well?

Punch Imlach the second time around was a real pill to swallow, too. I'm sure there were others.

Suit yourself.

I don't think MLSE ownership will wait that long. Leafs Nation is restless when even homers like me are unhappy.

but but but doobass, he was evil, his spectacles and spreadsheets, a witch in disguise, will take decades to ritually cleanse the team

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Treliving has been pretty bad so far. The Nylander contract is on par with the Huberdeau deal.

The Benoit/McMann deals are a step in the right direction but he needs some big wins.

I’d love to see him get canned but I don’t see it happening.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Treliving has been pretty bad so far. The Nylander contract is on par with the Huberdeau deal.

The Benoit/McMann deals are a step in the right direction but he needs some big wins.

The last Nylander contract seemed horrendous at the time, but it turned out to be pretty fair value for the Leafs.

I have a hunch this one will be alright as well.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Their incompetence has given me more entertainment over the years than if they had won.

This is the best time ever to be a Leafs fan. Treliving did such a great job. The results under him have been nothing but amazing.

I wonder if he can give himself a raise.

Everyone else got one. Brad deserves one too. Fans think he's been doing a great job.

Hands up everyone and give Brad your vote of confidence.

I'm busting with confidence myself. Confident this team is gonna choke again. Only this time in the first round and in less than seven games.

Keep up the great work Brad.

#GMofTheYear
#TrelivingIsDoingAGreatJob

Reactions: saffronleaf

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Some reserved judgment on Dubas and 5 years later it’s safe to say, he was a failure. Let’s give Tre some rope and see what he does

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Their incompetence has given me more entertainment over the years than if they had won.

This is the best time ever to be a Leafs fan. Treliving did such a great job. The results under him have been nothing but amazing.

I wonder if he can give himself a raise.

Everyone else got one. Brad deserves one too. Fans think he's been doing a great job.

Hands up everyone and give Brad your vote of confidence.

I'm busting with confidence myself. Confident this team is gonna choke again. Only this time in the first round and in less than seven games.

Keep up the great work Brad.

#GMofTheYear
#TrelivingIsDoingAGreatJob

it is taboo to judge newGM in his first year but if you could judge him it's clear that he has passed all the tests with flying colors

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The last Nylander contract seemed horrendous at the time, but it turned out to be pretty fair value for the Leafs.

I have a hunch this one will be alright as well.
Big difference is the last one expired during his age 27 season. This one expires at 35.

He also wasn't the 5th highest paid player in the league when he signed his last deal.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
it is taboo to judge newGM in his first year but if you could judge him it's clear that he has passed all the tests with flying colors
If the test is outperforming his predecessor then yes. If the test was being a top 5 GM in the league, which MLSE should be able to pay for every season, I would say he did not pass that test.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Some reserved judgment on Dubas and 5 years later it’s safe to say, he was a failure. Let’s give Tre some rope and see what he does
I think the people who were using derogatory names, making fun of his glasses and his appearance, denigrating his education at Brock University, accusing him of carrying himself as though he were the smartest person in the room, and criticizing him for being too young and inexperienced pretty much started that right off the bat. I thought they were very badly judgmental from the start, not based on his performance.

Dubas made some good moves and some horrendous errors, just like most other hockey executives. I would prefer a bit more balance in reviewing his record, and a lot less vitriol and name-calling.

Personally, I think the people who resort to the name-calling and exaggerated criticisms look very foolish. Dubas wasn't all good, nor all bad for the Leafs.

Neither was Lou, and neither is Treliving.

Reactions: aingefan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I think GM don’t need big wins, they just need a whole bunch of small wins and eventually it will add up to winning big.
Dubas looked for the big win all the time. JT signing to prove that he can play ball in the big league. Then giving out blank cheques to Willie, AM and MM bc he doesn’t want people to think he can’t do it.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Next President should hire his own GM but in the spirit of doing things ass-backward the Leafs will retain Treliving.

Reactions: Ciao

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well yes. I like him and his philosophy- therefore he did as good of job as could possibly have been done. Win or lose, better or worse than the year before... nothing more could been have expected. Either way I'm right and doobler dumbadd (my very clever and original name for the guy before) was awful.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think GM don’t need big wins, they just need a whole bunch of small wins and eventually it will add up to winning big.
Dubas looked for the big win all the time. JT signing to prove that he can play ball in the big league. Then giving out blank cheques to Willie, AM and MM bc he doesn’t want people to think he can’t do it.
Depends how you quantify a big win.

Bill Zito turned Florida around pretty quickly with a series of small wins but also landed some big wins in Verhaeghe, Forsling, Montour, Reinhart and Tkachuk which have been catalysts for their success.

Colorado needed big wins with Toews, Kadri and Nichushkin to push them over the top.

VGK have had a ton of big wins that lead to their cup (Pietrangelo, Stone, Stephenson, the whole expansion draft)

TBL had a big win with McDonagh that pushed them over the top to win their cups.

Treliving has had small wins with the Benoit, McMann and Domi contracts. That's overshadowed by a monumental loss on the Nylander contract. It's yet to be seen how he navigates this off-season with Marner and Tavares.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Next President should hire his own GM but in the spirit of doing things ass-backward the Leafs will retain Treliving.
Nothing against Treliving, but Shanahan's time is up and his successor should be able to make his own moves.

MLSE could keep Treliving and Keefe on for the time being, if it is understood that they are expendable if and when the new President chooses his own GM, who should then choose his own coach, who should choose his own assistants. There needs to be a better ordering of events. Everything should go in sequence.

If they fire the whole lot of them, then the hiring should start at the top and work its way down. Given the upcoming draft and buyout and free agency periods, it's probably not the best time to be without a GM for too long.

Bill Zito turned Florida around pretty quickly with a series of small wins but also landed some big wins in Verhaeghe, Forsling, Montour, Reinhart and Tkachuk which have been catalysts for their success.

Colorado needed big wins with Toews, Kadri and Nichushkin to push them over the top.

VGK have had a ton of big wins that lead to their cup (Pietrangelo, Stone, Stephenson, the whole expansion draft)

TBL had a big win with McDonagh that pushed them over the top to win their cups.

Treliving has had small wins with the Benoit, McMann and Domi contracts. That's overshadowed by a monumental loss on the Nylander contract. It's yet to be seen how he navigates this off-season with Marner and Tavares.
Monumental loss on the Nylander contract?

It hasn't even started.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
We haven't had a real GM since Conn Smythe.
Now, come on. You aren't into the Crown Royal, are you?

Jim Gregory and Pat Quinn were both pretty good GM's.

As much as a couldn't stand Punch Imlach, his first tenure as Leafs GM brought home their last four Stanley Cups, but that was before the dementia set in.

Are you expecting him to be a top 5 forward in the league going forward?
Are you expecting that more contracts won't exceed his cap hit going forward?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Cliff Fletcher had a big win with the Doug Gilmour trade, but more than his share of blunders. It's not just one thing or another, but the entire picture.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad