Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I’m shocked to see some of the stuff I’m reading about Tre. He is a good GM and a professional. He knows the kinds of players you need to win in the playoffs. The core four is the real problem here. When you’re not getting enough production from those guys that pathetic piece of garbage fraud lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass overpaid, then you’re not going to succeed. Give Tre a chance to put his real stamp on the team and put his actual vision into action. This year was always a year for him to evaluate this team and come up with a plan for necessary change. He will do that this summer. I expect Keefe/Marner/Shanascam all to be gone. Tre’s teams are built on D, give him some time to get them.
yeah solid start this year in getting Klingberg, Edmo, Boosh, just need to build on that in the offseason

• Haha
Reactions: uncleben and ponder

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Timing is the real issue here.

Brad Treliving was hired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday May 31, 2023. As part of the agreement for the Leafs to be able to talk to Treliving before his contract expired on June 30th, 2023 was that he was not allowed to be an active participant in the Leafs draft on June 24th.

Marner's NMC contract clause would kick in July 1st, 2023, when his UFA status year kicked in.

With only 1 month on the job, and not allowed essentially trade Marner at the draft as part of his non-compete agreement there was very little time to make such a big trade.

How long does it take to say that someone is available? There is a group chat of GMs.

"We are taking calls on Marner"... find the best deal and do it.

He didn't want to move Marner.

Do you think trade deadline deals are planned out before the season starts?

If there is a time constraint they work faster, it is not a hard concept.

It is tiresome to see all the same people try to excuse the new GM's blunders because they wanted a change and are probably regretting the change.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I’m shocked to see some of the stuff I’m reading about Tre. He is a good GM and a professional. He knows the kinds of players you need to win in the playoffs. The core four is the real problem here. When you’re not getting enough production from those guys that pathetic piece of garbage fraud lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass overpaid, then you’re not going to succeed. Give Tre a chance to put his real stamp on the team and put his actual vision into action. This year was always a year for him to evaluate this team and come up with a plan for necessary change. He will do that this summer. I expect Keefe/Marner/Shanascam all to be gone. Tre’s teams are built on D, give him some time to get them.
I don't know yet if he is GOOD, but I agree with you that the negative comments here (the number of them) surprise me.

With how much money the 'core 4'(or5) is paid here, I think any GM the Leafs have has LESS to work with for the remaining part of the roster than any other team in the league. He had nothing to do with that but he has to work around it. I don't think there's much of a doubt that the top of this roster is VERY talented, but the production you get for them for how much you pay them isn't the best (certainly not their playoff production).

There is only so much that can be done.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

What success has he had to make him a good GM?

We keep seeing discussions about how the previous GM failed because of the results of the post-season, where has Treliving succeeded in the past?

By the way, so far, he has resigned and given raises to 2/4 of the core 4.

You better hope he lets the other two walk if you don't want them here.

I don't know yet if he is GOOD, but I agree with you that the negative comments here (the number of them) surprise me.

With how much money the 'core 4'(or5) is paid here, I think any GM the Leafs have has LESS to work with for the remaining part of the roster than any other team in the league. He had nothing to do with that but he has to work around it. I don't think there's much of a doubt that the top of this roster is VERY talented, but the production you get for them for how much you pay them isn't the best (certainly not their playoff production).

There is only so much that can be done.

He had 20 million to spend this offseason and signed Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Kampf, and Samsanov.

He had money, just that is how he chose to use it.

Reactions: tuckerintensity

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I just don’t really know what they expect sitting Liljegren for Edmundson, Benoit, Lyubushkin. How are they going to score

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I just don’t really know what they expect sitting Liljegren for Edmundson, Benoit, Lyubushkin. How are they going to score
I have been a huge supporter of Liljegren and I want him to succeed in Toronto, but it's become apparent that he can't handle the intensity of the playoffs. In the regular season, he's been solid for the most part, but that's not good enough.

I think he's another player that could be on the way out in the off season.

Reactions: ACC1224

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto

We keep seeing discussions about how the previous GM failed because of the results of the post-season, where has Treliving succeeded in the past?

By the way, so far, he has resigned and given raises to 2/4 of the core 4.

You better hope he lets the other two walk if you don't want them here.

He had 20 million to spend this offseason and signed Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Kampf, and Samsanov.

He had money, just that is how he chose to use it.

Just by looking at the blueline alone in CGY before they traded everyone, already more success than lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass. Why do you think CGY’s blueline was the most sought after this year? Every GM in the league wanted their defensemen because they’re all solid and play the style of hockey that translates to winning. I expect Tre to sign Zadorov this summer actually.

Regarding your other dumb comment, he’s signed the 2 of 4 that EARNED raises. The only 2 of 4 that show up in the playoffs (or at least have shown they can play well and produce in a series). And to your point quoting the other poster, this crop of free agents was terrible and Bertuzzi was largely regarded as the best available FA. Domi and Bert have been good for us, those are guys you win with. Reavo has been good too. Marner will be gone this off-season along with Keefe and ShanaSCAM. You need to give Tre some time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just by looking at the blueline alone in CGY before they traded everyone, already more success than lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass. Why do you think CGY’s blueline was the most sought after this year? Every GM in the league wanted their defensemen because they’re all solid and play the style of hockey that translates to winning. I expect Tre to sign Zadorov this summer actually.

Regarding your other dumb comment, he’s signed the 2 of 4 that EARNED raises. The only 2 of 4 that show up in the playoffs (or at least have shown they can play well and produce in a series). And to your point quoting the other poster, this crop of free agents was terrible and Bertuzzi was largely regarded as the best available FA. Domi and Bert have been good for us, those are guys you win with. Reavo has been good too. Marner will be gone this off-season along with Keefe and ShanaSCAM. You need to give Tre some time.

So no results?

Earned raises? Regular season raises.

He also put his stamp on our blueline and it may be the worst in the Matthews' era.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
So no results?

Earned raises? Regular season raises.

He also put his stamp on our blueline and it may be the worst in the Matthews' era.

He hasn’t come close to putting his stamp on our blueline yet. It’ll take some time to clean up the disaster that fraud left him. I can tell you’re a Dubasite. You poor, poor fool. Lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history, and the amount of pathetic moves he made are proof how far back he set this team with his absolutely pathetic asset and cap management, and completely shit philosophy on the game. Handed the most and achieved the least. Tre will guide this team properly and build an actual blueline, just you wait and see.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He hasn’t come close to putting his stamp on our blueline yet. It’ll take some time to clean up the disaster that fraud left him. I can tell you’re a Dubasite. You poor, poor fool. Lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history, and the amount of pathetic moves he made are proof how far back he set this team with his absolutely pathetic asset and cap management, and completely shit philosophy on the game. Handed the most and achieved the least. Tre will guide this team properly and build an actual blueline, just you wait and see.

50% of the blueline is Treliving...

"worst GM in history"... we signed a GM with the same amount of success and more failures, but okay.

I hope the Leafs turn around this serious because in his first season with the Leafs he would have made them worse too.

Reactions: saffronleaf

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
He inherited a 111-point team that lost in the second round, and turned it into a 102-point team that's going to lose in the first round.

This is worse than his predecessor, who inherited a 105-point team that lost in the first round, and turned it into a 100-point team that lost in the first round.

No reason to keep him when they fire Shanahan, Keefe and their assistants later this week.
1*qC0odFwlHddrzO2R0YhkMQ.jpeg

Ask me if/when he's had five years here.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
50% of the blueline is Treliving...

"worst GM in history"... we signed a GM with the same amount of success and more failures, but okay.

I hope the Leafs turn around this serious because in his first season with the Leafs he would have made them worse too.

Yeah, cause dmen that lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass brought in are not even good enough to be in the lineup lol. Giordano, Timmins, Brodie/Liljegren, all PATHETIC. It’ll take some time, but I trust Tre to build a solid blueline.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How long does it take to say that someone is available? There is a group chat of GMs.

"We are taking calls on Marner"... find the best deal and do it.

He didn't want to move Marner.

Do you think trade deadline deals are planned out before the season starts?

If there is a time constraint they work faster, it is not a hard concept.

It is tiresome to see all the same people try to excuse the new GM's blunders because they wanted a change and are probably regretting the change.
Not a Dubas fans but I do think Dubas would had trade one or two of top guys in the summer and I think Shanny knew that and told Dubas no.
I don't think Tre didn't have time to make trades, but he probably was not allow to.
This off season will be different. At least I hope it is different.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ask me if/when he's had five years here.

Do we ignore past years?

Why do people want coaches and GMs who have won a cup if that stuff doesn't matter?

Not following the logic.

Yeah, cause dmen that lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass brought in are not even good enough to be in the lineup lol. Giordano, Timmins, Brodie/Liljegren, all PATHETIC. It’ll take some time, but I trust Tre to build a solid blueline.

I pray that you are under the age of 15 with how you speak, it is embarrassing.

Our best D has been Rielly, followed by McCabe, neither brought in by Treliving... I think the rest are interchangeable (Lub has been surprisingly good too).

I'd take anyone you listed over Edmundson at this point.

Not a Dubas fans but I do think Dubas would had trade one or two of top guys in the summer and I think Shanny knew that and told Dubas no.
I don't think Tre didn't have time to make trades, but he probably was not allow to.
This off season will be different. At least I hope it is different.

He said it was on the table.

I also don't think Shanahan will blanket veto trades if they are good, if there is a good trade, they can make it.

I just think it is weird to say that Treliving didn't have time, he had less time for sure, but it is not hard to put a name out there.

More than likely the return would be bad so I hope he wouldn't trade him, and it is likely to be bad this year too if they move on.

Reactions: aingefan

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
This comment is not meant to disparage Treliving. I’m neither a fan nor a detractor, preferring instead to see how he does with a full year of evaluation and now leading the organization into a draft.

This may be a dumb question, and I certainly welcome anyone to point that out, but it seems to me that the most prudent thing for the Leafs to do when naming a new general manager would be to simply give the job to Brandon Pridham. I’m not entirely sure why it hasn’t been given to him by now in fact. The man authored the CBA, is there anyone who would be more qualified to efficiently allocate cap space?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Simply not enough time to grade Tre yet. Anyone thinking he had time to trade Marner is a moron, you can’t just step in and make a move like that. This off-season will be telling, than it’s fair to judge him.

Anything he did in Calgary is irrelevant. Different team, different situation. Calgary is the wasteland of the NHL, no one wants to play there

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Do we ignore past years?

Why do people want coaches and GMs who have won a cup if that stuff doesn't matter?

Not following the logic.

I pray that you are under the age of 15 with how you speak, it is embarrassing.

Our best D has been Rielly, followed by McCabe, neither brought in by Treliving... I think the rest are interchangeable (Lub has been surprisingly good too).

I'd take anyone you listed over Edmundson at this point.

He said it was on the table.

I also don't think Shanahan will blanket veto trades if they are good, if there is a good trade, they can make it.

I just think it is weird to say that Treliving didn't have time, he had less time for sure, but it is not hard to put a name out there.

More than likely the return would be bad so I hope he wouldn't trade him, and it is likely to be bad this year too if they move on.

Oh please, we’re on a hockey forum discussing hockey teams and players. This isn’t some sort of institution with a standard of professionalism. Eddy has been more than fine. McCabe (another Dumbass player) has taken brutal penalties and can’t make a breakout pass to save his life. Even Rielly hasn’t looked great either. Big off-season for Tre to build the D with some real defensemen. Montour, Zadorov and Pesce come to mind right away. Nevermind these analytic donkeys that you nerds seem to love. Martin Marincin was once an analytic darling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad