Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch needs to be SAT or TRADED his choice .. JT needs to sit on LTIR or TRADED or SAT so we can build a team like Tampa and Vegas did his choice .. bottom line these are da 2 big events that will define Tre .. after Shanny/Keefer are canned .. playing around with any of these decisions by board will only mean next year is a complete waste of time for all involved .. time to step up Larry .. there is no need for post exit interviews .. everyone is trying their best

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Boot Treliving out the door along with the rest of the front office and the coaching staff too.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Just donned on me that with Shanahan gone, Brad Treliving will be a lame duck General Manager just 12 months into the job.

Very quickly, this organization is starting to feel very similar to the one owned by the TPP, that lacked any sort of future vision & forward thinking & planning.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just donned on me that with Shanahan gone, Brad Treliving will be a lame duck General Manager just 12 months into the job.

Very quickly, this organization is starting to feel very similar to the one owned by the TPP, that lacked any sort of future vision & forward thinking & planning.

I think if Shanny is out so is any loyalty to the Dubas plan that he has been championing since Lou left. The cycle of failure under the current Prez should get Tre plenty of leeway in a new regime to make some big moves. Thats if Treliving isn't swept away himself but I think he can easily sell that Shanny didn't give him free reign to make all the changes he felt were necessary. He has a year under his belt now and knows the organization. I give him an 90% chance of returning if he can show his next boss the significant changes he would make to change the narrative. Its a whole new world when he isn't saddled with Shanahan's run it back at all costs strategy.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think if Shanny is out so is any loyalty to the Dubas plan that he has been championing since Lou left. The cycle of failure under the current Prez should get Tre plenty of leeway in a new regime to make some big moves. Thats if Treliving isn't swept away himself but I think he can easily sell that Shanny didn't give him free reign to make all the changes he felt were necessary. He has a year under his belt now and knows the organization. I give him an 90% chance of returning if he can show his next boss the changes he would make. Its a whole new world when he isn't saddled with Shanahan's run it back strategy.

Issue is Tre isn't exactly known to be fairly radical in his thinking. He came in with a fairly conservative reputation when it came to team building (vets in free agency, cautious about bigger moves at the tdl), which is pretty much how it played out here.

The biggest trade he made in Calgary was basically forced on him by the player wanting out

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If and this is a BIG IF Treliving decided that he wanted to move on from Marner, and attempted to work around a NMC is to inform Marner that after next year the Leafs will not be offering him a new contract and using his money/cap space on a replacement player(s).

Marner using his NMC as leverage not to be traded, but that only applies while under contract. However with the thought that Leafs would like to move on, then perhaps he might be more agreeable to accept a trade to a team of his liking, and one that would want him, and willing to accept the terms of his next deal.

A re-sign and trade potential situation being orchestrated by Treliving here.

Without any trade even if Marner refused, then walking away from Mitch at age 28 (June 2025), does re-capture $11 mil dollars and that could be used on another UFA like say Mikko Rantanen, Leon Draisaitl both age 29 for similar future amount you might have had to invest in Marner and change the core., or of course use it towards pending UFA Dman like Provorov, Slavin or Theodore etc etc.

PS. Since Matthews and Nylander have both been re-signed by the current GM implying desire to maintain then to change the core 3 process of elimination makes it Marner the one on the move.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think if Shanny is out so is any loyalty to the Dubas plan that he has been championing since Lou left. The cycle of failure under the current Prez should get Tre plenty of leeway in a new regime to make some big moves. Thats if Treliving isn't swept away himself but I think he can easily sell that Shanny didn't give him free reign to make all the changes he felt were necessary. He has a year under his belt now and knows the organization. I give him an 90% chance of returning if he can show his next boss the significant changes he would make to change the narrative. Its a whole new world when he isn't saddled with Shanahan's run it back at all costs strategy.
Oh I have no doubt Treliving is coming back.

Just pointing out how disjointed the entire organization will be over the next 24-48 months. That disfunction doesn't lead to winning, which costs you a few more years of Matthews' prime.

This team isn't going to win a cup in our lifetimes.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
JT should rest like Stone did, so we have more cap space for the playoffs.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Why though?

When he becomes a UFA July 1st 2025, the Leafs are just one of 32 teams he could play for, and JT is one of dozens of centers the Leafs could try out. Why continue to stick with someone who's clearly not working out? He had his chance here. there is zero reason to be attached to JT at that point. Move on.

Its true, Tavares is going to have to take a paycut on top of his current market value to be attractive to the leafs.

The people thinking he gets like 5-6m are in the clouds.

He's getting 2-3m or the leafs will look elsewhere. But again, the situation with John is going to work itself out. With him here on a discount or not here.

Reactions: ToneDog

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Timing is the real issue here.

Brad Treliving was hired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday May 31, 2023. As part of the agreement for the Leafs to be able to talk to Treliving before his contract expired on June 30th, 2023 was that he was not allowed to be an active participant in the Leafs draft on June 24th.

Marner's NMC contract clause would kick in July 1st, 2023, when his UFA status year kicked in.

With only 1 month on the job, and not allowed essentially trade Marner at the draft as part of his non-compete agreement there was very little time to make such a big trade.

then the timing of his hiring is dumb

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Oh I have no doubt Treliving is coming back.

Just pointing out how disjointed the entire organization will be over the next 24-48 months. That disfunction doesn't lead to winning, which costs you a few more years of Matthews' prime.

This team isn't going to win a cup in our lifetimes.

no point planning around matthews' prime. he's in his prime and does nothing to help the team in the playoffs.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
My only gripe with Tre is that he gave Keefe a two year extension and said he was a good coach.

Would you really fire him after saying this lol? (I want Keefe gone at this point).

Such a shit time to be a fan of this team.
So you have no problem with William receiving 11.5 x8 with a full nmc?

Should have seen the 80’s if you think this is bad.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Its true, Tavares is going to have to take a paycut on top of his current market value to be attractive to the leafs.

The people thinking he gets like 5-6m are in the clouds.

He's getting 2-3m or the leafs will look elsewhere. But again, the situation with John is going to work itself out. With him here on a discount or not here.
After these payoffs, if Tavares and Marner want to be here, it has to be at a number that makes sense for the team. That is assuming they are even wanted next year.

Should have waited to sign Willie until the end of the playoffs. Would have saved the team millions in cap space and real money. I blame that on Shanny until somebody shows me proof that Tre was the dummy who made that move.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He inherited a 111-point team that lost in the second round, and turned it into a 102-point team that's going to lose in the first round.

This is worse than his predecessor, who inherited a 105-point team that lost in the first round, and turned it into a 100-point team that lost in the first round.

No reason to keep him when they fire Shanahan, Keefe and their assistants later this week.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He inherited a 111-point team that lost in the second round, and turned it into a 102-point team that's going to lose in the first round.

This is worse than his predecessor, who inherited a 105-point team that lost in the first round, and turned it into a 100-point team that lost in the first round.

No reason to keep him when they fire Shanahan, Keefe and their assistants later this week.
At least he did not blow assets like his predecessor did only to lose. Given everything Tre passed all the tests. He will fail the exams this year but he deserves another kick at the can. His predecessor would still be here had he not pulled a PP on Shanny.

BTW, Dubas inherited a 91 point team that did not make the playoffs and turned it into an 88 point team that did not make the playoffs and put them in cap hell the same way he left the Leafs.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I’m shocked to see some of the stuff I’m reading about Tre. He is a good GM and a professional. He knows the kinds of players you need to win in the playoffs. The core four is the real problem here. When you’re not getting enough production from those guys that pathetic piece of garbage fraud lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass overpaid, then you’re not going to succeed. Give Tre a chance to put his real stamp on the team and put his actual vision into action. This year was always a year for him to evaluate this team and come up with a plan for necessary change. He will do that this summer. I expect Keefe/Marner/Shanascam all to be gone. Tre’s teams are built on D, give him some time to get them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00