Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Whatever ,the point is anyone can be traded was my point, if the return is good enough,I’m not saying they should trade him ,but would never say they wouldn’t.

and I guess my point is that great players rarely ever get traded because conventional wisdom in the nhl is that you just dont trade your franchise players when they are so singularly irreplaceable

theres been a couple cases where a young ron francais got traded... or a young chris chelious got traded... and honestly it turned out pretty ugly for those franchises

you keep your great players when they are under contract... and maybe you trade them when they reach the end of their contract if you cant afford to keep them... the only other time you trade them is when you think they are a cancer and even then everyone says you made a mistake

our fan base still says we shouldnt have traded thornton or seguin and they were by no means in the same category as most the guys I mentioned but they do illustrate a point... even when the team says a guy is a cancer, it still is a very unpopular move to trade him when he is that great.

I wait for anyone to come up with a list of great players traded while under contract that ever worked out positively for the team

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Darryl Sitler? Marcel Dionne? HHOF members they are. Not sure if either make your list of all-time greats, but Brad would not make mine. He's a tremendous player, elite in a lot of respects, but not always between the ears and that might be what separates him from true greatness. Who knows if he gets moved or not, but I can imagine the downward pressure on Cam who puts it down to Sweeney that someone is going to be made a scapegoat for three home losses in a Cup final series. That scapegoat it seems to be will have to be someone of impact because the Bruins were not living or dying on the type of series Danton Heinen or Noel Acciari had.

It might all be a bunch of nothing, but @Fenway is right, there is a track record with the Jacobs crew.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
24 hours ago things were very emotional and there was anger over the botched line change that resulted in the CUP winning goal.

The draft is only a week away - and the B's are picking 30th. Is there anybody they really want to move up for? :dunno:

I can not stress enough the elephant in the room - Charlie wants his father to win the Cup at least one more time.
As always, you sharing the behind the scenes stuff the rest of us aren't privy to is much appreciated.

Your last comment suggests ownership is committed to the window now. So I don't know who they'd draft that would make the team better than Marchand next season, especially with his cap friendly contract.

I'm not opposed to trading Marchand, but not as a punitive measure in a knee jerk reaction to his costly blunder last night. The Seguin trade taught us the folly of that.

As much as I love Cassidy, maybe a sports psychologist could help them. They admittedly didn't take the Leafs seriously in Game One, and they seemed to get full of themselves after wins in the Final. They never could win consecutive games, and no, I don't give all the credit for that to Binnington.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Darryl Sitler? Marcel Dionne? HHOF members they are. Not sure if either make your list of all-time greats, but Brad would not make mine. He's a tremendous player, elite in a lot of respects, but not always between the ears and that might be what separates him from true greatness. Who knows if he gets moved or not, but I can imagine the downward pressure on Cam who puts it down to Sweeney that someone is going to be made a scapegoat for three home losses in a Cup final series. That scapegoat it seems to be will have to be someone of impact because the Bruins were not living or dying on the type of series Danton Heinen or Noel Acciari had.

It might all be a bunch of nothing, but @Fenway is right, there is a track record with the Jacobs crew.

sittler was traded by convicted crook Harold ballard as he got into a very personal fight together right?

I think dionne was a free agent signing when he left Detroit for LA. dionne was 35 when he went to NY as a trade deadline guy.

ballard also ran off dave keon if I remember right... no Toronto alumni would go back to maple leaf reunions for years after ballard pulled his crap with guys like sitter and keon and just Pejorative Slurly traded them off. he couldnt even get a real gm to run that team with his crazy moves and had to give gord sellick a job when good buddy punch imlach just got too old or whatever.

that was one dysfunctional organization and it sent that team into the wasteland for over a decade before new ownership came in and got some new leadership like Gilmour and Wendell clark in there to have a very short term success in the early 1990s

Reactions: Lady Rhian

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I'll take that bet. No chance they trade him.

Spectacular player. One of the best defensive forwards in the league. One of the best offensive forwards in the league. Led the playoffs in scoring.

I mean, I also thought the notion of trading Seguin was absurd, but this strikes me as even more so. I'll eat my hat if Marchand gets traded. I could see them trading Pasta for not being "gritty" enough before moving 63. Either would be ridiculous.

Reactions: Spooner st

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As always, you sharing the behind the scenes stuff the rest of us aren't privy to is much appreciated.

Your last comment suggests ownership is committed to the window now. So I don't know who they'd draft that would make the team better than Marchand next season, especially with his cap friendly contract.

I'm not opposed to trading Marchand, but not as a punitive measure in a knee jerk reaction to his costly blunder last night. The Seguin trade taught us the folly of that.

As much as I love Cassidy, maybe a sports psychologist could help them. They admittedly didn't take the Leafs seriously in Game One, and they seemed to get full of themselves after wins in the Final. They never could win consecutive games, and no, I don't give all the credit for that to Binnington.

Nobody feels worse about the botched line change than Marchand. He was in shambles after the game.

Every second counts - 1200 in a period - 3600 in a game.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Nobody feels worse about the botched line change than Marchand. He was in shambles after the game.

Every second counts - 1200 in a period - 3600 in a game.

I saw his interview and figured he was taking it personally.

I remember watching Behind the B after the Final loss in 2013, and the players I saw - Lucic, Chara, Bergeron - were taking it quite well.

But I think last night's gaffe will torment Marchand for quite a while.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I saw his interview and figured he was taking it personally.

I remember watching Behind the B after the Final loss in 2013, and the players I saw - Lucic, Chara, Bergeron - were taking it quite well.

But I think last night's gaffe will torment Marchand for quite a while.

Players get a bonus from the NHL for each round they play in but it is not tied into their regular season salary. This is where the owners make a huge profit knowing that all the players want is their name on the Cup.

All the other sports players talk about getting a ring but you will never hear a hockey player talk about a ring.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Players get a bonus from the NHL for each round they play in but it is not tied into their regular season salary. This is where the owners make a huge profit knowing that all the players want is their name on the Cup.

All the other sports players talk about getting a ring but you will never hear a hockey player talk about a ring.
Yep. Even Cassidy told Jack Edwards after the game his biggest disappointment was they weren't getting their names on the Cup.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
I WANT to be completely wrong but the Bruins have a track record on stuff like this.

The Jacobs box at TD last night was not a happy place

upload_2019-6-13_21-49-58-png.236379
a bit off topic but that Dunkin ad above them perfectly encompasses the failure that was that game

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Actually it's more on management than the Jacob's family.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If the plan is to trade him and probably to a western conference team, there are 6 of them that have a pick in the top 10 and 3 in the top 5 (if the Bruins like someone there). This draft I believe is also top heavy with centers which is the one position the Bruins lack organizationally regarding their prospect pool. If I were Sweeney, I would have to think long and hard about getting a top 10 pick, 2-3 A-level prospects, and maybe a roster player in a return for Marchand.
Taylor Hall.... come on down!!
@Saxon Eric What about Matthew Tkachuk?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Well, they do work for the Jacobs and he's the common denominator to past management teams...
Wasn't the Thornton trade on O'Connell? Remember Sinden saying to him if he think that's going to help the team then do it.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I would be beyond livid if they traded him. What a horrible, knee-jerk idiotic reaction that would be. There is no one in this draft worth Marchand. Yea I said it.

Was the line change bad? Absolutely. Did he have a bad game? You betcha. Did he have a better playoffs than both Pasta and Krejci. He sure did. Lead the team in scoring in the regular season and postseason.

Let's not make another reason to be the laughing stock of the league. Please

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I would be beyond livid if they traded him. What a horrible, knee-jerk idiotic reaction that would be. There is no one in this draft worth Marchand. Yea I said it.

Was the line change bad? Absolutely. Did he have a bad game? You betcha. Did he have a better playoffs than both Pasta and Krejci. He sure did. Lead the team in scoring in the regular season and postseason.

I can't like this post enough. Well said.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
24 hours ago things were very emotional and there was anger over the botched line change that resulted in the CUP winning goal.

The draft is only a week away - and the B's are picking 30th. Is there anybody they really want to move up for? :dunno:

I can not stress enough the elephant in the room - Charlie wants his father to win the Cup at least one more time.

I'm glad Charlie is still looking for daddy's approval.

Maybe Charlie can want it for the generations of Bruins fans who've helped build up that trust fund...

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
If the plan is to trade him and probably to a western conference team, there are 6 of them that have a pick in the top 10 and 3 in the top 5 (if the Bruins like someone there). This draft I believe is also top heavy with centers which is the one position the Bruins lack organizationally regarding their prospect pool. If I were Sweeney, I would have to think long and hard about getting a top 10 pick, 2-3 A-level prospects, and maybe a roster player in a return for Marchand.

@Saxon Eric What about Matthew Tkachuk?
I like how you think! Would love him here

Reactions: Absurdity

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I would also argue he cost the Bruins game 2. I don't even know how to explain it because I would never expect Marchand who is so sound defensively look like Ovechkin in defensive coverage during a regular season game in Sunrise, Florida. It's just astonishing how bad he has looked defensively at times in these playoffs, and I don't know why.

Ultimately, I think Sweeney stays the course and trades for a top 6 winger to get his team back to the dance one more time. They owe it to Chara, and I think Marchand will want to get back there for him just as much. I think moving any core players is something to ultimately talk about after next season depending on the result.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I like how you think! Would love him here
:laugh: Granted it was your idea that we have talked about previously on here, but the way the stars are aligning right now, it looks more and more like a possibility now than I thought it was 4-5 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad