Brad Marchand - Greatest Contract Of All Time?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, it never made any sense.

Even if you’re just talking about based on this years sample size - Hyman’s contract is clearly better among active players.

So how can Marchand be the best contract of all time?
cause he's in rhe conversation...... of course it's debatable

If that is the case, what about Mitch”in” Marner, William “don’t cry bro” Nylander, Austin “I can score in the regular season” Matthews and John “I like to wear my Pajamas” Tavares.

How do their contracts match up?
Contracts like Marchands help the Bruins chances

Contracts like the Beiber Core kill the leafs chances

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Goosrre said:
It's difficult to deny your interpretation when you just make stuff up, I agree with that.

Was the thread title "Best current $6 million player", or was it "Greatest contract of all time?" because there's a pretty big difference.
It's difficult to deny your interpretation when you just make stuff up, I agree with that.

Was the thread title "Best current $6 million player", or was it "Greatest contract of all time?" because there's a pretty big difference.

Best contract or best 6 million dollar contract........ Marchand is in both conversations.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
That 'Rat Bastard' is def the best value (has been for the past 6 seasons) of this league - possibly in N.American pro sports.

In fact - I just might start a 'GoFundMe' page for him.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The only people that hate him are fans of other teams in the East. Everyone else loves him.
I hate it when I am told whom I should, or should not hate...Truth be told I like the guy - wish he were a Red Wing.

1714497598351.png

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Cup win.
Scored 5 goals in the Stanley Cup Final
Leads league in shorthanded goals.
All time leader play off goals by Bruin.
Hit 100 point season.
Shows up in big games consistently.
Plays first line, powerplay , penalty kill.

Habs haven't had a winger this good since Guy Lafleur retired.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not the greatest contract all time. Guys in the early years (pre WHA) were poorly paid, relatively. Marchand is providing way more than his contract, that’s for sure.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The thing I hate the most about Marchand is that it was really easy to hate him as a Canucks fan, and at least you could say that he was a POS middle 6 winger who would fade away pretty quickly. But then in 2015 he somehow became a top line winger. What the f***? You're supposed to suck. Goddamnit. He even annoys me by being good.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Cup win.
Scored 5 goals in the Stanley Cup Final
Leads league in shorthanded goals.
All time leader play off goals by Bruin.
Hit 100 point season.
Shows up in big games consistently.
Plays first line, powerplay , penalty kill.

Habs haven't had a winger this good since Guy Lafleur retired.

Why are you naming things he did under his entry-level contract as an argument for this being the best contract of all time?

MacKinnon was making 175K more than Marchand the last 6 years and everyone would pick him.

Reactions: authentic

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
And he didn’t win the Art Ross, Lindsay, or Hart.

The highest salary in 2010/11 was tied between 2 players
Vinny Lecavalier and Roberto Luongo at 10,000,000 each
The Sedins were 3.9 million away from them in spots #44 and #45.

This year, Nathan Mackinnon is the highest-paid player and makes $16.5 million.
Marchand is making $5,000,000 in spot #227, which is 11.5 million away from him.

Yeah, it never made any sense.

Even if you’re just talking about based on this years sample size - Hyman’s contract is clearly better among active players.

So how can Marchand be the best contract of all time?

Zach Hyman makes $7,650,000 this year and is in spot #95 vs Marchands #227 at $5 million

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Marchand is making $5,000,000 in spot #227, which is 11.5 million away from him.

Zach Hyman makes $7,650,000 this year and is in spot #95 vs Marchands #227 at $5 million

Actual salary isn't what people talk about. If you're looking at actual salary you're just going to have a list of older players whose contracts were frontloaded.

For example: Crosby made 3M this year.

Crosby at 3M or Marchand at 5M?

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Actually salary isn't what people talk about.

Crosby made 3M this year.
Hyman signed his contract when he was a nobody 4th line grinder. Wait till his next contract of $8 million. This must suck as a Leaf fan to talk about him being a great performer for value. I feel for ya.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hyman signed his contract when he was a nobody 4th line grinder. Wait till his next contract of $8 million. This must suck as a Leaf fan to talk about him being a great performer for value. I feel for ya.

Marchand signed his contract when he had a career high of 61 points.

What does this have to do with the contract?

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Why are you naming things he did under his entry-level contract as an argument for this being the best contract of all time?

MacKinnon was making 175K more than Marchand the last 6 years and everyone would pick him.

Consider the source.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Henrik Zetterberg's 2nd NHL contract coming out of the lockout. 4 years $2.65M/yr.

Those 4 years he was 15th in league-wide scoring in the regular season and 1st in league-wide scoring in the playoffs with a Cup win and Conn Smythe.

Reactions: holy

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The highest salary in 2010/11 was tied between 2 players
Vinny Lecavalier and Roberto Luongo at 10,000,000 each
The Sedins were 3.9 million away from them in spots #44 and #45.

This has nothing to do with my point lol

• Haha
Reactions: Mick Riddleton

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Didn't know you had rules.
Guys get paid on what they have accomplished. Most second contracts are based on what they did in their entry level. Duh.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Marchand signed his contract when he had a career high of 61 points.

What does this have to do with the contract?
There is more to value than just points to determine what a guy is worth and willing to take to help out the team. In that time frame, the top line of the Bruins was signed for just over $18 million. (Pasta, Bergeron and Marchand). That may well be the best contract for a top line ever.

Marchand previous contract was 4.5 million, that is only an increase of 1.6 million from his present one, and he did score 37 goals in 77 games. He was also, agruably, in that World tourny the best player for Canada

Hyman more than doubled his salary from 2.25 million to 5.5 million with the Oilers and only had 33 points for half a year before signing that. The Oilers gambled on him, and it paid off bigtime.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Ok, then the only people that hate him are fans of Toronto, Montreal and whomever Boston is playing that night.
Nah, I think he is generally hated. He is also one of the players that I most wished were on my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad