Friedman: Brad Marchand closing in on extension with the Bruins

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Imagine saying someone cost themselves a chance at the hall of fame because they only scored 67 points in back to back seasons as a 35/36 year old. Selanne literally had a whole string of years from 31-34 where he fell off hard.
Dumb post

Selanne had 3 Rockets from age 22 to age 28

Then was elite again at age 35, 36, and 40. He is over career ppg.despite playing majority of his career in lower scoring era (1997ish to 2014ish)

Selanne bounced back hard at ages 35-36 and was super elite ages 22-30.

Marchand has 5-6 elite years vs selanne having 10-11.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He played on the Bergeron line ( depending on who you ask, was the 1st or 2nd line ) and scored the 2nd most amount of goals for the Bruins in the playoffs. He was a bit more than a depth player.

The post I was responding to was totally disingenuous. He was impactful in his role, but he was also a rookie just breaking into the league when he won the cup. Then continued to be a depth player for years before turning into a superstar like 7 years later. :dunno:

Rather generous definition of depth player.

Regardless the Bruins and Marchand simply must be discussing team friendly salary. Otherwise it can wait and be 1 year at a time as they did with Recchi.

See above. He's definitely earned my respect for how his career turned out. Kind of Pavelski-ish in the sense that he blew the doors off all expectations later in his career. I don't think Marchand is a HOF player.

Dudes a hall of famer show some respect guys a class act, should have won a few lady bings in his career

Also he's better than anything to come out of the Habs System in the last 30 years

wrong
:laugh:

Oh such authority. I'm not sure what the Habs have to do with Marchand.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Selanne had 5 top 10 hart finishes. + a 13th
Marchand had 4 top 10 hart finishes + a 11th.
Kucherov currently only has 4 top 10 hart finishes + 12th and 13th but he is better than Marchand for peak/prime + playoffs and longevity after this year

Selanne had 10-11 years where he was a top 5 winger in the league. He was elite earlier in his career and elite for longer having elite years at ages 35, 36 and 40

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Kucherov currently only has 4 top 10 hart finishes + 12th and 13th but he is better than Marchand for peak/prime + playoffs and longevity after this year

Selanne had 10-11 years where he was a top 5 winger in the league. He was elite earlier in his career and elite for longer having elite years at ages 35, 36 and 40
Marchand brings a lot of things Kucherov and Selanne wish they could bring.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marchand brings a lot of things Kucherov and Selanne wish they could bring.
There arent many aspects of hockey that matter to winning that Marchand does better than Kucherov besides penalty killing.

Kucherov is a generational NHl player or as close as you can be without being one.

Marchand while once elite isnt anywhere close.

Swap Kucherov for Marchand and Boston has a few more cups.

Kucherov is already the better and higher player alltime despite less than 750 career games

Selanne also was again elite for longer and has almost 1500 career pts.

There is no comparison between marchand and those two guys

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just the fact a poster had to debunk his chances at the hall of fame shows how far he came in his career.

There was a time that Gallagher and Marchand were kind of seen as comparable, and then Marchand took off to another stratosphere.

It's been a pretty interesting career arc.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
The one thing I’m going to say is he has been an elite penalty killer his whole career.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I believe it’s a feature of the new Excel Spreadsheet Viewing (ESV) module.

Basically it allows you to not have to watch games any more. You just stare at an Excel spreadsheet that automatically updates with “expected” this and that. Apparently there were 457 “expected” goals in the NHL last night. Not sure who exactly expected them or what happened to those expectations, but the Excel sheet sure was exciting as hell. That update at 9:52PM EST was just amazing. All the numbers changed a lot!!!!!
Someone must have reanimated the corpse of George Carlin because this guy is so funny!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad