Bowman extended through 2021

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
CZpwRFnXEAECWdt.jpg:large

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Like Q, Stan has done a very good job despite an occasional miss like Bickell or Sharp trade. Well deserved.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Like Q, Stan has done a very good job despite an occasional miss like Bickell or Sharp trade. Well deserved.

Still think people miss the point on the Sharp trade. There was absolutely no one in the market for him and thus 'helping' us out. If I owned another team, I would have required exactly what Dallas did, knowing the Blackhawks HAD to deal him.

Good move on our part though, glad Stan is staying, and hopefully getting ready for another SC push.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Love how he and Q are extended until 2019-20 (Bowman a year longer). Like Toews and Kane, they are probably attached to the hip which is McDonough's plan.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This was expected

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes going forward

I just find this comment hilarious. You post how you "hope" he learns form his mistakes when you post here everyday and have learned little/still post the same incorrect bs everyday.

Bowman is a top 3 gm in the league and this is well deserved.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Still think people miss the point on the Sharp trade. There was absolutely no one in the market for him and thus 'helping' us out. If I owned another team, I would have required exactly what Dallas did, knowing the Blackhawks HAD to deal him.

Good move on our part though, glad Stan is staying, and hopefully getting ready for another SC push.

It's the same reason why we had to let Ladd, Soupy, Oduya, Buff, Bolland, Versteeg (first time), Vermette, Niemi, Leddy, etc. all go. Remember, Bowman also kept Hjarlmarsson over Niemi.

There's something called the HARD CAP in hockey. And unlike the NBA, you can't break the cap to pay your own stars and just "deal" with the luxury tax. There are no exceptions (minus LTIR) and puts GMs of winning teams in vulnerable positions. MLB has a soft cap (any team can go over). The NFL's structure is the only cap like the NHL (except the NFL consistently moves the cap higher) ... and how many teams have won 3 championships in 6 years in that League? Not even the vaunted Patriots.

In this day and age, it's incredible Bowman's maintained a "pseudo" dynasty for 6 years. He's also positioned the franchise to contend for another 5. The Hawks can easily clip the recent run of the Red Wings ... and that's with another "super team (Kings)" in the same conference! Even a talented team like the Avalanche shined brightly for 2 cups and then collapsed like a dark star.

Give Bowman his due. He helped Tallon build a championship team with some scouting, aggressive FA signings, and luck. He's had slip ups like every other GM, but what Bowman's done to maintain the winning culture is nothing short of miraculous in the era of the Hard Cap. He's one resourceful SOB.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm digging the emphasis on Bowman's mistakes as hundreds of good small player/staff personnel decisions go unnoticed since was given the keys.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You sure about that?

So you want to go back to 2001 - 2004? And there's a lot evidence the Patriots cheated (not just legally circumvent the cap) to get win. In fact, the Patriots have won 1 title in the last 11 years. Make no mistake, Belichick runs that franchise ... and he's thought of as a genius. But go to Cleveland and they'll tell you that Belichick was one the big reasons why the franchise moved to Baltimore. He was terrible in Cleveland. He created indifference to a once passionate fan base.

If Bowman won 1 more title in 11 years, our fans would roast him & Q. In Boston, Belichick is untouchable (even w/the legitimate on the field cheating findings). That's the difference.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So you want to go back to 2001 - 2004? And there's a lot evidence the Patriots cheated (not just legally circumvent the cap) to get win. In fact, the Patriots have won 1 title in the last 11 years. Make no mistake, Belichick runs that franchise ... and he's thought of as a genius. But go to Cleveland and they'll tell you that Belichick was one the big reasons why the franchise moved to Baltimore. He was terrible in Cleveland. He created indifference to a once passionate fan base.

If Bowman won 1 more title in 11 years, our fans would roast him & Q. In Boston, Belichick is untouchable (even w/the legitimate on the field cheating findings). That's the difference.

Based on what you said, the starting point is 1992, when the cap was put in.

Nothing you said implied we're only looking at the last 6-7 years. Don't move the goalposts because you misspoke.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Based on what you said, the starting point is 1992, when the cap was put in.

Nothing you said implied we're only looking at the last 6-7 years. Don't move the goalposts because you misspoke.

Living in NYC, I know exactly what the Patriots have done in the past 15 years. I also know all the cr@p they pulled in the Belichick era. Sorry if I don't put the Patriots run of 2001-2004 in high esteem. All I know is that if Bowman got busted for blatant cheating, he would have been pushed out of Chicago a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad