Post-Game Talk: Boston Creamed | 01/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenatorArmy*

watching us play against Boston makes me realize we are in actuality, a soft team. When it comes to teams like Boston it's tough to play from behind. They just wear you down with their physicality. Although I felt a lot of our guys should have played a lot harder tonight. Boston ALWAYS plays hard.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Karlsson gets a star for Boston!

Just got home. So Erik played as badly as it appeared to be. I admit to only seeing a few glimpses of the game on a small tv while in and out of a hospital waiting room but each time I looked I saw EK easily beat or losing the puck for a goal. I also saw a few good plays by Stone. That's about it so can't comment much. I recorded the game so plan to watch a bit more later if I can stomach it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
watching us play against Boston makes me realize we are in actuality, a soft team. When it comes to teams like Boston it's tough to play from behind. They just wear you down with their physicality. Although I felt a lot of our guys should have played a lot harder tonight. Boston ALWAYS plays hard.

:handclap:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Are we soft or is Boston just the toughtest team in the NHL?

SenatorArmy*

Are we soft or is Boston just the toughtest team in the NHL?

we're soft relative to them. And probably other teams like L.A., chicago etc. Also much less talent on the roster. We're sort of a middle of the pack team, which is fine for now but going up against those sort of powerhouses reminds us that there is A LOT of room for improvement.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We need to get consistent defensemen.. Hope Ottawa brass see this. people can bash me all they want. I've been a true fan from day one of the Sens in Ottawa... karlsson is better suited as a forward. What's the point getting goals if you give a few to the opposition? . Imagine tonight was a critical game in the
Playoffs.. Bet many more fans would be on his case

Karlsson is not better suited as a forward... that idea does not fly. Ask Buff which position he prefers to play.

SenatorArmy*

Size doesn't always equal toughness. Pound for pound, we're as big as Boston.

Maybe on paper. but I Find they are stronger on the puck & support each other much better. Then again, maybe that's just the style they play to protect the lead. Getting a big lead early seems like the only way to beat them if you dont have the muscle to knock them off the puck & get them out of their possession game

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Shots were virtually even tonight. Sens 29 Bruins 30. Not bad, but poor play caused goals against the Senators. Lehner's goaltending was below average and much below the save percentages achieved earlier this season. With any luck, he could have stopped 1 or 2 of the shots that went in. I was surprised at the hits stats which shown the Senators out hitting Boston by about 30 to 18.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson is not better suited as a forward... that idea does not fly. Ask Buff which position he prefers to play.

I agree with your point that Karlsson is not better suited as a forward. But your comment about Buff does not support that conclusion. I think Karlsson benefits by playing D just like some other smaller highly skilled Dmen have in the past, such as Housley, Timmonen, Coffey, Sjoberg. it allows them to quarterback the offence and pick their spots for attacking. Unfortunately tonight Karlsson did not pick his spots for attacking very well. s*** happens sometimes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Size doesn't always equal toughness. Pound for pound, we're as big as Boston.

Agree, size does not equal toughness. I remember when the Senators went to SCF against Anaheim. The Senators had a taller and heavier team, but did not use that size advantage well as they were not a physical tough to play against team. I was surprised looking at the stats tonight though to see the Senators hit totals compared to Bostons.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It has nothing to do with size or toughness. The Bruins just play a better structured game and have excellent sticks. This causes turnovers which create better scoring chances than we were getting. The shots were close, but I bet you the scoring chances were in Bruins favour. Karlsson had an abysmal game. If he has a good game we have a very good chance of winning it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Shots were virtually even tonight. Sens 29 Bruins 30. Not bad, but poor play caused goals against the Senators. Lehner's goaltending was below average and much below the save percentages achieved earlier this season. With any luck, he could have stopped 1 or 2 of the shots that went in. I was surprised at the hits stats which shown the Senators out hitting Boston by about 30 to 18.

A good example that the stats don't tell the whole story, it looked to me like Boston had their way with us throughout the entire game. Ottawa had spurts of activity in their end but it was mostly a one sided game tilted in their favour for sure. I wonder what possession time was like for them. I also wonder why this team has always had so much difficulty with competing hard every game & every shift over the yrs. We can't blame the rebuild any more, is it the system, is it the players, the coaching or what?

SenatorArmy*

29 shots to 30 seems even until you consider how many of our shots were perimeter shots or soft floaters into Rask. I'll take quality shots over quantity shots everyday

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA

How do you know that EK is not better suited as a forward if he has never been given an opportunity to play a forward position?????

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
How do you know that EK is not better suited as a forward if he has never been given an opportunity to play a forward position?????

Then who is going to get the puck out of the Sens end to the forwards?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Something needs to change with that Neil-Legwand-Smith line. Every time the team gets caught in their zone for long periods of time, it's always those guys out there. No speed and no hussle. Legwand is always making little soft plays that backfire. I don't mind these plays when they at least work >50% of the time but his always lead to giveaways.

- Wiercoch was terrible
- Karlsson was worse than Wiercoch
- refs were bad, missed a MacArthur trip, phantom call on Chiasson. They weren't reaponsoble for the loss but they were bad nonetheless.

Anyway, they should just forget about that one and focus on Detroit on Tuesday.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This team needs Methot to come back. Then it needs another top 4 D to play with Ceci

Karlsson-Methot
Ceci - Mystery D
Phillips/Boro/Gryba

They're too young to dominate offensively, with the group they have they gotta have elite goaltending and solid defense to hold down the fort when the young forward group has inevitable off nights.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Anyone else feel like the refs have had it out for MacArthur since he spoke out from the St Louis game last season?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
First time I didn't enjoy watching the Sens this year. Bust of a game. Lack of emotion, lack of emergency. The Bruins showed a lot of that and played an almost flawless game...

Great goals by Stone and Zibanejad. Ceci was amazing once again but nothing much more... Karlsson was... well he has 3 assists.

This team needs Methot to come back. Then it needs another top 4 D to play with Ceci

Karlsson-Methot
Ceci - Mystery D
Phillips/Boro/Gryba

They're too young to dominate offensively, with the group they have they gotta have elite goaltending and solid defense to hold down the fort when the young forward group has inevitable off nights.

??? You have guys on the wrong side...

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Phillips-Gryba
Borowiecki

Use Wiercioch as trade bait, he needs another system to perform. Dunno what's wrong with him, but he could use hitting the gym of course.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
First time I didn't enjoy watching the Sens this year. Bust of a game. Lack of emotion, lack of emergency.

Exactly, I normally PVR the games and last year found myself fast forwarding through the games often. This year, every game was interesting, they were working hard and didn't give up. This was the first time this year where I pretty much fast forwarded the entire 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad