Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bruins beat leafs 5-1 in game one

Bruins beat Panthers 5-1 in game one.

" Big team, little me"

Yes yes all equal including toronto
Maurice worst record as coach was with the leafs I'm sure.
I'll bet on that without checking.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You would be wrong.

His record:

Florida 2 years .616
Winnipeg 9 years .576
Toronto 2 years .530
Carolina 11 years .503
Hartford 2 years .464

These last 2 should be combined as it was the same franchise in 2 different cities.

• Haha
Reactions: Thirty Seven

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Bruins beat leafs 5-1 in game one

Bruins beat Panthers 5-1 in game one.

" Big team, little me"

You would be wrong.

His record:

Florida 2 years .616
Winnipeg 9 years .576
Toronto 2 years .530
Carolina 11 years .503
Hartford 2 years .464

These last 2 should be combined as it was the same franchise in 2 different cities.
easy-money-terminator-2.gif

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
After all these years of the same? its time to change the direction of this team.
or
Give mitch 12 million

Keefe is the one they should replace. That core is the envy of most teams, let's not kid ourselves. I wouldn't mess with it. But Keefe has had plenty of opportunities, so if a shake up is needed it is behind the bench. There is a three-time Stanley Cup winner who is probably spending his spare time fishing who they ought to call that everyone seems to keep forgetting. He'd be perfect for this underachieving bunch. (Hint: Joel Quenneville)

untouchable for sure ....... shooting for 60 years !

57 years is not pretty, but there are two teams who have never won a Cup who are currently at 54 years themselves. Vancouver being one of them that still has the chance to change that this year. Buffalo cannot. So I wouldn't call it untouchable by any means.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
That core is the envy of most teams, let's not kid ourselves.
That was definitely true 3 years ago. Nowadays with the always-a-bridesmaid act it's pretty clear that Torotno's roster philosophy is flawed.

The Leafs have so many "star" players that the effectively have no star players (if everyone's a star, NOBODY'S a star, just ask the Yankees), and the cap hit ensures they can't build the depth/supporting cast around them to actually contend.

Instead of a team, the Leafs have assembled an impressive group of individual pieces only to find out that they're all the Z block in Tetris. No real way to go all the way here.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
That was definitely true 3 years ago. Nowadays with the always-a-bridesmaid act it's pretty clear that Torotno's roster philosophy is flawed.

The Leafs have so many "star" players that the effectively have no star players (if everyone's a star, NOBODY'S a star, just ask the Yankees), and the cap hit ensures they can't build the depth/supporting cast around them to actually contend.

Instead of a team, the Leafs have assembled an impressive group of individual pieces only to find out that they're all the Z block in Tetris. No real way to go all the way here.

You have to be careful what you wish for though. This team is guaranteed good regular seasons. Nylander, Marner and Matthews have never missed the playoffs. In a league where 50% of the teams miss the playoffs that is more impressive than we think. So if you trade Marner you miss out on what he brings to the table. He blocks shots, he kills penalties, he creates short handed scoring chances, he is going to be in the HHOF someday and he was a Selke finalist a year ago, not to mention a supreme playmaker. You have to make sure you are getting something better in return. Because he's good for flirting with 100 points every year.

Reactions: PainForShane

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
You have to be careful what you wish for though. This team is guaranteed good regular seasons.
And the Bruins had a good regular season despite not having the best forward corps, and they were built around 3 star players, MacAvoy, Marchand and Pastrnak.

The difference is that the bruins had a much better supporting cast, and a strong defense. What Toronto had was Sheldon Keefe pulling several minor miracles to turn a lack of defensive talent into something that can keep the goal out of the back of the net. Eventually his improvised structure broke down one time too many. That's not on Keefe. Making it to game 7 was on Keefe, and it was a job well donme.

Leafs overcome their bad defense to generate offense. The Bruins let offense flow from their defense. And that's why we beat you, Lindholm made a good defensive play, gained the puck and used a set play to generate a scoring chance which went in. It's a different philosophy but it works at least as well as yours. We've been doing that sort of thing to you guys since the days of Claude Julien.

Sheldon Keefe has one thing right. Defensive teams really do just "set it up and let the Leafs beat themselves." The Leafs try to carry an aggressive attack with their forwards, but good defensive teams have known for decades how to trap forwards, gain the puck, and create offense on the counterattack.

We nailed you in game 7 because you tried to come storming out after Nylander's goal, and we successfully trapped you, countered and scored. That's defense creating offense. And the Leafs aren't built to do this except by accident.

They have this ridiculously outdated idea that forwards score and defenders defend. When you only have 5 guys out there everyone has to do a bit of everything. That means forwards have to play tight D and defenders have to be prepared to make good outlet passes and create scoring chances.

Having 4 star forwards and completely neglecting your D creates imbalances and mismatches which a playoff team can easily exploit. And the Bruins were hardly the most talented team in the playoffs and have several holes themselves, they still figured you out in the end.

you guys need some balance. you need to get back to the idea of 3 good lines and mobile 2 way defenses. The Bruins went back to the basics this year after Bergeron retired and we're already doing better than we did in Bergy's last year here. The Leafs CAN do this too.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
And the Bruins had a good regular season despite not having the best forward corps, and they were built around 3 star players, MacAvoy, Marchand and Pastrnak.

The difference is that the bruins had a much better supporting cast, and a strong defense. What Toronto had was Sheldon Keefe pulling several minor miracles to turn a lack of defensive talent into something that can keep the goal out of the back of the net. Eventually his improvised structure broke down one time too many. That's not on Keefe. Making it to game 7 was on Keefe, and it was a job well donme.

Leafs overcome their bad defense to generate offense. The Bruins let offense flow from their defense. And that's why we beat you, Lindholm made a good defensive play, gained the puck and used a set play to generate a scoring chance which went in. It's a different philosophy but it works at least as well as yours. We've been doing that sort of thing to you guys since the days of Claude Julien.

Sheldon Keefe has one thing right. Defensive teams really do just "set it up and let the Leafs beat themselves." The Leafs try to carry an aggressive attack with their forwards, but good defensive teams have known for decades how to trap forwards, gain the puck, and create offense on the counterattack.

We nailed you in game 7 because you tried to come storming out after Nylander's goal, and we successfully trapped you, countered and scored. That's defense creating offense. And the Leafs aren't built to do this except by accident.

They have this ridiculously outdated idea that forwards score and defenders defend. When you only have 5 guys out there everyone has to do a bit of everything. That means forwards have to play tight D and defenders have to be prepared to make good outlet passes and create scoring chances.

Having 4 star forwards and completely neglecting your D creates imbalances and mismatches which a playoff team can easily exploit. And the Bruins were hardly the most talented team in the playoffs and have several holes themselves, they still figured you out in the end.

you guys need some balance. you need to get back to the idea of 3 good lines and mobile 2 way defenses. The Bruins went back to the basics this year after Bergeron retired and we're already doing better than we did in Bergy's last year here. The Leafs CAN do this too.

This is why I am not a big fan of "tear it down" mentality. We literally lost in Game 7 overtime. There was almost a goal with 1 second left in regulation off of Nylander's stick. For a team that didn't have their stars healthy, it actually isn't that bad. Toronto is in a tough division. Now, I am not saying they shouldn't have more than one playoff round to their name, I am just saying we are talking about inches between Toronto losing and Boston losing and being the 1st team in NHL history to blow 3-1 series leads in back to back years. It is that close. I would add some stay at home type on defense and then give this core another shot, with a new coach.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is why I am not a big fan of "tear it down" mentality. We literally lost in Game 7 overtime. There was almost a goal with 1 second left in regulation off of Nylander's stick. For a team that didn't have their stars healthy, it actually isn't that bad. Toronto is in a tough division. Now, I am not saying they shouldn't have more than one playoff round to their name, I am just saying we are talking about inches between Toronto losing and Boston losing and being the 1st team in NHL history to blow 3-1 series leads in back to back years. It is that close. I would add some stay at home type on defense and then give this core another shot, with a new coach.
The team finished in 10th place and almost got out of the first round.
I think when you’re core players are in their primes the goal should be much higher than that.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
This is why I am not a big fan of "tear it down" mentality. We literally lost in Game 7 overtime.

And if they'd only done it the one time, I'd be right there with you. But you could have just described almost any of the last 10 seasons of Toronto hockey.

At a certain point, not enough is not enough, no matter just how narrowly the "not enough" is not enough.
There was almost a goal with 1 second left in regulation off of Nylander's stick. For a team that didn't have their stars healthy, it actually isn't that bad. Toronto is in a tough division. Now, I am not saying they shouldn't have more than one playoff round to their name, I am just saying we are talking about inches between Toronto losing and Boston losing and being the 1st team in NHL history to blow 3-1 series leads in back to back years. It is that close. I would add some stay at home type on defense and then give this core another shot, with a new coach.
Yeah but you need to ask why it's that close. Because it's not down to your forward corps.

Keefe managed to overcome the lack of productivity of the big 4 by stringing together the supporting cast, the guys you aren't paying for, guys like Edmondton, Bertuzzi, Woll and Knies, and holding the team in the game with good defensive structure when the scoring wasn't there, and getting some of the guys you brought in on cheap contracts to play over their heads at key times..

The Leafs didn't nearly beat the Bruins. KEEFE nearly beat the Bruins, and it wasn't because of the roster philosophy but almost DESPITE it.

your response is to keep the terrible roster and fire the guy who nearly managed to overcome the adversity placed on him by the GM. The same guy who DID overcome that adversity last year.

Sheldon Keefe is the best asset you have and you want to fire him and keep all the balls-and-chains he was dragging around. Absurd.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Keefe is the one they should replace. That core is the envy of most teams, let's not kid ourselves. I wouldn't mess with it. But Keefe has had plenty of opportunities, so if a shake up is needed it is behind the bench. There is a three-time Stanley Cup winner who is probably spending his spare time fishing who they ought to call that everyone seems to keep forgetting. He'd be perfect for this underachieving bunch. (Hint: Joel Quenneville)

57 years is not pretty, but there are two teams who have never won a Cup who are currently at 54 years themselves. Vancouver being one of them that still has the chance to change that this year. Buffalo cannot. So I wouldn't call it untouchable by any means.
Nobody envies that core.
Matthews Nylander 👍
Tavares Marner 👎
Rielly a good number 3 or 4 on most of the 8 teams remaining .
Wyatt Johnson is what 20. Already a better play off player than Marner.
Fredrick the fourt line Bruin mucker out scored Marner the 11 million dollar "God" in the last series.
Nobody envies that .
But ya Keefe should be replaced.
So should Shanny for turning the team over to Dubas and Keefe.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Is Boston still bitching about Toronto? Guys, congrats! You won a playoff round against us in 2024.

But your team franchise sucks ass.

Again. You have 100+ history in the NHL, same as Toronto. You were in the league when it was only 6 teams...same as Toronto.

You could only win the thing 3 times in the first 60 years of your shit franchise's existence when it was only 6 teams.

Same as Tor...oh wait.

Now granted you've managed to win 3 more since then...so? Your average throughout your entire history is 6 cups in 100+ years. (see I don't have to cherry pick my history in only existing from 1968 and beyond like you sorry chaps...lol) I measure the success of your club throughout its ENTIRE history, and it's pretty clear. Yall are an original 6 team with only 6 wins in 100+ years. Y'all suck. Especially your first 60 years.

Now this is where it gets painful for you. Even if the Leafs stopped playing and just went on a skid for the next 100 years not winning anything...and we gave Boston another 100+ years to double up their cup wins...they STILL wouldn't have as many cups as the Leafs.

That's just history. ALL of history. As you should reference when you are comparing two original 6 franchises.

And yes I am well aware who owns this league, and it isn't Toronto and it certainly isn't Boston.

Anyways enjoy the rest of your playoffs, I'm certain you are gonna win it all...lol. But even though we are the center of the hockey verse...you should probably stop talking about us.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The team finished in 10th place and almost got out of the first round.
I think when you’re core players are in their primes the goal should be much higher than that.

It is, yes. I get the feeling this might have been Matthews time to shine though after Game 2. That was what we expect out of a guy of his caliber. Then he got sick, then hurt and then he wasn't the same all series. Nylander either. Probably even Marner. But Matthews went from 5 shots in Game 1, 8 shots in Game 2, and then 3, 1, 3. That's not him. Something was hurting him where he couldn't shoot the puck. You can't make excuses, these things happen and you deal with it. But do you tear it all down over this? I wouldn't. Not yet anyway. It doesn't have that feel of starting over to me. No major changes. Just tweaks. Treviling did the right thing last summer adding grit.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
And if they'd only done it the one time, I'd be right there with you. But you could have just described almost any of the last 10 seasons of Toronto hockey.

At a certain point, not enough is not enough, no matter just how narrowly the "not enough" is not enough.

Yeah but you need to ask why it's that close. Because it's not down to your forward corps.

Keefe managed to overcome the lack of productivity of the big 4 by stringing together the supporting cast, the guys you aren't paying for, guys like Edmondton, Bertuzzi, Woll and Knies, and holding the team in the game with good defensive structure when the scoring wasn't there, and getting some of the guys you brought in on cheap contracts to play over their heads at key times..

The Leafs didn't nearly beat the Bruins. KEEFE nearly beat the Bruins, and it wasn't because of the roster philosophy but almost DESPITE it.

your response is to keep the terrible roster and fire the guy who nearly managed to overcome the adversity placed on him by the GM. The same guy who DID overcome that adversity last year.

Sheldon Keefe is the best asset you have and you want to fire him and keep all the balls-and-chains he was dragging around. Absurd.

I am not a fan of Keefe personally. I don't hang it all on him, but he has had 5 postseasons of failure. Babcock really only had 1 if you want to count it. In 2019 they could have won, but that was it. 2017 and 2018 this team was too young. They didn't get better under Keefe. He doesn't seem to light a fire under them enough. Maybe too much of a country club atmosphere.

Nobody envies that core.
Matthews Nylander 👍
Tavares Marner 👎
Rielly a good number 3 or 4 on most of the 8 teams remaining .
Wyatt Johnson is what 20. Already a better play off player than Marner.
Fredrick the fourt line Bruin mucker out scored Marner the 11 million dollar "God" in the last series.
Nobody envies that .
But ya Keefe should be replaced.
So should Shanny for turning the team over to Dubas and Keefe.

I miss Lou.

That being said, Toronto just had a guy who scored more goals than anyone else has in a season in the last 28 years.

People saying we should trade Marner or whoever, well, what is the return you get for him? How do you know how that works out? Does it affect the chemistry? You still have your best players under 30. Why blow anything up right now?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
It is, yes. I get the feeling this might have been Matthews time to shine though after Game 2. That was what we expect out of a guy of his caliber. Then he got sick, then hurt and then he wasn't the same all series. Nylander either. Probably even Marner. But Matthews went from 5 shots in Game 1, 8 shots in Game 2, and then 3, 1, 3. That's not him. Something was hurting him where he couldn't shoot the puck. You can't make excuses, these things happen and you deal with it. But do you tear it all down over this? I wouldn't. Not yet anyway. It doesn't have that feel of starting over to me. No major changes. Just tweaks. Treviling did the right thing last summer adding grit.
You realize there's a middle ground between "do nothing" and "firesale" right?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would have torn it down after the Montreal series tbh.
I’ll give Matthews a bit of a pass for the playoffs but the team looks a little weaker every year. This year they finished 10th. They don’t look like a team trending upward and ready to contend for a Cup and the window will close in a few years. A pretty major shakeup is needed to the core to reverse the trend imo.
Finishing 10th and almost getting out of the first round should be viewed as a failure not a success. And that’s piled on top of prior years disappointments.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
You realize there's a middle ground between "do nothing" and "firesale" right?

That would be "tweak". And that's what they should do. Marner being traded for instance is a bit on the "fire sale" side.

I would have torn it down after the Montreal series tbh.
I’ll give Matthews a bit of a pass for the playoffs but the team looks a little weaker every year. This year they finished 10th. They don’t look like a team trending upward and ready to contend for a Cup. A pretty major shakeup is needed to the core to reverse the trend imo.
Alright, fair enough. I just think that we have to be careful thinking the grass will be greener on the other side. For example who do you trade and what do you get/want back for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad