Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I wouldn't say that it's 100% that Marner is done in Toronto. They have to first convince him to waive his NMC and from the sounds of it, in the past he wants to stay in Toronto. But if he was a good person, he would waive it for the sake of the team and himself to move on to a new path in his career.
It depends on what his Dad says. Im getting Lindros vibes from that family. Besides, who wants a guy who is a no show in big games at that salary. They need to pay more and retain Lyubushkin and Domi. Leafs have to maintain salary on Marner; that is the only way he gets moved.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Leafs do it to themselves.

Needed Samsonov to win one game. He couldn’t. That final goal where he just stood there frozen when he could have easily poked the puck away is all you need to know.

Another disaster season down the drain

Congrats Boston
Samsonov had no chance on that goal. Pastrnak was in complete control, 1 on 0 and moving at full speed. the goalie had no chance at all. if he'd somehow managed to save it it would have been completely down to luck.

hell of a pass from the blue line, i've never seen a better scoring chance. The leafs defense were completely caught napping, but the same could have happened to nearly every defensive pairing in the NHL with a chance like that.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I've been hard on Keefe this season. Have to give him credit last half of the series. Made adjustments that shut Marchand down after his hot start. Made the right goalie call that ended up tying the series. His system largely shut Pastrnak down the whole series until the OT goal. Took a mediocre D the GM gave him and was able to put in a system that was good enough to win the series.

The big 4 for Toronto are the ones who failed, pure and simple. This series loss is not on Keefe, the D, or goalie.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pastrnak had a crap series but showed up at a critical time. Outside of Nylander, who I thought had a strong series when healthy, none of the Leafs core ever do that.
Surprisingly I thought the D, goalie and depth players all played well.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Needed Samsonov to win one game. He couldn’t. That final goal where he just stood there frozen when he could have easily poked the puck away is all you need to know.

Congrats Boston
To me that is on Keefe, he kept playing the goalie with the worst SV% from all the Leafs ones. What can you hope to achieve going into playoffs with a .890%, and 40 games is a serieous sample.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Damn that's cold.

There's chirping, and then there's what you just did.

Savage.
40408374-E54F-497A-BD4E-F9C539373FC3.gif

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He left a decent core. They hired the wrong guy to fill out the rest of the team

Core has demonstrated they are not the group to build around for post season success, or at least not all of the core four at their significant proportion of the cap.

Good in the the regular season but abysmal in playoffs isn’t “decent” in terms of building a contender.

When he interviewed I suspect Treliving indicated he wanted to trade some of the core four but there was a top down instruction to give them one more year first.

The Leafs played well falling short as they don’t have the depth of personnel of a normal contender given cap constraints.

Some of his new recruits performed well, if they can get Marner and Tavares’ caps off the books that opens up a lot of possibilities to develop a legitimate playoff contender.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Congrats Boston
Your team scored 12 goals in 7 games, 2 goals or less in the last 5 games and the skaters just watched (Marner and Reilly controller disconnect) as one of the best goal scorers of this generation rockets by them on a breakaway in a Game 7 OT and somehow it's the goalies' fault. You're looking in the wrong places for the blame. It's the same story as always, the core isn't good enough outside of Nylander. Blaming Samsonov for last night and that last goal in particular is absurd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad