Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lotta things you could point to on the OT goal. Multiple Leafs kinda just let Pasta wind up and didn't keep up with him. Samsonov letting the puck go doesn't seem that bad to me, despite what the panel was saying. That felt like a dangerous play to leave your net on.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
First goal, Lindholm goes high blocker, screened shot. Could happen to any goalie. Even Woll.

Second goal, Pasta catches Rielly sleeping and swoops in off a set play for the game winner. Think Ilya even got a piece of it with his toe, but not enough.

And, again I feel like a broken record here but the only "bullsh*t" is the idea that the Leafs supposedly high-powered offense was only able to score one goal in Game 7. Not sure how many more times I can try to explain this to you, but I'll keep going if I really need to.
There is no law prohibiting recognizing that more than one thing occurred. Marner was also quite less than stellar on that sequence too, but there's also nothing wrong with wishing for a better response by Samsonov.

If you feel like a broken record, perhaps that is not the fault of others.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Lotta things you could point to on the OT goal. Multiple Leafs kinda just let Pasta wind up and didn't keep up with him. Samsonov letting the puck go doesn't seem that bad to me, despite what the panel was saying. That felt like a dangerous play to leave your net on.
Its like the boards made a perfect pass to the slot near the front of the net.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
7 first round exits and an 0-5 record in Game 7 during the Matthews era.

IMG_8427.gif

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There is no law prohibiting recognizing that more than one thing occurred. Marner was also quite less than stellar on that sequence too, but there's also nothing wrong with wishing for a better response by Samsonov.

You shouldnt use Samsonov to deflect the blame from the 40 million dollar elephant in the room. Samsonov played above his paygrade this game.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Yeah, sure and if the Leafs didn't have the worst PP and lowest GPG in the playoffs it wouldn't have went 7 either.

Both teams are hotdog water, it's not difficult to point out flaws in bad teams.
I'm not sure if this is a fair comment. Boston has been basically playing a low event, smothering game this year. It's why they had so many OT loses. I'm not convinced if you put many other teams vs Boston you'd see them light the lamp a ton more. I guess we will find out next series

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Its like the boards made a perfect pass to the slot near the front of the net.
Yea and I'm not really sure where Samsonov ranks in terms of playing the puck, either, but that was a pretty swift play so I was surprised to hear Hrudey saying he thought Samsonov should've gone out for it.

He did the thing that everybody here always thinks the goalies should do whenever they leave the crease and mess up: stayed in his net.

Though I'll buy that he could've been more aggressive as Pastrnak cut across.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
You shouldnt use Samsonov to deflect the blame from the 40 million dollar elephant in the room. Samsonov played above his paygrade this game.
I'm referring to one goal. As I have mentioned in my previous posts here, I am not in any way absolving the top-$$ offense.
Seriously, my post is specifically focused on the OT series -winning goal.

Yes, i will look at Samsonov as a major part of that, and comment as I see it.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Leaf fans...diehard Leaf fans got a right to be messed up.
Our forwards sucked this playoffs...no f***ing scoring,no f***ing PP goals,they looked like shit on it.No f***ing adjustments...unbelievably frustrating.
Gotta put the puck in the net more,get creative,instead of making it look pretty.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yea and I'm not really sure where Samsonov ranks in terms of playing the puck, either, but that was a pretty swift play so I was surprised to hear Hrudey saying he thought Samsonov should've gone out for it.

He did the thing that everybody here always thinks the goalies should do whenever they leave the crease and mess up: stayed in his net.

I think the way the puck careened perfectly to Pasta and the unimpeded speed completely threw him off. It was just a really fortunate bounce.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

The poster they are replying to keeps putting all the blame on Samsonov who gave them a chance to win yet continues to ignore that the teams star players didn't show up once again in a game 7. That's why the broken record remark, they refuse to acknowledge that.

If Samsonov comes out to play the puck, misplays it and gives it up he's going to get blamed. He makes the safe play and gets beat by one of the best goal scorers in the game and he still gets the blame.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I'm not sure if this is a fair comment. Boston has been basically playing a low event, smothering game this year. It's why they had so many OT loses. I'm not convinced if you put many other teams vs Boston you'd see them light the lamp a ton more. I guess we will find out next series

Boston got off to a hot start, became a very mid-mediocre team down the stretch.

I know it's a fair comment, because those of us who actually pay attention have seen the most expensive offense in the league falter for years on end regardless of their opponent.

You cannot excuse scoring 2 goals or less in 15 lf 16 playoff games, period..especially with the amount of money going into that offense.

I can't believe people are still making excuses for this rubbish. This is easily their worst Stanley Cup Playoff opponent since Montreal, and they absolutely blew it again.

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think the way the puck careened perfectly to Pasta and the unimpeded speed completely threw him off. It was just a really fortunate bounce.

You just don't let someone blow past you like that in the playoffs, especially the opposing star.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019

It was one of those plays that can make a player unsure,especially a goalie.The ricochet was faster than usual,and it went to the right spot.The players should have been on that more than the goalie,but it was a perfectly timed shoot in,and a perfect bounce,timed perfectly.Everything lined up perfectly on that play,including the Leafs players positions,and where they were skating at the time when the puck was shot in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad