Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 2/7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
@bl02 I didn't have a problem with their three picks. Thought they could have had better guys, but the thing that jumped out to me was when the three of them didn't show up to camp in shape for 2 years in a row. That set off alarms but it looks like Debrusk righted his own ship and is turning out alright for then.

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We had a top 3-5 farm before Kreider graduated. That's 7-8 years ago now.

We've botched virtually every top 10 pick we've ever had with the jury still out on Andersson.

6, which is when they started trading away their assets.

What does what they did with top 10 picks (most of which were made decades ago) have to do with what they do moving forward?

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
We had a top 3-5 farm before Kreider graduated. That's 7-8 years ago now.

We've botched virtually every top 10 pick we've ever had with the jury still out on Andersson.
We've had 1 top 10 pick in that 7-8 year period and Lias last year

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Bergeron looked like toast individually also before their renaissance this year.
Yes. But Bergeron has always been a good player, even when the Bruins looked like dog crap and everyone was laughing at what Sweeney was doing in Boston. Good players often aren't able to really reach their potential consistently unless enough good things are happening across the team. It's just sunk too far down with the Rangers right now. The piper is being paid.
Edit: the injury situation is a factor, and has to be recognized, but it also underlines and emphasizes other things.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I mean hes not wrong, but I don't see how he can say that if he didn't follow it up by ripping into his team for their performance after the first 20.

I can understand GSC's frustration, but yeah, he's not wrong. He didn't follow up with a rip because why publicly kick a horse that's already down. Team is on verge of collapse, and as bad a coach as he is right now, he did the right thing by not trashing an injury depleted carcass of a team with at least three AHLers trying to do jobs they're not really qualified for.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Gorton will fire AV after this year. possibly even before seasons end. Lets see what he can do with 4-5 guys who could viably be traded in a little over two weeks time. Lets give him a chance at the draft . I'm thankful he's realizing its time to sell at least. I'm not quite sure that would have been the mentality if cigar man was still running things.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We all enjoyed the ride. anyone who says otherwise is lying. I hated the st louis trade and felt we gave up too much for yandle but i enjoyed every single minute of the 2014 and 2015 runs.

Damn straight. Although I do have to fly the flag for the 11-12 team. Even though I knew we were never really shot I loved that team

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
6, which is when they started trading away their assets.

What does what they did with top 10 picks (most of which were made decades ago) have to do with what they do moving forward?

Ok, wipe the history clean and let's assume it could go either way.

We're still just assuming a bright future when our farm system as it stands is pretty bad.

Reactions: NCRanger

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm curious how good the bruins farm system was before they missed the playoffs for two consecutive years and started to stock up on draft picks?

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
It's clear that this team can't handle playing while knowing there's trade rumors out there. A stronger group might take that as a reason to play as best as they possibly can in an effort to ensure they don't get traded. Instead, our guys look like it's preseason out there making basic sloppy mistakes.

I can take losing if they play their best and with pride. I can't take apathetic garbage like tonight.

I missed the third, but thought Nash played well before that. And that's the guy that doesn't just have rumours, but is straight up being asked "How do you feel about being traded?"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

We're still just assuming a bright future when our farm system as it stands is pretty bad.

It could absolutely go either way.

But not attempting to rebuid or reset or what ever word you want to use is going to fail every single f***ing time.

There are enough good assets on this team to be moved to rebuild the farm. Thats another pretty gigantic difference between this team and the dark age teams. Those teams didn't have a McDonagh to move.

Reactions: pld459666

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I have to say I agree so far, seeing Lettieri and Nieves not being able to make impacts. I worry guys like ADA, Pionk, Graves and Bear Gloves will be just on that AHL/fringe NHL caliber level.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It could absolutely go either way.

But not attempting to rebuid or reset or what ever word you want to use is going to fail every single ****ing time.

There are enough good assets on this team to be moved to rebuild the farm. Thats another pretty gigantic difference between this team and the dark age teams. Those teams didn't have a McDonagh to move.

No they didn't have a McDonagh to move, just the best player in franchise history and a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Reactions: NCRanger

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I missed the third, but thought Nash played well before that. And that's the guy that doesn't just have rumours, but is straight up being asked "How do you feel about being traded?"
Nash was a captain for years in Columbus, and had to deal with the sideshow prior to being traded here. He's always been calm under scrutiny. He's also one of the few players that gives an honest effort every shift, every game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
What's different?

This is one of the worst teams in the league.

3 regulation wins in 19 games.

The difference is that the Dark Ages was year after year of an unaccountable GM punching himself in the face.

This is not that, by a long shot.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and bl02

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Guys, this is it. Like I don't know how much worse you really think the dark ages were.

Our lowest finish back then was 12th in the conference. What is this team, 11th?
Other guys have hit it on the head, but the other aspect of the dark ages was that at any given time, we had at least 3 HOFers on the team. The total number of HOFers, almost-HOFers, or otherwise top-players-when-not-in-NY we iced was staggering (Gretzky, Kevin Stevens, Fleury, Kamensky, Kevin Hatcher, Schneider, Messier, Leetch, Richter, Lindros, Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Lefebvre, Holik, Nedved, etc.). The quantity of let-down, year after year, was something I've never seen in any pro sports franchise before or since.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Other guys have hit it on the head, but the other aspect of the dark ages was that at any given time, we had at least 3 HOFers on the team. The total number of HOFers, almost-HOFers, or otherwise top-players-when-not-in-NY we iced was staggering (Gretzky, Kevin Stevens, Fleury, Kamensky, Kevin Hatcher, Schneider, Messier, Leetch, Richter, Lindros, Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Lefebvre, Holik, Nedved, etc.). The quantity of let-down, year after year, was something I've never seen in any pro sports franchise before or since.

We had a knack for signing the brand names whose games and ages were going south. It was like Sather was transfixed on the Sony Walkman when everyone was looking for an iPod. It was, indeed, incredible.

Throw Quintal, Ozolinsh, and Kasparaitis into that list.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yup, Nash has been the only person other than Hank who seems to give a crap lately and to his credit Nash has been playing well while facing the most pressure. That's why when people crap on Nash and his character it really bothers me. People think if he's not scoring then he's lazy and doesn't care. The dude cares, he loves being a Ranger and he's got all the character in the world. I'll miss him when he's gone.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yup, Nash has been the only person other than Hank who seems to give a crap lately and to his credit Nash has been playing well while facing the most pressure. That's why when people crap on Nash and his character it really bothers me. People think if he's not scoring then he's lazy and doesn't care. The dude cares, he loves being a Ranger and he's got all the character in the world. I'll miss him when he's gone.

Nash seems to play well after being embarrassed.

See the first half of the 2015 season.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

That day he was interviewed about submitting his no-trade list, he easily threw out the number of years he's been with the team. People have to realize that his most memorable life events -- marriage, kids -- happened when he was a Ranger playing in New York City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad