Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] G Jeremy Swayman signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Gotta say I don't really care wether it's 8×7.75 or 8×8.25. If Sway is as good as everyone thinks he'll be, no one will cry over an additional 500k in cap space. If he's somehow a mirage, either contract would've sucked. People will wanna microanalyse who won and who caved due to how this played out, but in the end, it's a negligible difference.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Almost like the teams philosophy is defensive minded. So is it really the coach?
well the coach decides the system, but sure, I guess the GM is part of that since he hires the coaches. Probably not a coincidence. Maybe goes even deeper than that.

Very curious how long they can keep it up, though. Eventually picking low in the draft year after year will catch up with them. Probably the most consistent team in hockey since the 90s-2000s Wings.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He gains fans like you to tote water for him instead of a player who fought to ultimately sign an obvious contract that should have been on the table since July.

At least Neely has years of experience to earn the respect of fans, instead of a couple of partial years like Sway. I'll always be a Sea Bass fan. Now the pressure is on Sway to show that he actually deserves the contract he just signed. He may well, but we'll find out in the coming years.

Hey don't hate the player, hate the game.

Sorry, I choose to hate the player. :sarcasm:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Gotta say I don't really care wether it's 8×7.75 or 8×8.25. If Sway is as good as everyone thinks he'll be, no one will cry over an additional 500k in cap space. If he's somehow a mirage, either contract would've sucked. People will wanna microanalyse who won and who caved due to how this played out, but in the end, it's a negligible difference.
True. Draisaitl's 8 year, 8.5AVV contract looked expensive at the time. The key was they locked up a core player for huge term. Chiarelli did a few things really well, and locking up good players long term was one.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Getting more than the 8x8 after that press conference makes Swayman look and feel like he won. Giving more than 8x8 makes management look like they bent a bit, but didn't really get bent over. I understand why both would be willing to do this deal especially just prior to the season.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Why the f*** would Neely lie about the latest contract offer being $64M? What do you truly think he gains from lying? We’re talking about the agent Gross here who’s one of the most penny-ante agents there is.
I don't think the idea that that offer was discussed internally but not officially presented when he said it to the media is farfetched. Kind of semantics at that point though

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It is pretty obvious the agent lied about never hearing that number than Neely lying or erroneously putting it out that $64M was the latest offer
I don’t think anyone actually knows but them. However that wasn’t my point-it has nothing to do about blame. Once Neeely put $64m out there, Swayman signing that deal would be an admission that he was the bad guy. So he had to hold out for a bigger number. It’s only $4m on the total deal, but if he kept quiet he may have got that 8x8 deal signed.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair deal fro both sides. Swayman gets security and the Bruins buy up (for good value) six UFA years through the player’s prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad