Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] D Nikita Zadorov signs with the Bruins (6 years, $5M AAV)

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
People always gotta say a term is too long...or a cap hit is slightly too high... as if it isn't always this way. With like every contract around the league. The guy is 29, he's not gonna sign for 3 years. It's just not reality

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
If the Bruins can get 19+ minutes a night out of him in their system, it will be a good contract.

He plays the game in a physical first kind of way that few players do. He will take the man before the puck. He will box out defenders while he has the puck to make plays with it. It is a very unique style that few players in the league could physically pull off.

The downside is he has poor vision. He's actually decent with game management now and know when it is and isn't time to do some things (struggled here as an Av) but the actual rate at which he plays/thinks the game is a beat slow for a guy with his confidence. He's not diagnosing plays and deftly turning for a slick pass for a score - he's lugging the luck for too long and shooting hard shots from wierd spots that catch the goalie awkwardly.

And this is where the struggle to number him comes up. There's times where he can define and control the play on the ice to where you feel he could be a #3. There's other times he oafs with the puck into a turnover behind the play and you say that's a #6 that needs babysitting.

He's still improving his decision making and I think there's a chance of becoming accepted as a top 4 if decision-making continues to improve with age.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's not a bottom pairing guy like some have said. Solid #4 that's plays big and is big - has excellent post whistle and lockerrom swag. He will be an excellent fit in Boston - a team with good system play, discipline and coaching. Boston is similar to Vancouver now so I think he will transition well.

Reason Vancouver couldn't pay him was the redundancy of him being a left shot. Can't have Hughes, Soucy, and Zadorov on the left side making around 16M.

He will be missed in Vsncouver and Boston won't regret this signing.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Bottom pairing dman got 5 million aav to pretend to be tough. He talks alot to the media and can't back it up on the ice because he doesn't have the skill to do so.

Probably got tired of losing to Edmonton so he ran away to the east.
Is what you’re saying reality? Methinks not

Reactions: tyhee

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Bottom pairing dman got 5 million aav to pretend to be tough. He talks alot to the media and can't back it up on the ice because he doesn't have the skill to do so.

Probably got tired of losing to Edmonton so he ran away to the east.
Only 24 Dman have scored more goals than Zadorov over the last two years. Pretty impressive for a guy with no skill…

Reactions: BergyWho37

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Only 24 Dman have scored more goals than Zadorov over the last two years. Pretty impressive for a guy with no skill…
he has 6 goals this year and had over 120 penalty minutes. If you want to take the one off year he scored 14 as legitimate, then I dont know what to tell you.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Really enjoyed him in Vancouver. He's a great guy to have on your side. Look how salty he made Oilers fans.

I hope he does well in Boston.
Why would they be salty Oilers beat the Canucks and Zadrov that being said there is a reason the Bruins stay near the top of the League they make smart moves

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'll take him over Gryzlyck any day. at least Zadorov doesn't get pushed away like a five year old kid. in front of the net.
If he's in front of the net. He's been known to have some issues staying in position.

But again, I don't want to smear him. I love Zadorov. It's just that his positives need to be tempered with the negatives.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bruins D has for a number of years paid the price in the playoffs for having Defenseman physically punished.

Slowly but surely Boston has built a big top 6 (all 6’ plus) and now has some nasty on the backend as well. Following the Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller model here. Have to pay for that.

In Boston’s system and with Swayman in net he will fit very well.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
If Boston makes the playoffs which they have proven time and time again they can this is a great signing. Regular season Zadorov you may notice much but playoff Zadorov he proved he’s a beast and plays with a lot of passion.
yeah but will he be that in 3 years too?

too much term, and too much money

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
People always gotta say a term is too long...or a cap hit is slightly too high... as if it isn't always this way. With like every contract around the league. The guy is 29, he's not gonna sign for 3 years. It's just not reality
A mil and a year too much/long is fine for UFAs - past that is when an overpay can be discussed, and I think Zadorov is 1.5m and 2 years off

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Z is a good player I have a lot of respect for him. I think he’ll fit perfect in Boston. Boston has had a sneaky good offseason so far.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
To me he's on the same level as a guy like Cody Ceci.

Serviceable when playing top 4 minutes, but leaves you wanting more.

I don't think the Bruins will get an value out of $5 million per year, and there is a good chance the contract becomes a problem.

Reactions: McHelpus

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
A guy that big and strong who can skate, plays a physical style and is willing to stand up for teammates has value over and above his effectiveness so I think the aav is within the acceptable limits for Free Agent Frenzy, a time during which most contracts for established players are at their highest.

With reports that Vancouver offered "about $5 million" it seems likely that the Canucks and Zadorov failed to reach agreement over term as opposed to annual average value.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
To me he's on the same level as a guy like Cody Ceci.

Serviceable when playing top 4 minutes, but leaves you wanting more.

I don't think the Bruins will get an value out of $5 million per year, and there is a good chance the contract becomes a problem.
Ceci is waiver candidate. They are nothing alike. Try again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad