Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] D Nikita Zadorov signs with the Bruins (6 years, $5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
About the contract I expected for him. I don't think the Canucks were too keen at that cap hit and that term. I would have loved to have him back as he's a great guy, great teammate and has a unique skill set, but isn't going to be playing the big important minutes.

I wish him well, and I'm sure you'll love him in Boston.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Monty likes flexibility and tinkering with lines and pairings, so I'm sure Zadorov will see time with Peeke on the 3rd pairing. But he's going to be mostly a top 4 guy here, where he'll be a complimentary piece with McAvoy or form a twin towers on defense with Carlo depending on situation.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not nearly as bad as it sounded like it could be, but it's still a ton of money and term for a guy who has spent most of his career as a somewhat inconsistent impact #4/5 "tweener". Unique skillset and all and the Bruins system will probably help get a lot out of him.

At the same time...i'd rather have one $5M Zadorov than $3.5M worth of Forbort and Desharnais. Term is the kicker though. I'm not sure how comfortable i would be with 6 years of Zadorov. I'm not sure his game is going to age that gracefully. It's physically demanding, and very dependent on that physical skillset. If the wheels start to fall off and/or he starts to accumulate more significant injuries that neuter his physical play...he'll become a pretty useless player. And 6 years is certainly long enough for that to happen. Just a question of how many decent years they get out of him first.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Monty likes flexibility and tinkering with lines and pairings, so I'm sure Zadorov will see time with Peeke on the 3rd pairing. But he's going to be mostly a top 4 guy here, where he'll be a complimentary piece with McAvoy or form a twin towers on defense with Carlo depending on situation.
good strategy against 30 of the other 31 teams

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's a very fun and good bottom pairing defenseman but he's a bottom pairing defenseman making five million for the next six years.

He will probably play with McAvoy in Boston. Bruins tend to roll the D pairs pretty evenly and then find spots to give McAvoy an extra shift; it’s not like they will be asking Z to play 24 minutes or anything. But McAvoy has carried guys like end of career Chara and Gryz his whole career, guys that add a certain element but are flawed, and McAvoy covers up the flaws. I think they saw how black and blue McAvoy was after the Florida series and said “enough”.

Last edited:

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Unique player is the key in signing him probably a year or two longer then most would feel comfortable signing him for but let’s not just say he’s a bottom pairing he can play up in top 4D minutes and he’s far from the usual bottom pairing guys that are roughly paid 3mil unless they are on a bargain prove it contract or still establishing themselves in the NHL deal.

29 year old is hardly over the hill so buckle up anyone taking runs at Pasta anymore that ship has sailed..

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
With this contract you're basically paying him to be a top 4 Dman which is a role he's never proven himself in consistently as he's always been a 4/5 at best. The upside is there, but that's a big risk to take with that length of term. Has the opportunity to be a decent contract for his playoff ability but also an equal opportunity to be an anchor (see Tyler Myers 6x6 in Vancouver).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
If Zadorov can play like how he did for the Canucks in the 2nd half and playoffs this is a great addition for the Bruins, especially with their brand of hockey.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Good pickup- but price tag but it’s a bet that Zadorov has more to show as he did in the playoffs. It’s a big bet but I’m sure they’re comfortable with their systems and structure they can get the most out of Zadorov.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I really like this player. But that is just too many years for a guy whose been a 4/5 at best during his prime years. This contract will not age well. I'll be surprised if he plays out the full length of this deal. This has buyout after 4 years written all over it.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
In Calgary I used to call him Bobby Zadorrov after some of his patented rushes. I like Zad's game and feel he can be a top 4 guy.

A good pickup by Boston. They'll enjoy the player.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I really like Zadorov, except term is too long to pay a top 5/6 DMan. He has all the skills: skating, shot, passing, stick handling, block shots, size and toughness.

Problem is the poor IQ. Frustration is the mental lapses leads to multiple defensive breakdowns. Inconsistent whenever he’s on the ice.

BOS with their excellent defensive structure could reduce the mistakes to justify this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad