Proposal: Bos-Cgy-Chi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Hawks Receive:
Ilya Nikolaev (Flames)
2022 Florida 2nd (Flames)

Bruins Receive:
Dylan Strome
Tyler Pitlick

Flames Receive:
Jake Debrusk
Curtis Lazar

Why:
Hawks pick up a prospect and a late 2nd for a player they have been looking to deal. Bruins flip Debrusk for Strome essentially which makes a lot of sense as a basis of a deal although I don’t think Chicago has use for Debrusk hence this 3 way deal. The Lazar for Pitlick flip is necessary to make this deal work cap wise for Calgary. Flames add more offense to their top 9 which is needed in Debrusk and then like I said the Lazar/Pitlick swap is essentially for cap purposes but Flames get back a familiar face who was popular in the room and move Pitlick who just hasn’t worked well this year.

Lines after:
Marchand,Bergeron,Pastrnak
Hall,Coyle,Smith
Haula,Strome,Foligno
Nosek,Frederic,Pitlick
Kuhlman

Gaudreau,Lindholm,Tkachuk
Coleman,Backlund,Mangiapane
Debrusk,Monohan,Dube
Lucic,Richardson,Lewis
Lazar

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't hate it, but Debrusk would be a rental. Calgary can't afford him going forward without moving someone out substantial. You'd have to trade Monahan for this to work in the offseason and give Debrusk 5+.

Last edited:

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021
I don't hate it, but Debrusk would be a rental. Calgary can't afford him going forward without moving someone out substantial.

Same goes for Strome - he's not getting a QO at $3.6.

Reactions: Deen

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Don’t know each teams specific needs enough to comment on the value but very impressive that you’ve created a 3 way that fans of all teams seem to like… so far :sarcasm:

Reactions: Muffinalt

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Zero chance Flames resign DeBrusk and LW depth is the last thing Calgary needs so I dont see the incentive for Calgary here
The incentive is Calgary is currently atop the western conference and needs some more offense in their top 9 to make a somewhat competitive run this year. Debrusk accomplishes this and also doesn’t hurt that he’s a local boy and could perhaps find some spark playing in Alberta. He is an RFA at the end of year so the Flames will have time to decide what to do with him while they settle the rest of the roster. They have lots of work to do with all their RFAs and Johnny being a UFA. Maybe there is a spot for him here depending how he does and the rest of the team shakes out. Worst case scenario, they let him walk at the end of the season and they paid a late 2nd and a prospect to make a run this year. Seems like decent incentive to me.

Ledge And Dairy

The incentive is Calgary is currently atop the western conference and needs some more offense in their top 9 to make a somewhat competitive run this year. Debrusk accomplishes this and also doesn’t hurt that he’s a local boy and could perhaps find some spark playing in Alberta. He is an RFA at the end of year so the Flames will have time to decide what to do with him while they settle the rest of the roster. They have lots of work to do with all their RFAs and Johnny being a UFA. Maybe there is a spot for him here depending how he does and the rest of the team shakes out. Worst case scenario, they let him walk at the end of the season and they paid a late 2nd and a prospect to make a run this year. Seems like decent incentive to me.
When I think of "go for it" deadline acquisitions available this year that add offense DeBrusk is quite a fair bit down that list. Someone will take a shot at rejuvenating him, I really hope it's not Calgary

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not a fan from a Bruins POV. DeBrusk has some problems between the ears that hopefully he will grow out of with a fresh start. Strome has problems with his skates that he will never grow out of. With Bergeron and Coyle, Bruins don't need to get slower down the middle. Pitlick and Lazar just seems like a needless downgrade for the Bruins in the deal.

If the Bruins were going to flip DeBrusk for an overpaid struggling center, it seems like there is an opportunity to deal directly with Calgary and get back a guy that has similar between the ears issues as DeBrusk.

Edit: but one of the better three way deals I’ve seen posted in a while! Good job OP.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
What's a Tyler Pitlick?

And no from Boston's perspective. They already have a #3 center playing the #2 position. They don't need another one that's not a marked improvement.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I guess that's okay.....seems like a pretty weak consolation prize. If Calgary is giving up a 2nd and a descent prospect for a deadline acquisition, I'd hope we can do better than Debrusk. Debrusk has 7 point in 20 games, and ice time in Calgary isn't exactly easy to come by. Debrusk would be like the 10th best forward in Calgary. Calgary is already struggling to find superior players, like Dube and Coleman, more ice time.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
When I think of "go for it" deadline acquisitions available this year that add offense DeBrusk is quite a fair bit down that list. Someone will take a shot at rejuvenating him, I really hope it's not Calgary

I know left shot forwards are not an area of need. But, how many Flames have scored more goals in the playoffs than Debrusk? If I am correct, only one guy (Lucic) on the active roster has any track record for producing in the offseason.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Nope lol.

And I know Pitlick doesn’t score, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked out. I like what he’s done so far. No complaints from me.

Nope lol.

And I know Pitlick doesn’t score, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked out. I like what he’s done so far. No complaints from me.

sure we can. I made sure to at least run it through capfriendly before posting. If you don’t like the value or Debrusk as a player that’s fine, but the cap does work in this deal ..

Attachments

• F5636270-A773-4993-A2F3-9B3864A1A7BE.png
    F5636270-A773-4993-A2F3-9B3864A1A7BE.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 4

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
Not sure on the value really, but have a feeling Sutter would really hurt JDB feelings a lot, haha . He is not a Sutter type player shows zero consistency I dont see it ending well for JDB under a tougher coach than Cassidy. Bruins will let this ride out until the deadline, tons of players have requested trades and their value has not changed because of it. Now is the time to play JDB and hope he snaps out of his funk.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't really care about the pieces leaving Calgary. Just don't think Debrusk is the right fit. We need a winger who can be the best player on our 3rd line and ideally shoots right and can slide into PP2.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I guess that's okay.....seems like a pretty weak consolation prize. If Calgary is giving up a 2nd and a descent prospect for a deadline acquisition, I'd hope we can do better than Debrusk. Debrusk has 7 point in 20 games, and ice time in Calgary isn't exactly easy to come by. Debrusk would be like the 10th best forward in Calgary. Calgary is already struggling to find superior players, like Dube and Coleman, more ice time.
Is Dube superior at this point? I like his macro skills. He's an absolute burner with a good shot, but it doesn't seem to translate on the scoresheet. At some point he needs to pop a bit offensively. The 3rd line looks significantly better with Lewis in his spot. That's a bit of an indictment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Is Dube superior at this point? I like his macro skills. He's an absolute burner with a good shot, but it doesn't seem to translate on the scoresheet. At some point he needs to pop a bit offensively. The 3rd line looks significantly better with Lewis in his spot. That's a bit of an indictment.

I guess you could debate if Debrusk is better than Dube or not....that just means the Flames are bringing in a player that is debatably their 9th best forward. Once again, pretty weak effort if the Flames are going all in. I mean I like Debrusk, but I'd rather have the Flames bring an actual good player who is going to make a large impact, as opposed to yet another depth player.

If the Flames are just brining in depth players, I'd rather see them bring in a player that fills an actual need, so PP defenceman or physical RW, or even another centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad