Movies: Borderlands (2024) Blanchette, Black, Hart, etc.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
61MwbB2eimL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: John Price

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's a crazy game with a silly premise so hopefully they lean into it hard.

Ceiling: Guardians of the Galaxy
Floor: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The casting seems a little strange for an action adventure aimed at 18-35 year olds who are fans of the games. There's a 14 year old and then everyone else is in their 40s, 50s and even 60s. That's certainly different, but then everything else looks formulaic.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How on earth did they get Cate Blanchett for this? Surely she doesn't need the cash.
I looked it up and Eli Roth wrote and directed this. He also directed the 2018 film The House With a Clock in Its Walls, which starred Cate Blanchett and Jack Black. I suppose that she liked working with him and that familiarity allowed him to convince her to step outside of her comfort zone.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not sure how to feel. Looks like it could be fun but I also get this feeling it could be really disappointing.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
borderlands.jpg

That's the lowest critic's score I can recall.

Yeah I saw somewhere else, maybe IGN had rated it a 3/10, too bad, it had some potential to be fun, but it sounds like it might be a contender for worst video game movie ever made, and considering Uwe Boll has a few entries in that category, that is quite an accomplishment

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Guess you shouldn't give Eli Roth a bigger budget for movies. The three times he was given a bigger budget, only once did the movie broken even - The House with the Clock in the Walls.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It is comical how bad they missed the mark with this.

- Casting a bunch of 50-60 years olds to play 30 year olds because "muh name value" is dumb. That's not to disrespect Cate Blanchett or Jamie Lee Curtis because they're obviously great actresses but they don't belong in a movie like this.

- Casting unfunny midget Kevin Hart to play Roland, the straight man, stoic gruff military man of the group and then having him act in a way he can't do convincingly (that would imply he could act at all, i know) is like...why, man? Unironically falling back on Hollywood's old "eh f*** it, cast The Rock" move would have been a much better play here because the gruff, stoic guy is all Rocky can do.

- Making something that takes place in a brutal, violent, dystopian hellscape where the law of the land is essentially kill things as brutally as possible PG-13 with basically no violence/blood. And then proceeding to double down on this by featuring Kreig, a literal bloodthirsty psychopath despite that in mind.

- Tiny Tina in general

- Acting like Lilith being a siren is some "woah holy shit really?" moment when the first game explains this to you within 5 minutes of starting it up.

I can't say i'm surprised it was bad, i feel like pretty much everyone expected that. I was not however, expecting a level of bad that puts it in the same breath as other irredeemable trash like Cats and Morbius. Then again Borderlands has a total of one good entry to the point even the IP holder doesn't understand what made people love it. f*** you, Randy Pitchford. Greasy bastard.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think I'd rather rewatch Assassin's Creed then this.... and I walked out 1/2 way through Assassin's Creed

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As someone who's not familiar with the game, my impression from the trailers was that they're trying to ape Guardians of the Galaxy.

Trying to mimic a different IP in your marketing campaign is never a good idea IMO.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Havent played the game but knew the concept. It had potential, but not enough time to make it work at all. This could have worked as a series that could have ran for few seasons, like Fall Out.

Just too much, too over. And not going all in with the core to keep it Rated… Trying to fit all the fan stuff in too. Featured with over acting and rushing everywhere..

Cut out 50% of the scenes and add that time to develope chemistry and depth to the characters and maybe you get something. Some castings were terrible too. Biggest problem i had was suprisingly with Jack Blacks voice acting, that just didnt fit in at all. This just didnt work at all.

Was close to leaving at 30minutes but struggled through. Once you accept its just bad, its actually watchable.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This movie did pretty much nothing well.

-The characters have back-stories in the games. Those are completely ignored for the movie.
-The games have plots. Those are completely ignored for the movie.
-The characters have personalities in the games. Those are completely ignored for the movie.
-The Borderlands franchise has an introductory exposition voice. It's not Lilith. The easiest win in this entire movie would have been to have Marcus do the intro voice-over, but they couldn't even get that right. Started off on the wrong foot, and it only got worse from there.

A lot can be excused if you make a good movie. This wasn't a good movie.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
To no one's surprise, the movie is officially a bomb with a small $8.8M opening weekend. I hope that Randy Pitchford is happy.

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad