Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Babe Ruth" likes this--made me smile. That would be the "go-to" name in this instance.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
9780345804327_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Rise Up and Call Them Blessed. (Seabrook).

Victorian era collection of Union & Confederate vets, wives, widows reminiscing on the Confederate soldier. Most of the writings and speeches are from mid-1890s. Compiled chronologically, w/some cool little historical sketches, photos.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
eisenhower.jpg

Eisenhower is one of my favorite historical figures. My opinion, he's an underrated prez & human being.
Only initial complaint about this read; it has a lot of Eisenhower back story. Based on it's title, I thought it would solely cover Ike's presidency. I'm assuming a reader who'd seek out a book w/this title would already basically know (& not desire) Ike's bio..

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The History of Abbey Road Studios. The first purposely built recording studio in the world. Very interesting beginnings using wax masters. One take, and if you blew it, you just wasted a wax and had to start over from scratch.

Switched to tape after it was first used by the Germans during the war. Early fifties and George Martin makes his debut. Now at the late 50's era and George Martin is already the top guy in the Parlophone division.

Now getting excited cause I know what's coming next.

Reactions: GB

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
My girl just purchased Journey to the End of the Night, No Country for Old Men, Cosmopolis (DeLillo) and Poor Folk (Dosto) for my birthday. So psyched to go through them!

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Got an Indigo gift card:

Selected Stories by Alice Munro
Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov
Laughter in the Dark by Vladimir Nabokov
I Married a Communist by Philip Roth
The Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever
Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimov

Wanted to get a record but their offerings are a disgrace. But I should be set for books for a long while.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
I'm reading a very interesting economic book on the growth of artificial intelligence.

Basically AI has already started taking jobs and it will only get worse. We need to take action now, not 15 years from now. It is startling how much of the food sector as well as trucking and retail have already been hit by AI. Jobs are already being lost to computers right now. The store you go to probably has a self-checkout counter already. :laugh:

The book states that we are hiring less and less people than we did in years past, and AI will only make that more true. You don't need as many employees at a company when you have AI doing a job better than a human (especially when it comes to driving and trucking, there is higher error rate for a human driver that is working 12 hours a day as opposed to a robot)

Reactions: Babe Ruth and GB

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I still can't embed images...

Anyway, working slowly through three books:

1. Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

2. Is it Still Good to Ya? 50 Years of Rock Criticism by Robert Christgau

3. Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens
vxziMB

Reactions: Amerika and GB

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gauguin's Intimate Journals, by Paul Gauguin. A totally interesting guy, a successful businessman who chucked everything, including career, wife and kids, and went to Tahiti to paint--though he had never shown such proclivities before--and in time produced great and beautiful art. I'm curious to see what he has to say about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad