Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part 3

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
71mKm2HV3zL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Author analyzes Washington's attitudes and policies toward American Indians in 3 stages of his life.. as a soldier in the French and Indian War.. Revolutionary War.. and during his two presidential terms.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
61VVnTAzgwL.jpg

A biorobotics guy attempts to solve the obstacles with animal tracking devices & computer models in studying wild animals. The biorobotics expert & author (Long) builds a simple robotic creature in an effort to follow it thru its evolutionary development in the wild.
Book is kinda dry & technical so far.. but it did sound like an intriguing concept.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
The New Church Ladies (Jim Goad. 2017)

Funny, but scathing, analysis of (specifically White) Liberals and leftists.
The author's basic premise is that the modern Left operates with a religious zeal, so they are the modern, overbearing "church ladies".
An inexpensive book, and I already feel the first three, brief chapters were worth the book's price of admission.

Reactions: Trow

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
719LD-C2bfL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Overview of the political events between the 1860 election of Lincoln, and the start of the Civil War. A period I don't think is well understood/analyzed by Americans.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Discrete Mathematics; by Sherwood Washburn, Thomas Marlowe, and Charles T. Ryan

Discrete mathematics is basically logic for computer science majors.

Contents:
1. Sets, subsets, induction, and recursion
2. Integers, remainders, and the Golden Ratio
3. Functions, relations, and counting
4. Graphs (i.e. configurations of nodes)
5. Proof techniques and logic
6. Boolean algebras, Boolean functions, and logic
---
7. Graphs and relations
8. Algorithms
9. Combinatorics
10. Models of computation

Reactions: Thucydides

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
51C3226XuGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The board game backstory on Monopoly. Lots of tangents, which makes sense because the creation of a board game might have a hard time filling an entire book.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
61XIMxHjj3L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Kind of an interesting topic.. Something I never thought about, because Germany lost some of their colonial natural resources as condition of their WWI surrender.. they turned disproportionately to synthetic stimulants. This book covers their relationship and struggle with synthetic stimulants/amphetamines.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
81bZ4FsCBEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Quick read on famous tight ends, and how they contributed to the position. Starts with Mike Ditka and Cardinal: Jackie Smith, who both ended up in Dallas for a while.
Gronk, Gonzalez, Sharpe, Shockey, etc.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Discrete Mathematics; by Sherwood Washburn, Thomas Marlowe, and Charles T. Ryan

Discrete mathematics is basically logic for computer science majors.

Contents:
1. Sets, subsets, induction, and recursion
2. Integers, remainders, and the Golden Ratio
3. Functions, relations, and counting
4. Graphs (i.e. configurations of nodes)
5. Proof techniques and logic
6. Boolean algebras, Boolean functions, and logic
---
7. Graphs and relations
8. Algorithms
9. Combinatorics
10. Models of computation

Are you a math major, or just nerding out on math textbooks? At least, I’m assuming based on the contents you provided it’s a textbook? Just curious haha

Have you read Euclid’s Elements yet ?

• Haha
Reactions: Hippasus

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Are you a math major, or just nerding out on math textbooks? At least, I’m assuming based on the contents you provided it’s a textbook? Just curious haha

Have you read Euclid’s Elements yet ?
Thank you for asking. No, I have not read Elements, This might be a dream for the future. Yes, I am a math major and I was on-time in all regards this past week (first week of the semester). Discrete Mathematics? No that was a failed experiment, although I may attempt to take an intro to computer science class in the spring. I got to page 80 out of 360 or so, but I kept shuffling around my particular courses for this fall and spring. To be honest, the subject matter really interests me. But I want to graduate in greater than or equal to a year. Knock on wood.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Thank you for asking. No, I have not read Elements, This might be a dream for the future. Yes, I am a math major and I was on-time in all regards this past week (first week of the semester). Discrete Mathematics? No that was a failed experiment, although I may attempt to take an intro to computer science class in the spring. I got to page 80 out of 360 or so, but I kept shuffling around my particular courses for this fall and spring. To be honest, the subject matter really interests me. But I want to graduate in greater than or equal to a year. Knock on wood.

Good luck to you this year.

IMG_9223.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad