GDT: Bolts vs Canes Meaningless Version 2

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
If forced to pay full price for these preseason games as full season ticket holder, at least tonight we had most of the real team against a lesser team so it was a positive game and increased chance of leaving with a win….

Interesting approach by Tampa to ice the kids but use Vasi to help offset and keep the score under control. Vasi got a games worth of work in two periods. Better approach I think than what they did with our game on Wed.

Love Carrier and his effort and work rate…. might have to get the jersey. He is perfect for the staal line

Morrow had a couple good moments going forward on offense. That’s what he is comfortable with… it’s the d that is the area that needs the most work…. It wasn’t necessarily his fault that Orlov was making mistakes and leaving Morrow in the lurch to have to try to cover for him. But Morrow also didn’t exactly bail out Orlov either…

Which is also why morrow should never ever ever ever be placed on a pairing with orlov ever again if it’s a game that counts if they are going to play like that. Any good stuff got overshadowed with some pretty big gaffes..

PK handled the weird feast or famine crazy high danger stuff in between stretches of nothing very well. Outshooting the other team 3 to 1 but giving up scary good chances is typical canes hockey but also really hard for a goalie to deal with… it feels like a bad outing is right there waiting to sneak up on us but at the same time he has really come along since his first games with us and could be really good for us this year. I’m not going to confuse him with prime Vasi…. But he can help us win games for sure as our #1A option…

The Jost/Gagner/Blake line slapped together was interesting to watch. Terrible line combo overall but that’s what happens in preseason….Gagner had moments of clearly showing why he has played so long and instinctively knew the right spot to skate to for the play as it developed and played out…he just may not have the skates anymore to get there consistently when the games count. Blake was in so many wrong spots at times it overshadowed his few good plays and that he had the most jump in his skates of the three… jost knows what to do but just doesn’t seem to physically have the traits to actually do what his brain is telling his body to do. He can take face offs (poorly it seemed but I didn’t look at any stats all night while watching in the arena)… he screams tweener to me and even in a fake game against not a full nhl roster on Tampa side Jost didn’t make himself known. Based on history, if Brindy is having to decide between those three for a roster spot based solely on that one game, I would assume Brindy would demand we sign Gagner to a min deal and play him as the 13th forward and the other two would be in Chicago, with Blake getting a lot more playing time in all situations and using the opportunity down there to learn in a less pressured environment..

The rest of the roster looked like they were playing a preseason game… spurts of effort but not sustained full effort because they know the games don’t count and were keeping the wicks turned down a bit for now…

Interesting to watch some of the new wrinkles they were working on…. Every season the coaching staff tweaks elements of how we play… tonight there was a concerted effort to work on quick east west puck movement to catch a team chasing and get open ice from the shift.. also really worked on trying to go cross ice to the slot even if the Tampa players were blanketing the slot… very little bumper work thankfully as that was found out and well defended as last season went on…they at least were trying to have faster passes and pucks moving side to side than just standing there holding the puck.. needs work but little glimmers here and there and cool to see the new wrinkles they are trying out here in preseason..

ETA.. I brought two new fans to the game tonight so spent a lot of time answering questions and chatting about canes topics. So wasn’t watching as critically and intensely as I normally do. But I noticed numerous times with the KK/Svech/Necas line where KK was slide over into the winger spot and Necas was playing more center positioning… might have just been the way the play developed those few times I noticed it.., but thought that was interesting given how much ink and message board text was spent talking about Necas feelings about continuing to play for the canes………..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad