Bobby Orr's defensive prowess

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Ted Green -- for three seasons -- is particularly notable because he was Orr's teammate and was a defense-only, shut-down kind of guy

Really good post. I'll just take a little exception here. Ted Green is way more than that. He could really play. He was the second best puck rusher on those Bruins teams. He had some skill. If anything, he had more holes defensively than Orr did. Don't let that "terrible" moniker fool you haha

This is engrained in my head about Green because when I go back and watch old Bruins games, I sometimes see a player going for a rush or making a play or something like that and go, "Hmmm, that's an uncharacteristic mistake from Orr..." and then as the picture becomes clearer, it's a 6 and not a 4...that relieves the confusion instantly...

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Really good post. I'll just take a little exception here. Ted Green is way more than that. He could really play. He was the second best puck rusher on those Bruins teams. He had some skill. If anything, he had more holes defensively than Orr did. Don't let that "terrible" moniker fool you haha
I'm sure you're right, as I never saw him play.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
And yet you know so much more than someone who watched his full career, as well as part of Harvey's, and the entire life of the WHA.
I do not claim to know more than anyone, including you. My post details a basic statistical analysis and (to the best of my memory) summarizes a contemporary-assessment of Orr's prime-era defensive results/skill (respectively), which suggests very strongly that Orr's purely defensive play (if defence exists in a vacuum) was above average and maybe elite.

If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but you might then ask yourself why Orr's defensive results are statistically better than his peers who were directly behind him in Norris voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad