Value of: Bob with 35-40% retained.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He’d have to waive this year for any trade, has a modified no movement after next season. I think Bob at 6-6.5 per (only 17.5 in real money still owed) is more palatable than his current rubbish.

There’s obviously question marks with him, 3 coaches have chose a rookie and two journeyman goalies over him in the playoffs (Driedger, Knight, and Lyon), but when he’s on he’s solid.

Not sure what Zito does with him this off-season, just gauging interest, or the overall lack thereof. Would mean we’re going with Knight (provided he’s back and ready) and Lyon maybe.

Not really opposed to 50% retention.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Even with retention, it feels like an asset needs to be attached to move him. No team with cap space would want to fall on that sword if they are trying to be competitive. You said it yourself, basically every other option the panthers have become a better option than bob. Other teams have better options too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’d have to waive this year for any trade, has a modified no movement after next season. I think Bob at 6-6.5 per (only 17.5 in real money still owed) is more palatable than his current rubbish.

There’s obviously question marks with him, 3 coaches have chose a rookie and two journeyman goalies over him in the playoffs (Driedger, Knight, and Lyon), but when he’s on he’s solid.

Not sure what Zito does with him this off-season, just gauging interest, or the overall lack thereof. Would mean we’re going with Knight (provided he’s back and ready) and Lyon maybe.

Limited NTC, but still the NMC which ensures he's on the 23 man roster for the remainder of his career.

Honestly, goalie is the one position where you can't hide a bad contract. Have to play your other goalie around 25 games. It's the one position you can't afford to be wrong on. Overpay a Dman by $2-3 million, you can just give them 15 minutes of ice vs 22-25 minutes. Goalies, no where to hide them.

Figure what teams will be on his list that he'd agree to go to? Any of them a nice weather rebuilding team? If not, probably not going to happen.

Reactions: Silky mitts

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

Even at 50% that's still 5 million per for three years, starting goaltenders are getting that around the league and he isn't a starter anymore. The going rate has been about a first rounder for every year of a cap hit around 5million so simply dumping him would be extremely expensive. Maybe if you take a bad contract back that evens out the cap hits then some team may bite, although as the poster above said goaltenders are much tougher to hide compared to other roster players who you can simply sit if they can't play. And you wouldn't get any cap savings in this scenario. Buyout seems like the only option.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
If the Jets go full blow up this summer and end up selling off Hellebuyck, there could be a deal around Bob @ 25% retained + a 1st + a B prospect for the last season of Wheeler. Send Blake back to his favourite coach Maurice for one last kick at the can.

And basically the Jets ride Bobrovsky for the next few seasons of rebuilding.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If the Sharks don't get Bedard or Fantilli this summer I could stomach taking on Bobrovsky at this rate. We will have a lot of space opening up and we only have Kahkonen signed in play in net. Would like to ask for a 1st + B prospect in addition.

But if we the Sharks win the lottery, I think we try to expedite the rebuild.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Jets go full blow up this summer and end up selling off Hellebuyck, there could be a deal around Bob @ 25% retained + a 1st + a B prospect for the last season of Wheeler. Send Blake back to his favourite coach Maurice for one last kick at the can.

Bob is not putting Winnipeg on his trade list.

Trade list is half the league, but pretty sure almost all of the northern cities are going to be on his list with exceptions like to be NY, Boston, Chicago for example.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Trade list is half the league, but pretty sure almost all of the northern cities are going to be on his list with exceptions like to be NY, Boston, Chicago for example.

Perhaps Bob would like to come to San Jose? Nice weather here. He's been in Ohio which is ridiculously humid. Winnipeg would be ridiculously dry. San Jose would be perfectly in between.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Florida doesn't have a 1st until 2026, so you're waiting a while for it.

I think Florida might need to buy his ass out

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Nobody is touching maybe the worst contract in the league. Even with a 1st and a prospect added on, just don't see it happening.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Nobody is touching maybe the worst contract in the league. Even with a 1st and a prospect added on, just don't see it happening.

And he’d have to waive his NTC. It’s so weird that people post threads where it’s like “sure, he ensured he doesn’t have to move, but what if we moved him?” What motive would Bob have to do that? He’s arguably in a great spot, making millions as backup for a talented team.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Florida has no 1sts until 2026 to attach to him.

Bob retained for Merzlikins with some cap savings makes the most sense, Bob was actually successful in Columbus to the point where they might prefer him at ~7 mil to Merzlikins at 5.4

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Florida has no 1sts until 2026 to attach to him.

Bob retained for Merzlikins with some cap savings makes the most sense, Bob was actually successful in Columbus to the point where they might prefer him at ~7 mil to Merzlikins at 5.4
He had his sustained success under goalie coach Ian Clark, not specifically this organization. Send him to Vancouver.

Reactions: Laus723

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

For the upcoming season, he’s on a NMC. So, he can veto any trade deal.

In two years, then the 16-team NTC kicks in.

Your point stands… can’t see Bob going to Winnipeg.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally... I'm not seeing how you get out of the Bob contract.

He lives in Florida. He's got 3 years left on his deal and is 34 years old.

Could you convince Chicago (or some other bottom-dwelling team) to take him? Sure.

But he has a full NMC next year followed by a 50% of the league no-trade list for the following 2. For a goalie it's VERY easy to stretch that 16-team list.

While you can make the justification that he'd be a decent fit with a young team trying to make the next step (a la Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo), those teams are far from the most desirable locales, and are likely going to be weary of the term on his deal.

The logical destination to me, would be Anaheim. For whatever reason, i think Gibson has value (maybe to one of those 3 teams). If Gibson goes, Bob could come right into his spot at maybe a little bit higher cap hit. Anaheim gets whatever they get for Gibson, plus something from Florida for taking on Bob. 1 less year of term as well... so gives them some runway to try and develop a goalie.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
With weather and the competitiveness of his club, Bobrovsky is where he wants to be already. He's still not waiving his full NMC this offseason.

Next summer, he and his agent will carefully assemble a list of teams he'd accept a trade to, teams that would never want him and/or be able to find the cap room to add him. That gets him pretty close to full power to veto any realistic trades, though it leaves a very slim margin to trade him. How in the world they might do that without a first rounder until 2057 is a mystery, but whatever.

Still, the likelihood is that he's going nowhere next summer. It's a certainty this summer. They have to play him, and they have to work with him, and they have to get the most out of this player. Otherwise, he really is going to be dead weight.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
You're going to need to move something you won't want to, to move him. Whether that's a pick, a roster player or a combination of the two, that's going to be the price along with retention. He's just been that bad and his contract is even worse.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally... I'm not seeing how you get out of the Bob contract.

He lives in Florida. He's got 3 years left on his deal and is 34 years old.

Could you convince Chicago (or some other bottom-dwelling team) to take him? Sure.

But he has a full NMC next year followed by a 50% of the league no-trade list for the following 2. For a goalie it's VERY easy to stretch that 16-team list.

While you can make the justification that he'd be a decent fit with a young team trying to make the next step (a la Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo), those teams are far from the most desirable locales, and are likely going to be weary of the term on his deal.

The logical destination to me, would be Anaheim. For whatever reason, i think Gibson has value (maybe to one of those 3 teams). If Gibson goes, Bob could come right into his spot at maybe a little bit higher cap hit. Anaheim gets whatever they get for Gibson, plus something from Florida for taking on Bob. 1 less year of term as well... so gives them some runway to try and develop a goalie.
Ducks have been bad for 5 seasons now. 5 top 10 picks i clueing 3 in the top 5. They aren’t in a position to write off the next 3 seasons. Have to look to turn it around sooner rather than later.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
With weather and the competitiveness of his club, Bobrovsky is where he wants to be already. He's still not waiving his full NMC this offseason.

Next summer, he and his agent will carefully assemble a list of teams he'd accept a trade to, teams that would never want him and/or be able to find the cap room to add him. That gets him pretty close to full power to veto any realistic trades, though it leaves a very slim margin to trade him. How in the world they might do that without a first rounder until 2057 is a mystery, but whatever.

Still, the likelihood is that he's going nowhere next summer. It's a certainty this summer. They have to play him, and they have to work with him, and they have to get the most out of this player. Otherwise, he really is going to be dead weight.
If they bought him out, could they trade off part of that money (I'd assume a buyout at his age and hit would equal something like 20M total) with a pick for a 7th to another team or is that against the rules?

He had his sustained success under goalie coach Ian Clark, not specifically this organization. Send him to Vancouver.
Given this, if I was the Cats, I would pull out the stops to get Ian Clark to Florida.

Reactions: ShootIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad