Bob McKenzie's Top 75 rankings for 2010

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wow Bennett at 18

The scuttlebut seems to infer that there are several players that are much higher on certain teams list than the rest of the field. I wouldn't be surprised if the chips fall right and Bennett, Campbell, McIlrath, Etem, Hayes, and Coyle are all picked much higher than expected.

4thliner*

Someone is gonna be very happy with picking Tarasenko at 16 or lower in 2 years time, as in like picking Hall/Seguin happy.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Justin Faulk starting to get some first round talk. I like him a lot, probably more so than his more highly-touted teammate Derek Forbort.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Someone is gonna be very happy with picking Tarasenko at 16 or lower in 2 years time, as in like picking Hall/Seguin happy.

I'm hoping the Rangers pick him at 10, if he's there and they feel confident he'll come over.

If that is indeed the case (him coming over) I doubt they pass on him...and they've got some good connection to help sort those things out and don't worry about picking Russians. There were two interesting bits in the article about the rankings re: Russians:

With each passing year, more and more NHL teams are expressing reservations if not all out rejection of drafting Russian players because of the uncertainty of when or if they'll come to the NHL or whether they'll return to the KHL and Russia the first time they hit a bump in the road in North America. There are more than a few NHL teams who are going into the 2010 entry draft with an unwritten policy of NOT drafting any Russian players no matter what.

"We just can't afford to take the chance on them not coming or leaving once they get here," one scout said. "They're just not a consideration for us at all right now."

New York Ranger director of player personnel Gordie Clark said the Rangers have enormous faith in their Russian scouting staff to advise them on which Russians are good bets or not and they try to judge each player on his own merit. The Rangers, of course, took Alexei Cherepanov 17th overall in 2007 and Cherepanov was scheduled to come to the NHL but tragically died on the ice in a KHL game because of a heart condition.

Clark's openness to considering Russian talent has spurred a lot of talk that the Rangers could use the 10th overall pick in this year's draft to take a Russian, but there are clearly more organizations that are fearful, some to the point where choosing a Russian is not even a consideration.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yeah I noticed that. Upset to see no scouting report on guys outside the top 30

TSN does not do a scouting report they(Bob) talk to scouts and orgs and get an idea of what there lists look like and combine them to make this list. The blurbs are taken from Various scouting services like Central Scouting,ISS and Redline. Maybe you should pay for a guide if you want to see that kind of stuff

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Bennett is the biggest surprise to me. also with no Knight in the top80 is a surprise too

and LOL at Kabanov was touted as a top5 pick and now he's 43rd. thats insane and unheard of

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With each passing year, more and more NHL teams are expressing reservations if not all out rejection of drafting Russian players because of the uncertainty of when or if they'll come to the NHL or whether they'll return to the KHL and Russia the first time they hit a bump in the road in North America. There are more than a few NHL teams who are going into the 2010 entry draft with an unwritten policy of NOT drafting any Russian players no matter what.

"We just can't afford to take the chance on them not coming or leaving once they get here," one scout said. "They're just not a consideration for us at all right now."

Sounds liek a team who has traded away alot of draft picks

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Only shocks to me: McIlrath 15th, Bickley 47th and Lindberg 50th. I had the last 2 far later.

And of course, no Jared Knight. Someone twitter Bobby Mac about his omission!

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
I'm just gonna say right now I don't see ANYONE seriously giving Hall a run for his money, he will go wire-to-wire like Stamkos.

I'd love the Leafs to be in a position to pick up Gudbranson but I think when all is said and done he'll go top 3. McFarland however, I think will be a realistic target. He's a gamer, love the way that kid plays the game.

I made that statement almost a year ago. I wrong about no one challenging Hall, but I got the Gudbranson part.

Edit: Actually it's been more than a year since I made that statement.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Kabanov at 43 doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, if anything, I'm surprised he isn't lower. Wasn't he 38th on an earlier TSN ranking anyways? It's obvious that there are MUCH wiser choices out there.

anatsu

twitter: @finanatsu
May 31, 2010
Finland
No Troy Rutkowski? I have been hoping that Thrashers could take guy on the second round. What I have read about him, I have got feeling that he would be good offensive d-man, but Bobby Mac seems to think other.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
No Troy Rutkowski? I have been hoping that Thrashers could take guy on the second round. What I have read about him, I have got feeling that he would be good offensive d-man, but Bobby Mac seems to think other.

McKenzie polls his scouting contacts, so it's not that he personally thinks a certain player isn't worthy of a higher ranking. That's just the composite ranking of the various scouts/contacts that he uses.

But as the draft goes further outside the top prospects, a composite ranking won't necessarily be as accurate. Ie, if five scouts have Player X as a 3rd rounder and one scout has him as a 2nd rounder, he'll end up on McKenzie's list as a 3rd rounder. But the team that has the player ranked as a 2nd rounder may very well take him in round 2. All it takes is one team to like a player a little more than the 'consensus.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad