Bob McKenzie's 2023 mid-season draft rankings

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I've been waiting for this. Figured it would come out after the top prospects game. That's roughly the order I have the top 20 in. Sale higher and Moore lower are the only material disagreements for me.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sale is too low but overall it seems pretty inline with recent trends.

- Tight context between Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov (whether you believe Michkov is easily second best and I do - the concept that he may not get picked second seems very valid).

- ASP and Reinbacher emerging as the front runner blueliners.

- Yager slipping some but not much because of his upside.

- Barlow emerging as the big OHL front runner.

- The US kids being underrated with Smith having a shot at top 5 and Leonard and Moore as potential top 10-15 guys.

- Honzek continuing to rise…Cristal rising but perhaps not as high as his stats suggest due to some lingering questions about his pro transition perhaps.

Seems to be confirming a lot of trends posters here have already been discussing.

InAG-P

Jun 19, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
Sale is too low but overall it seems pretty inline with recent trends.

- Tight context between Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov (whether you believe Michkov is easily second best and I do - the concept that he may not get picked second seems very valid).

- ASP and Reinbacher emerging as the front runner blueliners.

- Yager slipping some but not much because of his upside.

- Barlow emerging as the big OHL front runner.

- The US kids being underrated with Smith having a shot at top 5 and Leonard and Moore as potential top 10-15 guys.

- Honzek continuing to rise…Cristal rising but perhaps not as high as his stats suggest due to some lingering questions about his pro transition perhaps.

Seems to be confirming a lot of trends posters here have already been discussing.
Another thing to note is the Bobby Mac made is crystal clear Michkov is really the only one he'd consider to be able to "challenge" Bedard at #1 based on pure skill but he drops because of all the uncertainty

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Excuse my ignorance since I haven't been following prospects closely recently, but I remember seeing comments in a game thread during the World Juniors that Fantilli was being exposed as overrated, not truly a top prospect, etc. I guess that was just ranting, or do some still feel that way?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Something about this list that bothers me a bit is that it’s really going for safety over upside outside of the top six guys. Yager, Barlow, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Ritchie, and Danielson all safely project to be middle-six forwards in some capacity, but none of them have first line upside.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Also why not Sprynar in the top 80? He is around the same level as Molnar I would say and he is there at 63.

• Haha
Reactions: stastny12

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Excuse my ignorance since I haven't been following prospects closely recently, but I remember seeing comments in a game thread during the World Juniors that Fantilli was being exposed as overrated, not truly a top prospect, etc. I guess that was just ranting, or do some still feel that way?

People ranting that a draft-eligible guy is not ripping the lid off the scoresheet at a tournament that is traditionally dominated by 19-year olds would be how I would take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad