Bob McKenzie Pre Season 2025 Draft Rankings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
To be fair he was also the best defender on his team if not top 3 in the entire u18 tournament as an underage, it would be disingenuous to say he’s only at 2 because of one Hlinka. I did not watch the u17WHC but he was apparently excellent there as well

He's definitely at No. 2 because of the Hlinka. The Hlinka was his coming out party to date. It was one of the most dominant performances by a defenseman we've seen in over a decade, if not longer. I never thought his solid U18 WC performance was enough to put him over Ryabkin, Frondell, Misa, Martone, etc. and quick look at nearly all the mainstream rankings prior to the Hlinka had him out of the top five.

What I was talking about is McKenzie's double standard. Frondell can be docked as a 2C for the (false) perception that he isn't an elite point producer and Hagens as a 2C for his size, but Schaefer is a mortal lock for a top pairing despite not delivering elite production in league play and about to miss a chunk of his draft season with mono.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The write-ups send mixed messages, assuming because it is trying to recap the thoughts of multiple sources. I don’t think there is much to really get outraged over in terms of pre-season rankings go.

To me this just crystallizes that there is a top 5 tier at the starting blocks and the arrangement of 2-5 after Hagens is questionable and anybody outside that is going to have to force their way into the convo.

Frondell is still at #3. Martone is still at #4. I don’t think these are outrageous slights.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
So apparently, according to Central Scouting, Hagens is officially 5'11. I suppose they could be rounding up from 5'10.5, but that is his official height.

At what point do size "concerns" go away for most GMs?
please. Before the draft combine, every prospect are always a little bit taller. I'm sure he is more around 5f10.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It was a measurement taken by Central Scouting according to the article, so....
This is reminding me of the guy who got very aggressive because we all said Buium was probably 6'0" and not 6'2" and and same guy also tried to argue that Sennecke growing from 5'10" to 6'2" wasn't a big deal and probably didn't happen.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
He's definitely at No. 2 because of the Hlinka. The Hlinka was his coming out party to date. It was one of the most dominant performances by a defenseman we've seen in over a decade, if not longer. I never thought his solid U18 WC performance was enough to put him over Ryabkin, Frondell, Misa, Martone, etc. and quick look at nearly all the mainstream rankings prior to the Hlinka had him out of the top five.

What I was talking about is McKenzie's double standard. Frondell can be docked as a 2C for the (false) perception that he isn't an elite point producer and Hagens as a 2C for his size, but Schaefer is a mortal lock for a top pairing despite not delivering elite production in league play and about to miss a chunk of his draft season with mono.
I wouldn't call it a double standard so much as there's context behind his numbers. Important to remember who Schaefer is playing for when one critiques his offensive output. Stan Butler hockey is a pretty boring if not consistent brand of hockey. Not really known for producing offensive dynamos from the back end, especially if they are 16. His numbers were fine last year and the fact that he was great amongst his peers in his age group should calm down some worries about his production going forward. Erie is going to be a good team this year. He'll produce accordingly.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
sounded like hagens is number 1 but not a star no 1 like bedard or even macklins level
At the start of the year, yes, this is true. But lots of people think he has higher offensive upside than Macklin. We'll see how he does between Perreault and Leonard... at the very least it's a clean comparison to a Smith-style prospect, although from my viewings Hagens has a bit better defensive game at the same point of development, maybe a bit more tenacious in the OZ, but maybe a bit sloppier on the breakout/in transition.

Macklin was not seen as a great 1OA at the beginning of last year, in fact many said the draft looked quite weak even at the top, other than the 6 D... he built a much stronger reputation as the season went on and solidified 1OA and then solidified "holy shit, franchise C"... so there's still a lot of movement likely with Hagens and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad